Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 21:46:41
Page:  1 
Hero or Villian Started by: Ghost on Mar 07, '08 00:03
The shrouded one walks up to the soap box and gathers everyones attention.

Hello everyone. Today I've come out here to discuss something that I've been thinking about for a while. Does this world need heroes and villians in order to function? For example, people that go rogues are "villians" to the majority of the community and they're "heroes" to their friends. Along these same lines we feel the need to put everyone in one of these categories. People who don't want to bother with gray areas make excuses for their friends in the hero category whether they deserve it or not.

One true constant in the world is that the most evil of people think they're doing a "heroic" thing. People who can justify their actions in their own minds are heroes whether anyone else believes the same or not. So what do you do when you come across an evil plan? Lets say that its completely justified with logic that actually makes almost complete sense. Do you see the plan at face value as an evil plot or do you choose to agree with logic that mostly makes sense? Will you even be able to tell the difference?

These questions should be in everyones mind when they get pulled into a plot that they think will change the world. Many people as of recently see evil as a dominance over the world but wouldn't the greater evil be complete chaos? With all this being said, heroes everywhere will see the evil in everyone elses plans but not their own. The difference between a hero and a villian in our world is the hero lives on to wear a bold suit and the villian will be in the obituary section of the next newspaper.

The shrouded one goes off to scare people and prepare for the next Halloween.
Report Post Tip
What you brought up is something very unique to the cities and times we live in. The cops used to be the enemy. The civilians saw us as either heroes or villains. But never did we see each other in those ways. Our thing is supposed to be a brotherhood. This isn't a naive or liberal speech, I ain't saying we should all get along and join hands. But the foundations of our thing was supposed to be a brotherhood. Beyond rank which is necessary, look at our rules. Don't disrespect, touch, or interfere with the money making of any fellow member of our thing.

Then look at the evolution of it. 100 years ago in Sicily it was about the Italian people not being slaves to landowners. We came to the states and had similar motives. I think somewhere along the line it became all about money. That is the LCN I was raised in during the roaring 20's.

Today it seems to be mostly about power. We don't work together anymore. By 1950 we might be beating each other and hitting on each others wifes.

We don't have that bond anymore. I'd even venture to say less than 25% of us are Italian these days. We don't work together. We hate each other. Power gets abused either in reality or in the eyes of the individual, and men and women become willing to die to remove or weaken that power.

With that, you are right sir. We do create that concept of heroes and villains. Me? I'm old school. I'm a wop that makes money and feeds his family.
Report Post Tip
Yes, This world needs them. We need people to step up and say "I won't stand for that." or we'd be complacent. We are not sheep. And some times we need people to be willing to let the world know as much.
Report Post Tip
Intresting point Msty whatever, what is your stance on someone who went rogue because his freinds did.

They didnt ask he just did it.
Report Post Tip
Does this world need heroes and villians in order to function?

Not really. What this world really needs is men and women who will act with honor and loyalty. That doesn't automatically make you a hero, just a good mafioso.

For example, people that go rogues are "villians" to the majority of the community and they're "heroes" to their friends.

That's because their friends, like the rogues themselves, are asshats.

One true constant in the world is that the most evil of people think they're doing a "heroic" thing. People who can justify their actions in their own minds are heroes whether anyone else believes the same or not. So what do you do when you come across an evil plan? Lets say that its completely justified with logic that actually makes almost complete sense. Do you see the plan at face value as an evil plot or do you choose to agree with logic that mostly makes sense? Will you even be able to tell the difference?

Interesting. This is called moral equivalence, if I'm not mistaken. The problem is that we DO have a absolute moral standard to follow. Honor. Loyalty. Omerta. These things should govern, or at least strongly influence, or actions.

True, good and evil are slippery concepts. Luckily, it should be the concepts mentioned above and not "good" or "evil" that guide our actions.
These questions should be in everyones mind when they get pulled into a plot that they think will change the world.

Oh please. Nobody, with the exception of first time complete new comers to our shores, is "pulled into" being a rogue. It's a choice that is made.
Report Post Tip
Everyone is just fighting to get what they want. People need to eat. Good and evil? "When you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?"
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Hero or Villian
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL