Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 01:49:01
Page:  1 
Pay it forward Started by: Mayhem on Mar 07, '08 00:51
Me and my fathers have been plagued with blackjack debts for years. Only now have I come to realize that it's pointless. After donating a little cash to my crew I still felt the need to give.... So I did.

You shall too

*What is 10K to a respected mobster? - Nothing,

*What is 10K to a beginning player? - Alot

I know alot of you don't want to give away your well earned cash -

THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

Improve our community - if you have a little extra cash, make it count

If you receive a little extra cash, pay it forward when you can, When and if you can
Report Post Tip
FlyingPig whistles and the men in white jackets rush on to the scene to carry Mayhem away

Why on earth would I give away my money to some scumbag thug lurking in the alleyways? That money goes to my Boss! He's the one I work for. Christ sakes, if I'm not Robin Hood. The only time I would give away my money to charity would be to help some sick children, and only then to put a positive media spin on the notorious mafiosi of Chicago.

Even if these young punks do turn out to someday become a part of my family, I would want them to appreciate the value of hard work. Let them hitchhike down to New Orleans and start out the same way I did - with nothing!

One more thing...which "community" is it you speak of? I live in Chicago. There are many communities in Chicago. The north side and the south side are like two completely different cities. I can't stand them White Sox fans. I wouldn't help them no matter what.
Report Post Tip
Whilst listening, I notice Mayhem has a big ole sign stating :Now accepting donations, please make checks payable to Mayhem

I see your game!

I'm going to have to agree with the aeronautical swine, you can get your hands on my money when you earn it!

Walks off trying to come up with a similar, more subtle plan
Report Post Tip
So why in hell do we have to give money to these slackers BEFORE they become family?

may as well throw money away in that case.

Donate money because some asshatter cannot control his gambling habits? I dare say bullshit to that.

The biggest issue I have with this idea is this:

yes my ancestors have been given a helping hand by former employers of thier parents.But my family line had bust their ass to get it.When a part of my bloodline never had any assistance one would be surprised at how fast you can make your money and be on your way and totally self sufficient.Setting up a program outside the families to make the slackers even more lazy is a piss poor idea.The whole idea that the world owes these people a living is getting to be more than a petty annoyance,not for just me but alot of people around the 6 cities.People need to start putting more energy into doing for themselves rather than leeching of society.And society is to blame too....Do us all a favor and the next time a non family member asks for a donation or begs for cash like a junkie looking for a fix....tell em to fuck off and don't cater to them.Maybe just one day we will have a higher percentage of us who actually know how to survive on our own.
Report Post Tip
Just as I'm leaving, I hear a passionate, emotional response from someone behind me, naturally, I turn around to see who is speaking.

Sweet irony!

Apathy, for someone who's named after the absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement, that's not bad! :P
Report Post Tip
I completely understand where you guys are coming from ----- thats why I wrote This is not for you

This is for people who are a little generous. If you have a million dollars, whats 10K, one time? not even close to 1%, Thats what it is.

Im sorry if you don't want to give away your hard earned cash, fine. But to someone who wants to help out and improve our community. It wont hurt.
Report Post Tip
It could hurt. The person you are helping might join a different family, rank up, and kill your Boss. And guess what? YOU are the one who helped him get started.

We do not exist as a "community". We exist as a collection of individual families. Help your family. Don't help potential adversaries.
Report Post Tip
Fine, if it helps you sleep at night, wait until they join your crew. If you help them out and be friendly early - they're more likely to join your crew.
Report Post Tip
Mayhem, you touched a few points there.

This is for people who are a little generous.

I hope you are not saying that because people don't want to give their money to people they do not know and people who have not earned it, that they are tight? If you are, I think you've missed their point.

Secondly,

But to someone who wants to help out and improve our community.

I will echo Apathy's answer, if we hand out cash to these thugs, we are helping to nurture a lazy society, people who will not know the value of work and money.
Report Post Tip
Which is why it's only 10K. That doesnt exactly call for A life of luxury. But instead helps you get your foot in the door to EARN it.
Report Post Tip
I think our views on society and Omerta differ somewhat. To me, you need to make your own way, like my father did and his father before him.

You mentioned 10k and how small a percentage it is. Yes, your right, and I wouldn't miss 10k but this isn't about the money, it's the concept I disagree with. I personally believe that if we start giving hand outs, we start breeding weakness and laziness in the streets.

Where you would help them get their foot in the door, I would stick my foot up their arse!
Report Post Tip
10k isnt much, even for a civilian. Said civilian will still have to put the effort in to grow,

it just sets good people off in the right direction and makes a friendlier community.

On the flipside though, some will take the piss and just waste their life away as an asshole after you have helped them.
Report Post Tip
I wonder why you don't just talk to this person and bring them onside?

The first of my line received 10k from a Wise Guy.

As a result he thought this Wise Guy, who had given virtually nothing away, was fantastic.

He joined that Wise Guy's family and did everything he could to repay him.

Many, many generations later, I still know that Wise Guy's bloodline and would consider him a great friend.

Clearly, if some of you took a step back and thought about it, for $10,000 and a little effort, getting a loyal follower is a tiny price.
Report Post Tip
The last two post are exactly what im trying to get at. Thank you.
Report Post Tip
Sceedely beeboop boo! I myself was a recipient of close to ten thousand dollars from Mayhem myself when I first landed upon these shores. This gesture has not been lost upon me, and I hope in turn I will someday be able to ladeladelade pay him back, or be able to help a young wayward soul out and in fact pay it forward.

Brilliant idea my m-mah-mah-mah-man of mayhem. You have my deepest respects for thinking not only of yourself and your family, but of the little man too.

Not that I'm a little man. I'm the Scat Man. What what, the Scat Man.
Report Post Tip
I think the only issue I would have here is that the number of new bloodlines arriving on our shores are minimal. Most of those who join our life of crime have bloodlines that stretch back many generations. Knowledge of how to get some quick cash together was passed down by their parents or grandparents - they know what they're doing.

I have seen these types of mobsters masquerading as 'innocents' in order to receive small amounts of cash that quickly add up to something substantial. It's a con, and a good one, but I certainly think it makes a lot of us suspicious.

You see, I wouldn't want the money I spent all day making to be cheated from me.

I think the way to resolve this situation, and I think this is an entirely more pertinent issue at hand, is that all of us could make more of an effort to communicate with those we don't know. Too many of us travel in the same circles, we don't change our connections. And don't get me wrong, I can see why - we haven't got time to be yapping on the side walk when we really need to be making money for our Boss.

But in the interest of bringing wealth into the Six Cities, and increasing the population, perhaps a little bit of effort and perhaps a small down payment of cash to those who genuinely need it would in my opinion, go a very long way.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Pay it forward
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL