Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 21:47:51
Page:  1 
Where everybody knows your name... Started by: Sledge-Hammer on Mar 07, '08 11:57
I'd like to cordially welcome you all to the streets. And pose a quick question if I may. This won't be long and apologies for that but when you are old as I am, you have to get up five times a night to take a piss and it takes its toll.

So anyway, I was wondering. If ou community had a bar, it'd be the equivalent of Cheers. You know, that place established way back before most of us were born where everybody knows your name. God knows, everyone knows the names around here, they all go back to famous faces, back to when Moses wore short pants.

From a strategic standpoint, does this lead you to feel that because of your grandfather, people know your strong suit and thus, what to expect?

A lot of talk about authing new leaders revolves around whether they'll be up to the job. Less talk (for obvsious reasons) concerns itself with the fact that with a largely unchanged set there are very little curveballs people can throw at one another. And the job here is to get to the top, whether you like it or not.

So does having a longer history reduce strategy for the big dogs or make it even more of a necessity in matters of business?
Report Post Tip
It works both ways.

Lets take the UN reign for example.

I will refer to all of my bloodline in the first person here, as well, lets face it, you know it was me anyway.

So, I could not reach Wise Guy. This was not a preference, this was just how they ran the show. They didn't want a threat to rise, so they ruthlessly oppressed any they knew capable of posing a problem. A successful strategy.

Now, plenty of new faces progressed through the ranks then, without much of a problem.

Moving forward, under the Black_Fog era, I had to deal with random wackers killing me just for being CP, any crew I joined dying a few days later, with a whole string of pointless reasons, regardless of what FlyingPig will have you believe.

During this period, plenty of others ranked without a hitch and established themselves as prominent members of the community, whilst I, annoyingly was shot whenever I reached a decent standard.

Now in the present and not so recent past, this has gone to my advantage.

I worked hard and have had my rewards. It hasn't been plain sailing and had I successfully attempted incognito, I would probably have done a lot better.

Certain advantages come with having a long and established lineage. You don't have to try for an invite. You don't have to reply to your subcrew leader. You're granted @ in virtually every channel you visit and you're given positions in a crew structure without having to ask.

As a result, you probably have more enemies than friends, you're going to get shot in every single war, even if you're Gangster. People will feel the need to send you a message over coffee letting you know it was them who did it. You can't rank beyond a certain point unless you're considered loyal by the top dogs and most people will want to argue with you just to make a name for themselves.

I don't hold these things against anyone, just as I don't cry that others get an easy ride. I've made my name and at this point, very little I do will outweigh what has gone before.

So, to answer your question, it does reduce the strategy. Regardless of how you feel about certain individuals, you know from experience, often from both serving with and against, that they will be capable to do something. With a new bloodline, it is all up in the air, as they just haven't been through this life enough times to know how it works at the top. It is a learning curve and usually the better grounding you have, the longer and better you'll do.

I dunno, it works both ways.
Report Post Tip
Something that ties directly in to what you're saying, that has always made me chuckle is this...

You're correct. When auth'ing someone, oftentimes, the old: "They have experience, and therefore can do the job" explanation is given. We all know this to translate to: "They're bloodline has done this before, therefore they know what to do".

Now, when you look at the history of some of those bloodlines that have had multiple crews, you'll notice that all (but 2 in history, that I can think of...maybe another) have been killed in war, etc. Oftentimes, the reason for said takedown basically came down to: "They weren't good enough at this whole leading thing, therefore they were removed".

So, why is it, that these people that weren't good enough back then, are held in such high regard for their leadership skills of the past now?

Yes, everything is in a name. One man's "ass" in the streets is another man's "asshat". One street speaker with numerous speeches is known as "an oratory wonder", while another is known as a general "spammer". Basically, this all comes down to how your friends spin it, and we all know that there are cliques/groups/old besties/and coffeeshop pals that do this very thing....not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with it.

As one person in the streets said the other day to someone that was whining at their lack of opportunities around here: "Quit your whining. Try not using the same names of your ancestors and see how far you get". To me, this is a true statement. Not many get far at all without some sort of previous reputation, and frankly, I can't blame anyone for that. We live in a world where you must be trusted for opportunity, and honestly, there are too many idiots running around here that screw that up straight out of the gates. So why take a chance?
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Where everybody knows your name...
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL