Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 02:50:53
Page:  1 
[WP] Standard marriage contracts are for 7 years. Started by: Squishy on Oct 05, '20 16:39

We are going to try something a little different to help shake loose the collective creative rust.

WRITERS: Every day a new prompt will post, encouraging writers give a crack at a short story that follows the theme of the prompt.  Assume the theme is semi based on the appropriate era of the game unless otherwise specified.

READERS: See something you like? Toss a tip their way! Please wait 24h from the start of the thread before there are any replies to peoples submissions.  Let keep all the writers submissions up top!

KARENS: Swallow your pride and just sit back and breathe.  Let people enjoy themselves here without your input.

October 5th

Rather than being a lifelong commitment where divorces are a breach of contract, standard marriage contracts are for 7 years.

Shout out to hijajoo for this submission.

Report Post Tip

It was tomorrow.  Our anniversary.  Seven years.  I had been waiting for the last three for this day and it was almost here.  I twirled around on the stool I kept in front of my vanity and gave a little squeak.  It was tomorrow!  Year seven of a seven year contract.  Some people called it dissolution day, other people called it renewal review, I called it freedom. 

Originally I had dreamt of a life with Mark, he was after all my high school sweetheart.  My hometown was super traditional when it came to relationships, and most people reached the end of their contract and renewed right away. My parents had renewed every seven years like clockwork right until mom died of cancer. As much as I missed her I was glad she wouldn't be around to see me "Break her heart" by refusing to renew. I knew dad didn't care, he'd lost most of his spark when mom passed.  

For the first four years I was head over heels in love with Mark but I noticed he begun to act strange around me.  He wept in his sleep and ignored me over the littlest things.  Eventually we grew so far apart that we slept in different rooms.  I started seeing other people but Mark didn't appear to care.  He seemed determined to play along with the farce of our marriage and still wore his rings, still had a photo of us on the mantle.  I applauded his dedication, but was baffled by it.

I finally tucked my makeup back into my vanity and headed to bed. 

The next morning I awoke to a huge bouquet of roses and lilies. There was a note that read "For Naomi"  I smiled sadly, why such a grand gesture when I was sure he knew what was coming. I wandered out to the living room and was surprised that there were other people sitting on the sofa.  Then I realised he must have had a notary come by without asking me.  I wanted to be annoyed but maybe he really believed there was a chance. I sighed.  The notary looked spooked.  

Mark stepped out from the kitchen with a tray of coffee mugs and set them down on the table.  He handed one to the notary, one to a priest and took one for himself.  I huffed a little, irritated that he'd forgotten one for me.  The priest looked startled.  He turned his head to Mark and spoke first. 

"It's been seven years Mark."

"I know." Mark said with an unbelievably heavy tone of voice. 

"And it's been three since-"

"Yes, I know" Mark said interrupting the older man.  "I know." 

The notary put down her coffee and opened a binder.  

"Well, according to my time table it's been seven years and 3 minutes.  I have the papers for dissolution right here." 

Dissolution?  Mark wanted to end the marriage?  I frowned and tried to speak up but everyone seemed to ignore me.  Dammit.  

"Now, you know a marriage contract is for seven years no matter the issues that come up, correct?"  The notary handed my husband a pen and the binder. 

"Yes." He said tersely.  "I know."  He signed his name in flowing ink and I expected him to hand me the paperwork but he just flipped it back around to the notary.  

"And as Naomi cannot sign I will be signing in her stead and marking the marriage officially dissolved.  After that you can remarry as soon as you want, keeping of course to the seven year time period."  Mark nodded and looked at the priest.  I tried to snatch the binder from the notary but couldn't get a good grip on it before she tucked it away.  She shivered.  Mark spoke up. 

"You know what to do father?"  I lunged at Mark but he side stepped me and I found myself face to face with the priest. 

"Yes, son. I have handled plenty of hauntings. Naomi is no different." 

I collapsed to the floor and began to sob, as my cries began to rise in pitch the windows shook.  That last thing I saw before the priest began to chant was Mark taking the notary by the hand and dragging her out the door. 

It ended up being dissolution day after all. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $260,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: [WP] Standard marriage contracts are for 7 years.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL