Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 07:46:07
Page:  1 
A little patience goes a long way. Started by: Six on May 01, '11 18:48

I was most fortunate, when I came to MR almost 2 months ago. I was brought in by my bf, Oldboy/Kes who was a long time player. I had a constant tutor with me. Any questions I had, were instantly answered. He introduced me to his friends in game, so I didn't have the hardship of starting off, not knowing anyone. I was lucky. Had it not been for coming in with Kes, I'm not so sure I would have stayed. It's not that I don't love the game. Any one who looks at the 60 second list on a regular basis, can see how much I have indeed, become addicted. The thing I have noticed is that while there are a large faction of people who are willing and available to help a new person out..there is also a small faction of those who seem a bit.. hostile at new people who make mistakes. I've seen it in posts in the streets and in chats. There is so much to learn, between the game..and the politics..and strategy..the histories.. who is who in game..and IRC. It's impossible to pick everything up at once. Mistakes will happen. The MR bible that is often referred to in the help section, is absent from the links posted. So there is a fair amount of trial and error that is required, if someone isn't as fortunate as I was, to have a tutor.

Recently, I saw a new guy come into the game, and post in the streets, which there was one detail that a couple people were quick to point out, not so diplomatically. I've been here almost 2 months now, and the streets still intimidates me.. for that very reason. The guy lasted a day, before he suicided. Maybe he came back, maybe he didn't. If that's a person's first experience here, I would think he would be less inclined to come back. Maybe instead of pointing out the faults in his post, giving him credit for having the courage to step forward and putting some thought into his first act on here, would have been more productive.

I'm not here to point fingers or to call anyone out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is pretty intimidating for a new person here, at the start. I realize that some of the comments made are in jest, but it isn't always easy to tell the difference between humor and hostility, especially if you don't know the person replying. New players are essential for the game's survival. Without them, it will never see it's full potential.

Report Post Tip

For our beloved game to survive, people must embrace new players. We cant continue to just stay in our cliques and snub our noses at new faces. It happens from time to time, but fortunately there are good players out there who are willing to help new players learn the ropes

Report Post Tip

While there is some validity to your points, you must also take into consideration the nature of this game.  The dynamics are not for the faint of heart.  If a person is so thin-skinned as to be scared away by a little criticism or intimidation, how is that person going to react when they spend months developing a character, only to have their entire family wiped out for frivolous reasons?

The most astute of us may spend years absorbing all the facets of the game - the politics, strategy, and mafia realism.  It may be best for one to keep his or her mouth shut for awhile and learn these things before spouting off.  Like you said, a little patience goes a long way.

And there is no way Kes has a girlfriend. I demand a dupecheck.

Report Post Tip

Wait. Wait wait. Wait wait wait.

You're dating Kes?

You have my sympathies.

Report Post Tip

indeed, I am Kes' gf. Feelin' pretty good about how it's goin', after a year together. I'm down to only four days a week in therapy! :P

Report Post Tip

I too must jump on the bandwagon that I require proof of said relationship. Theres no way Kes has the time between MR and Poker.

On the other points at hand, I agree entirely with what you said about new players, but must also agree with the other points in return. People shouldn't be shot down so readily for their valant efforts, especially when they are first timers, but they must also be ready to accept criticism or regardless of tutoring they arne't going to last long here. There are some very sharp tongues around that can cut you in half if you let them, but these sharp tongues can also be some of the better tutors too once you get to know them.

I pride myself in helping those that are new and I know many others do too, i'd say there are more that are willing to help new people than not, so overall i'd say i'm not entirely concerned on that side of things.

Thank you though, for taking the time to raise the issue, as obviously being a new player your point of view on this is much closer to hand than one like myself that has been around long enough to know that Kes can't possibly have a girlfriend.

Report Post Tip

Oh.. last thing.. are you a scouser?

Report Post Tip

whistles innocently...

Report Post Tip

This is Kes' cousin guys. He IS a scouser remember!

They'z kissing cousins!

Report Post Tip

Thanks for bringing us timely and relevant topic. I think it is important for everyone in MR to have a RL check once in a while. By that I mean we need to try harder not to mix up who we are with who we are attempting to portray in game. That said let me disect the difference I see with the mobmail/streets/hq/business vs. chat or ooc/outside/help/suggestion forums. It doesnt bother me too much to see a new person hammered in the streets, hq or business area, and we wouldnt be privvy to all mobmail, being set straight there is ok by me too.. These are the area's for this. Saying the wrong thing in the streets should invite plenty of attention from all sides. I would suggest that the new guys intention was to get attention, he/she just didn't grasp what kind it would be beforehand. I would also suggest that coddling this type of player would just give them an artificial sense of entitlment later. The real failure when this type of thing happens with sponsered characters is with the sponser or family anyway. Someone should have clued the guy/gal in a bit before sending out that invite. Now the unsponsered and -48 are different stories, as civilians perhaps they are entitled to a gentler rebuke, at least once.

In area's such as this one (ooc), I seldom see any valid reason for anyone to come out and criticize someone else's post. Its not that they dont exist but they should be few and far between. I also think these are the area's where the mixing up of persona's can occur most often. You can usually spot this mix up easily enough. Someone uses a key word like, disrespect, or something similiar. We know about disrespect because we play it everyday, but to suggest someone in an ooc'ish area is being "disrespectful" is a clear indication you need some therapy or some time off. I have never been in any real life gathering and seen anyone call anyone else out as disrespectful, except at a couple biker gatherings as a kid with my old man. But those guys play respect in RL. There is no way any one of us would walk up to another of us and say right to their face, you suck, your posts are stupid, or even tell them about a borish story after one bothered to tell it. We would all be nice and friendly and such. Only in a forum are people secure enough to do that kind of shit. We also see the son of the dead return to the streets when they should be in OOC if they want to clarify actions and intentions of the deceased. Going to the streets, and entertaining the posts, litters the streets in my view.

I must go, thanks for listening.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: A little patience goes a long way.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL