Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 13:14:08
Page:  1 
You and time here Started by: Alice-WonderLand on Dec 07, '20 22:43

As it has been a while since I have been here, I see a few things have changed.

Some for the good others...well not so good.

I refer to the time of our CL, RHM and LHM mainly.

As it use to be many people of that stature were excepted to put in at least above average time to even get a chance to be in a position of power here.

I sadly report many of our upper hands and leaders are sadly below even average time here.

To me this is a sad thing....What do you think?

Report Post Tips: 7 / Total: $140,000 Tip

So i have 2 thoughts on this, which collectively can be boiled down to the fact that I no only do I not really give a damn how much online time a CL has vs. the average, I actually think it's a good thing to see the average time a CL is online go down. When I first started playing, to be a CL you had to treat MR like it was a full time job, and God help the GFs.

In more specific terms, It works like this to my mind.

1st, there are far more easy ways to communicate outside of the game then there were even 5 years ago, meaning that a lot of the idle chatter that was in IRC is now in whatsapps and text chains and discord, making the family more on the go then it was. and the way the game calculates time online, someone like me popping on and off to do petties in brief pauses at work is not showing online for significant time.

2nd, it's a game. The fact the not even a majority of our upper structures are on 30-40 hours a week may just mean that more of us are balancing the game with  actual real life. As a player, a hand, a CL, and a GF, I always told other players, and my crew/city members that real life comes first. So Maybe it's a good thing that players who play as a game, instead of putting in 60+ hours a week, are getting a chance to lead.

(disclaimer: I have no issue with players who are online for 40, 50, 60+ hours a week. my point is that it is a good thing that you don't need to treat MR as a full time job or more to be successful.)

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $110,000 Tip

I'll be honest I used to be one of those guys that would spend 40-80 hours here a week, back when I was younger but that just isn't realistic these days. I think alot of the game has grown up, we've got careers and kids these days.

Now I've got to be honest I think the biggest difference between now and when I spent hours upon hours here is simply the amount of people I interact with on a daily basis. I don't think many other things have suffered, because you can spend 10 hours a week here and build a cannon. I think I'm a firm believer that it's not how much time you spend here but it's how you spend your time.

I will say though I remember those old days when GF's wanted their CL's or captains to spend at least 30-40 hours around here at a minimum. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $30,000 Tip
I'd like to add something that I think needs noting during this discussion. As far as I'm aware, the way the activity timer for uppers is calculated was changed. I believe the average is worked out across all of the uppers exclusively instead of against the entire game. Because of this, there has to be uppers below average, there's no way around it.

It is of course possible that this was never implemented as not every change is documented but it is something I remember Squishy talking about doing in #main.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
As someone who was a RHM as well as someone who has been a CL...this game does not ever account for real life happenings. You can see a number and make a snap judgement or you can try to get to know the people behind the names and see whether you want to be involved with them. You don’t know who has a full time job (or two), who has kids, family members, health issues, or underlying conditions which might temporarily impact their time spent online.

I’m a full time mom. Before covid I was working and taking care of 2 teenagers on my own. That impacts a lot of my life. When I’m out, going shopping or taking them to appointments or simply spending time with them or cooking or cleaning I can’t be tied to my computer or phone. It’s unfair to judge a CL simply by whether they’re spending 40+ hours online or not. Judge by the quality of their involvement and communication. Are they making an effort to reach out? Get to know you? Involving you in the offline coffee shops? (WA or discord)? Are they online for important events? If so then they’re a good CL whether they spend 10-20 hours or 40-60 hours per week.
Report Post Tip
So, the measuring stick for a good crew leader is the amount of time the game says they are on here?

I’d be a great leader if I just turned on the page and walked away and collected my 70 hours?

I think we’ve talked about this before, but I think it’s ludicrous that 30 hours per week is considered low, and if you can’t be a good crew leader spending that kind of time here I’d suggest that you maybe haven’t prioritized things properly here. 30 hours a week is not sad.

I have a full time job, I have a marriage, I have 3 kids, I coach 2 hockey teams. The fact that I still manage 20-30 hours per week on here in spite of that is somewhat mystifying.

The amount of time that the crew page says a leader is on is irrelevant. Does a crew leader return messages promptly? Does he/she engage the community? Do they keep their word? And most importantly - are they widely respected?

I know it’s harder to quantify this stuff than clicking twice, but it’s all way more important than the amount of time a webpage says they spend here.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: You and time here
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL