Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 06:55:20
Page:  1 
The Buddy System Started by: Clone1 on Jun 04, '11 20:43

With so many deaths in the recent war, it has become painfully clear how this game has changed. Take a look around at all the italicized names - Thug and Ganster Right Hands and Left Hands. The Buddy System at work. 

Player X gets automatic RH because of experience, but Player's A B and C have been with the crew , survived, and still do not get the opportunity to showcase their skills. When will our community learn to give new leaders a shot? At the very least, throw some1 with potential into the LH spot and train them, as I've read before here in the forum. 

Report Post Tip

This is one area where the game has not changed.

This has always happened.

Report Post Tip

The RHM is given as soon as a Crewleader has set up. Thus, how have players A B and C been in the crew?

Report Post Tip

You know what I'm talking about Panda...a Hand dies, the crew stays intact. The Hand makes a new account and is instantly a Hand again at Thug.

Report Post Tip

New players do get a shot, every day.  We train new players in New Orleans, and I know other cities do as well.  Aside from my current character,

I have always attempted to work with new people who did not know me each account.  I have never failed to reach a position of influence when I tried.  Never, even with complete strangers.  Hell, even this account, I didnt sit back on my ass and wait for my friend Ghost to just give me anything. I worked really hard.  He had a different RH and LH when I joined him, and I worked for him for months before getting LH back in NY. 

Trust takes time to build.  And people will always feel more comfortable with someone they have known and worked with for a long time; however, I maintain that people who legit work hard enough will gain the positions they want.

Report Post Tip

Thank you Eve, finally a legit reply in the midst of all the trash in the Streets and OOC right now. I'll agree that new players are able to make it to such positions, but you cannot disagree that they are not at a huge disadvantage. 

Report Post Tip

Of course you are disadvantaged when starting a new life of crime... I mean, without a known bloodline. You're a newcomer, a stranger, and this world works thanks to trust. Trust and experience, two things that take some times. That's why I don't see the problem in a Crew Leader taking somebody he knows to work with as a RH or LH. If it's the way it works the best for that said CL... It seems logical. Where I agree with you is that newcomers must also be given their chance to prove they're worth it one day or another.

And compared to known bloodlines, again, I agree, they're clearly disadvantaged... for some times. As Egwene underlined it, YOU must prove that you can work twice harder than the others. Have better results. Learn twice faster. In other words, be the only possible choice when somebody else is needed. Generally (yes, I admit there's some exceptions, but it's pretty rare from what I've seen), when you work that hard, you're given what you want. Up to CL if you can wait long enough and still be the best. And once you've done that hard part once, you enter in the "known bloodline" part I mentioned above, as a hard worker and trusted member, that's normal. Not forever, reputations can be made and tarnished very easily. But apart from that, I don't really see the problem in this system..

Report Post Tip

Well of course they arent going to be on the same level as say, Shocker's next character.  I mean... we don't really die.  No one is actually dead... they just start again.  If i can trust someone I can trust someone.  I am always looking for new people to trust. I think I heard on the radio that in some sports, rookie salaries are capped at a certain level.  They play on the same field as the big dogs, but they are rookies...This isn't a new concept.

Report Post Tip

One thing I would like to add and I know this has been discussed a lot before. 

From a mafia world point of view, the RHM and LHM should be high ranking members of that crew, they are expected to represent the crew leader in his/her absence. 

A non-made member is a not a full time member of that crew, so why should they be able to stand in their leader's shoes? 

I remember a while ago, my dear friend PoisonousJelly's RHM Marley suffered a terrible fate because of a gun malfunction, as a high ranking crew member, PosionousJelly asked me to fill in as RHM until Marley's son became a made member. This is how it should be. 

We should stop placing too much importance on people's pasts. I understand why we do it and have always circled myself with those who are closest to me. But surely there is someone else that can be trusted to fill in rather than a low ranking crew member? 

Report Post Tip

Correct:

Surely there is someone else that can be trusted instead. And if you do want to give the position to a trusted friend of yours, thats fine, but at least make him get made before he does so. 

Lets start upholding the honor and value of what kind of a world we live in. 

Made means something, lets not undermine it. 

Report Post Tip

If your crew has been around for months and you can't trust your LHM to step up to the plate...something is wrong. The end.

It's being done because CLs want too...not because they have too (unless it's a NEW family...then I could understand). It's all on them though...they earned the right to choose who they please...even if it completely defies everything the game is supposed to be built on (1930s mafia).

We make it what it is....so it what it is in regards to hands. (what?)

Report Post Tip

I can easily point \out at least 6 folks not even MADE as Hands...running crews. Fucking pathetic. And this shit system should be corrected by the members of the community. If not by the members, then by Izzy himself. 

Why the fuck should a Gangster RHM have more say than a Consig member. In the real mafia, I'd blast that Thug/Gangster to hell.  

Report Post Tip

The positions of Right and Left Hand are given to those the leader trusts.. Not based on rank. Yes, this is OOC, but given events that have happened in the past where the positions were given based on rank and some of the disastrous results that occurred this is what has come to be the norm.

Would you go without a Right or Left Hand until the people you trusted with your crew were of rank? The Hands are as accountable for the crew and the members' actions as the leader after all.

Report Post Tip

Oh, and per your comment in regards to the code be changed for force leaders to place people in the most trusted positions a leader has to give? Why should the code dictate that? The coders try to keep it so the leaders can make key decisions that have a direct effect on gamelplay for the most part. If a leader chooses a lower ranked person who is an easier target as a Hand it's their choice...

Report Post Tip

Non-made members should not hold RHM and LHM positions, this is just not the way it works. This is the mafia. You are not a fully inducted member of the family until you become made. 

It is something that has always been the case and looks like it always will be the case. Crew leaders can choose whoever they want as their RHMs and LHMs and if that is how they want to run their crews, then that is their choice. 

A low rank, non-made member, sitting in a room to discuss business with the other crew leaders, family heads and even a Godfather? Would never happen. It is allowed because we do not do anything about. 

This is something for us to address, not for the coders. 

Report Post Tip

I also worked my way upto Left Hand to a Godfather without being in the crew, position or even city previously.  I have seen Made and above's commit treacherous acts against their own families and believe both jobs will always be positions of trusts, no matter the rank its the ability that counts.  I do believe people can be trained up from within an organisation on org would work up soldato-capo-capo bastone/consigliere lh-rh-leader in a few of the families.  Did it affect the quality of leader.. sometimes, did it always play for a happy ending no.  Ganelon i believe suffering, just as shaggs did on here losing his best hitter when appointing a new rhm, or recent events where a ranked member turned on his own city to run to another. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: The Buddy System
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL