Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 04:15:19
Page:  1 
What's Better, What's Worse? Started by: Alesia on Jun 06, '11 06:08

Alesia exhales a freshly lit cigarette walks down the densly populated streets, eavesdropping on the latest topics of conversation. She listens, listens, and listens some more. Finally, after many arguments and insults to one another in the crowd pass by, the thought occurs to her; all of these people are so different. What is it they consider insulting? She decides it's best to ask.

Ladies and gentlemen I have a simple question this evening. It is a short one, but still one worth asking. There are many people I see here that get insulted on a regular basis, especially by new thugs just coming off the boat. What do you consider worse?

Sure, there can be bitter words spit out of an arrogant mouth. But if you do not hold their opinion high in your heart, do those words still sting? Maybe being ignored is even more insulting?

Consider it. If you had an honest opinion on something that someone didn't particularly agree with, would you rather they simply ignore you? Or would you rather they acknowledge you, but with a bite in their notice? Let's pretend it isn't a possibility for them to disagree in a civilized way (we rarely see it like that around here as it is).

It could go either way no matter what side of any argument. So what's your preference?

She ashes her smoke, and waits for a response from any onlookers as she leans her hand on her hip casually. Her stare is confident, and patient.

Report Post Tip

Maeve stops in the streets after hearing the woman's question. She thinks on it for a moment before offering her opinion.

Hmm... If it were me in the streets trying to get people to listen to me, I think I would rather have them insult me. At least it means that they heard me. More often than not, I ignore others when I don't agree with them, probably because I don't care to add fuel to the fire when I know that no matter what I say it won't change their mind. When people are dead set on something, you can say whatever you like, but their stubbornness fights against any opposing opinion. It does no good to argue, but if one were to disagree with me, I would prefer to hear their side even if it meant they would be insulting me. It's a little discouraging when someone says something but no one takes notice. With an insult, it means that your opinion means enough for them to take their time and reply. I don't know. That's just my view on it.

She steps back, waiting for others to voice their own opinion on the subject.

Report Post Tip

Tropiano steps up. He takes a puff from his cigar and replies

"I agree with Maeve....to a point. Yes it would be a good thing to know they heard you and replied. Even if it is an insult. But I ask you young lady, is the opinion of someone fresh off the boat really an opinion to be taken seriously? Have they made names enough for themselves to even have an opinion? If you or anyone else believes they have, then by all means, tell them what you think. Or don't. Either way, They are gonna say what they wanna say regardless.

Now as to what I would prefer, if someone does not like what I have to say, then simply do not listen. I could not care less if someone ignores me. I feel that if one, two, three etc. people ignore me, there are at least that many somewhere that will not."

Tropiano gives a respectful tip of his hat and steps aside.

Report Post Tip

Maeve addresses the man who spoke after her.

Oh, no. I'm not saying someone fresh off the boat deserves to be taken seriously. Not at all. I'm merely saying how I would like someone to react towards me, with the given choices. I think an argument is much better than silence. But, as I said, I often don't bother with replying to those that I don't agree with because I don't like starting a fight. In this kind of life, the wrong words said to the wrong people can cost you your life. It's better to remain silent and let people think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove them right.

She nods to the man and takes her place back at the side of the street.

Report Post Tip

"Point well taken Maeve. And I agree 100% with that."

Report Post Tip

Generally, when I read a rant from a person who has just arrived, I assume they're speaking in anger, and I ignore them. You have to assume their either angry because of a lost family member or their just young and ignorant to this world. There are times that certain rants are interesting. I have definitely seen a few, but for the most part after a while they just turn into forms of entertainment for everyone to join into.

Report Post Tip

... As I was saying, it's probably best to ignore them. I'm sure they'll take it badly, but it will only cause more anger if you respond to them. 

Report Post Tip

Alesia nods when listening to Tropiano and Maeve's words.

Yes, I can definitely see that point as well. When you're the one being ignored it's never an encouragment. I find it hurtful at worst. Annoying at best. But, with an argument you know that neither party is really going to walk away from the conversation with anything more than what they walked in with. Sometimes an insult isn't hurtful as much as it is a sign of the other party's desperate need to get their own ideas across but have run out of information to back themselves up in a civilized manner. 

I think that when people feel the need to instigate negative name calling and such, it's just a testament to their short-fuse character and has everything to do with their own satisfaction than actually trying to get you to listen.

Report Post Tip

A young woman is standing on the street listening to a group of people talk. When there is a pause she steps forward to join them. “Pardon me. I’m very sorry for interrupting. I’m fresh off the boat.  I was just listening to your conversation.  I hope it’s okay I ask a few questions about what I’ve heard. At what rank is it acceptable to come out here on the streets and give an opinion?  What rank makes a person’s opinion taken seriously?  I’d like to add more, but I’ll refrain for now because I’m only a gangster and I don’t know very much about this thing of ours.”  

A young woman is standing on the street listening to a group of people talk. When there is a pause she steps forward to join them.

“Pardon me. I’m very sorry for interrupting. I was just listening to your conversation. I hope it’s okay I ask a few questions about what I heard. At what rank is it acceptable to come out here on the streets and give an opinion? What rank makes a person’s opinion taken seriously? I’d like to add more, but I’ll refrain for now because I’m fresh off the boat and I don’t know very much about this thing of ours.”  

Report Post Tip

I don't think it's so much 'rank' as it is 'attitude'. Rank itself doesn't exactly gain respect. If you want people to respect you and value your opinion, you need to be respectful to them. And just because you are new does not mean that we don't want you to post. How else would you get known in the streets without speaking up?

Report Post Tip

"Ah ok, thank you for clearing that up. Sorry about repeating myself before. I'm so clueless... "

The young woman takes a step back away from the group and opens her purse to look for the mafia bible.

Report Post Tip

Honestly I don't believe that rank has any impact on the opinions that may be heard among our streets. Sure don't get me wrong a day old gangster is not going to sway the masses into changing the likes of member whoring(I say that as an example, not to start any debate) but obviously if a Godfatherwas out here then his words would carry a lot more weight.

But I don't for one second think that anyone should be discouraged to come out onto the streets, what I would say is that how something is said is almost as if not more important than as to who actually says it. The main reason you don't find high tankers out here critising the way things are done is either A because they like the way things are done, or B they like the position they are in and wouldn't wish to do anything to jeprodise that.

New gangsters speechs about the state of things often get disregarded or even ridiculed because everyone knows, where thread new gangsters ranked people then they wouldn't say boo out in public, sure they'll grumble behind closed doors but no one is actually willing to put a lot of time and effort on the line just to get something off their chest.

Report Post Tip

Alesia waves at Tom and smiles.

Dear, is it possible for you to acknowledge the original point of discussion here, or is this supposed to be ironic?

She laughs.

Report Post Tip

Well actually I was addressing Silks questions.

As for the original questions, sticks and stones my dear, I've had topics bomb and some that haven't. Either way I got my point across and if only one person took note of it or posed another view to my point then I'm happy. Yeah we'd all love to be true wordsmiths who can rouse a full on debate. But even getting one bite is better than getting none at all.

Report Post Tip

Hmm. So, your answer is that you don't care if you're insulted as long as you say what you want to say; regardless if people listen. Just because someone replies in disagreement doesn't mean they gained anything from your words, though.

Report Post Tip

Your right, but then I never claimed to be all knowing, maybe my view point is wrong and I learn something myself. As for being insulted, I get crap from my old lady every night. I've had thick skin for quite some time now it would take a lot for me to feel insulted.

Report Post Tip

(Walks up removing his hat)

“It all depends on how the rant is delivered for me, if it is laid out in a logical manner and facts are there then that’s fine it when you go into veiled treats when it is painfully obvious that you don’t have the ability to back them up is where it becomes more of a blatant act of stupidity than a rant. The reality is that in this thing of our you will get the odd son or daughter who feels like his father or mother has been hard done by are some legitimate yes others no. Me personally I would never come out here in the streets and personally attack somebody for the sheer fact of what could it possibly achieve besides become a blip on the radar of people who frown upon it that and there is an unwritten rule in this thing of our never air your dirty laundry in public”.

(places his hat back on his head and walks away)   

Report Post Tip

LoveGun had been out and about in the city looking for a hot dog with Mr Barkston when he decided to ditch her. Well, in all fairness she had been quickly drifting away from the thought of hot dogs and quickly towards the want of rum. She'd been dry for at least six hours and it was killing her. LoveGun knew of some bars down the street, she started towards them.

Half way there she barged right into a small gathering of people. There was a woman front and center, she looked very familiar. LoveGun couldn't place it, but she knew rum had something to do with it. It always had something to do with anything she couldn't remember, well, almost everything.

Preference? I wouldn't want to be disrespected any way.

LoveGun stated sober as all hell.

Actually, that's not true at all. If you're going to be bad, be honest. If you're going to attempt to insult me I'd prefer you to put some effort into it. Anyone can call me a dirty wench or a heartless thunder...

A bird in the tree to the left of the crowd let out a loud shriek, all LoveGuns words were lost for a second in the terrible noise.

The point is, if you're going to be rude to me, insult me, or attack me in any other verbal manner at least show off your wit and be creative about it.

As for any pain I may feel from insults, it really depends on who it's coming from. I recall something from my childhood. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Words can only hurt you if you let them hurt you. You say if I do not hold their opinion high in my heart, do those words still sting? Of course not. If this person means less then nothing to me why would what they say matter?

Now, if a young petty thief wants to get frisky with his mouth while I'm trying to offer him a place to rest his bones, well I may take him down a back alley and give him a show with my knife.

A twisted grin formed on LoveGun's lips.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What's Better, What's Worse?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL