Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 02:01:28
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Current Regime, a reflection, a discussion. Started by: ThomasCrown on Feb 24, '21 18:58
The growth we have currently has not been seen in years. This whole misconception of other leaders setting examples for members that are not there's is silly. Your ancestor would have been shot by most regimes just for speaking up, be grateful this is not the case. Be grateful people are thriving with longevity in this lifetime. Be grateful you do not have to worry about dealing with tyrants.

Evidently this is too much. We must have our hand held throughout our life.
Report Post Tips: 7 / Total: $1,380,000 Tip

I don't believe any ancestor would have been shot for speaking up on the current state of this thing of ours. What growth do you speak of, the half empty crews, zombie gangsters sat in HQ's or the growth of a small number of pockets or has their truly been a growth in people joining this thing of ours and remaining active versus those lines exiting this world?

Where did this hand holding statement come from, whom stated hands need to be held? A crew leaders role isn't to hold hands, it's to lead by example, galvanizing their crew, jockey for position and a real good crew leader will influence other members in other crews, there is nothing wrong with taking on board good elements. Are you saying that no Godfather or crew leader should look to impress or act as a role model for those outside of their own crew, they shouldn't strive to be the best and show it? This isn't the corporate world, people don't join this thing of ours to be accepted into some corporate structure of complacency and task based work.

As for what is wrong here, lets look at what has been discussed along with other problems in this thing of ours, Gangsters as Hands when there is a supply of people who have made their bones, low presence and activity of various leadership, zombies in HQ's, the Delaware GF allowed to walk the streets for weeks with impunity, members in the higher ranks of families committing suicide or just fading away to the levels of zombies.

Essentially all symptoms of stagnation and the acceptance of mediocrity.

Report Post Tips: 8 / Total: $2,380,000 Tip

"I think they may just be symptoms of this life in general. It's the same shit no matter how many times you take the ride. No matter who's at the top or not. It's always the same and it just gets mind numbing. I can only speak from my own experiences, but as one of those who has turned into a HQ zombie, it was partly from spending too much time trying to make a difference in this world and not enough in another and the general lack of anything different happening that has me uninspired to do much of anything. But can I really blame anyone? Inspiration and motivation is a personal thing.

Seeing Jack and Ghost put together and run an event for the greater community can be inspiring, yet if it's not your thing then it may not strike any chords at all. Harrison's bowling event was, for me, original and enjoyable. EthanElijah's nation-wide lottery was a missed opportunity that could've been something else to add to the enjoyment around here too. But due to lack of interest it's now gone.

And I understand that also happened with Jack's race horse offering which was before my time. It looked mint but how many cared? And pretty much why I stopped trying to put creative ideas out there too. I believe there are opportunities to get involved but mostly people themselves are uninspired. And I think that's a problem with the general idea that people need to be motivated externally by their peers. It's like going through life looking for someone else to live it for you, it just makes no sense. And when you're on that high, you feel like you're dragging lifeless bodies along with you. For me, anyways.

I'm only speaking of one of the things being pointed at, higher ranked members fading away to the level of zombie, but maybe it ties into why leaders just lose interest and stop putting in much of anything after a spell? Maybe this life is just a one way ticket to an early grave, if you're lucky, otherwise you keep doing the same shit over and over again in an overpopulated, mostly uninspired landscape and you just can't be fucked after awhile so you tend to the garden elsewhere. Can it be pinpointed to an actual symptom of something greater that can be addressed and changed, though? Would setting clear guidelines and rules for leadership across the cities change how involved and not just active people are? Possibly. Quite possibly."

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $1,100,000 Tip

Thomas listened intently as some of the other speakers took center stage. Some really good points were made and some fantastic experiences were shared. Of course with any discussion, there would be some contentious points that need to be addressed. This is of course the basis of a discussion. If there weren't deferring points of view. What would we be even arguing? So Thomas grabbed some cups of whiskey and handed it out, gave out some ice cream cones to make everyone feel welcomed. 

There. Now I think this discussion is zeroing on a very specific topic now. I think the criticism is now basically being tailored to certain Crew Leaders and their absentee hands, per say. Let me be a bit more specific.

As for what is wrong here, lets look at what has been discussed along with other problems in this thing of ours, Gangsters as Hands when there is a supply of people who have made their bones, low presence and activity of various leadership, zombies in HQ's, the Delaware GF allowed to walk the streets for weeks with impunity, members in the higher ranks of families committing suicide or just fading away to the levels of zombies.

Essentially all symptoms of stagnation and the acceptance of mediocrity.

A few things were touched on here. And I think the anonymous letter that I addressed here, also touched on this. As to why the hands that are merely here, or are not of age. Being allowed to hold offices, that perhaps higher ranking mobsters would do more justice to. And see what I say here is the old adage. "The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". I have already addressed how rank is usually given with a certain level of trust. That trust is bestowed into any Button Man and even more so into those, that make it to the rank of Dons and such. However, trust isn't always the underlying issues with having a hand. A lot of the times, a hand is an extensions of the crew leader. Now, there maybe a few button men that a crew leader, would trust without question. However, since the hand is an extension of the CL. Sometimes you want someone as your hand to make decision in the same light as the CL would. Now, here we are thinking about thought process and management of issues. No two people will manage things the same way. However, atleast from my forefathers journals. I realized, they choose to have hands that looked at the world in the same light, and addressed and managed issues similarly. That may very well be the reason, that these hands are in place. And not so much other worldly relations or connections. However, that is a distinct possibility. 

Now as to Delawares GF running around without impunity. Well, its not so much that. I think in the last few weeks or so. We have seen multiple high ranking mobsters, stake their lives to take down the legend of Tyler. And have missed, only for the GF of Delaware to put them in a box. This happened not to long ago, to a crew leader. So with that, I say. Are you surprised that there are members that aren't willing to take on a God Father? I mean, everyone here has worked hard for what they have. Put in the time and sweat to get this far. You expect them to take a wild shot, for what? So that Tyler returns to where he came from? I think you are inherently undercutting one selfs necessity to safeguard themselves. And I think that is probably the biggest reason, we see Mr Durden, walk the streets often these days. 

Last but not least. The idea that stagnation has allowed mediocrity to set in? I don't agree. There have been plenty of folks that have tried to entertain the Cosa Nostra. Scarfo did a exceptional job of laying this out. There are members of this community, that have gone to far lengths to keep things interesting for everyone. However, sometimes the problem isn't so much in the organizers, as much as in those that aren't interested in making this happen. None of what we do here, is a one person endeavor. In order for the organizers to feel the necessity to put in the work, they have to see a response. If the mobsters show none, just like any other business. Odds are the organizers will close up shop. Thats just simple supply and demand. So to say that mediocrity is being cherished, due to stagnation. I do not agree with that. You can say, that there maybe some leaders that aren't pulling their weight. Sure, maybe you can make that argument. But to say, that mediocrity is being celebrated at large? No, I certainly cant agree with that. The biggest example being, what we are engaging in now. Some of these leaders, that are being criticized are probably taking note and perhaps may change their ways. Some may not even see there is a problem, given there is a problem. At the end of the day, this is a two way street. If someone isn't pulling their weight, it will eventually show. We saw that hugely in old LA. Leaders became absent and the mob in general rejected them. What you saw after was a reaction of the Cosa Nostra. 

I see this as very simple, either you evolve with the times. Or be forced to go extinct. That is the way of our world. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
The idea that stagnation has allowed mediocrity to set in? Possibly. I'll reference my rationale below.

"However, sometimes the problem isn't so much in the organizers, as much as in those that aren't interested in making this happen."

Then those people who aren't interested should be held accountable and replaced.

"At the end of the day, this is a two way street. If someone isn't pulling their weight, it will eventually show."
Report Post Tip

The idea that stagnation has allowed mediocrity to set in? Possibly. I'll reference my rationale below.

"However, sometimes the problem isn't so much in the organizers, as much as in those that aren't interested in making this happen."

Then those people who aren't interested should be held accountable and replaced.

"At the end of the day, this is a two way street. If someone isn't pulling their weight, it will eventually show."

I think you misunderstood who that was directed to. That comment wasn't directed at the leadership. I was simply saying, that when leadeers/organizers try to get something interesting going. At times it is meant with lack of interest. It takes a bit to get something going. As Scarfo explained, extremely well. So I won't get into the intricacies of it all. However, on number of occasions. This has been done and been met with lack of interest from the Cosa Nostra. 

Hence why I said. Its not always the leaders that are to be held responsible for this. At times, its just something that the community isn't receptive to, for whatever reason. Hope that answers your concerns/comments. 

Report Post Tip
Yes, thank you.
Report Post Tip

Max shakes his head and wanders off to find the koolaid stand to burn down, thinking to himself that perhaps then those who like the sound of their own voice might actually wake up.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Listening to the protracted debating that had been going on for a few hours now the clown decided now was the time for him to input his two cents and hopefully summarise in splendid fashion what was being discussed. He coughs, a ball of flehm excretes itself from his maw and slowly dribbles down the front of his chin.  A midget resembling dino appears from nowhere and wipes the drool with a rusted spoon.

"Apathy. We seem to have here, on some parts one of the finest examples of apathy that has been around this grey world for a number of years.  So used are we to the humdrum and fast paced nature of lives flickering and spluttering like farts in the wind, this current state of affairs is addling, almost confusing us."

"My ancestors, ancestors-ancestors were used to being like a Mayfly, several weeks of creating a name for their character then with regularity bursting forth with others and living in glorious splendour for a day. A life that lasted more than 50, 60 days was considered a success.  The world was fluid, ever moving, ebbing and flowing quite the opposite of the neap tide of life we see here today.  The adrenaline flowed, shots rang out, mighty success was had and endorphins were a plenty. A 'beautiful' time where the nuances played out in these streets paralleled exactly the ringing out of .45 calibre pistols all over the land"

"My kin certainly rejoiced in these times. The city hall did not demand the tithe which most now succumb to. A wayward rogue could appear after bumming in the streets for 20 days and put paid to the highest mobsters illusion of grandeur.  Those times have passed. The crazy paving and randomness of such encounters has been stymied by the Gods. This is good for the coffers of city hall, we are more prone to offering the golden credit sacrifice if we understand we have far more than a modicum chance of surviving."

"But what happens when we survive? The first several tens of days birthed into this world are always fast paced. Lots to do, lots to see, lots to build. But what when like some here we have built our castles? And the castles appear to be not on sand but on solid foundations... For some, there is nothing more, nothing left to build and I suspect over time, as we are seeing before our eyes, there are some who have built grandly allowing their empire to slowly descend into rot, slowly enough that it cannot be seen. Into Apathy."

"I am guilty of apathy, the halcyon days of a clown standing here decreeing this, that or the other seem long gone. My kin feels spent. Talked out, discussions that are 'new' have been discussed a thousand times before... perhaps now more than ever the time is to progress a few decades... add a little rock and roll to the flat tepid jazz..."

"I set out to summarise but as ever I have leaned toward the ramblings of a mad man, so I'll attempt again."

"Apathy, don't let it kill you. There are those out there with drive, there are those out there willing to be the moth that flies into the flame."

The clown hobbles down from its forlorn looking box and shuffles away, as ever, with a glint in its eye and a manic grin secretly splashed across its palsied face.

Report Post Tips: 9 / Total: $600,000 Tip

**Posting etymology for further context

Apatheia (Greek: ἀπάθεια; from a- "without" and pathos "suffering" or "passion"), in Stoicism, refers to a state of mind in which one is not disturbed by the passions. It is best translated by the word equanimity rather than indifference.

The meaning of the word apatheia is quite different from that of the modern English apathy, which has a distinctly negative connotation

It meant eradicating the tendency to react emotionally or egotistically to external events, the things that cannot be controlled. For Stoics, it was the optimum rational response to the world, for things cannot be controlled if they are caused by the will of others or by Nature; only one's own will can be controlled. That did not mean a loss of feeling, or total disengagement from the world.

"Pain is slight if opinion has added nothing to it;... in thinking it slight, you will make it slight. Everything depends on opinion; ambition, luxury, greed, hark back to opinion. It is according to opinion that we suffer.... So let us also win the way to victory in all our struggles, – for the reward is... virtue, steadfastness of soul, and a peace that is won for all time."

— Seneca,  Epistles, lxxviii. 13–16

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

Stopping short the Clown cocks its head to one side and twitches.  It's almost as if there is a voice coming from the clouds quoting verbatim from one of those books which contain many words.

"Eh?" It mumbles to itself, wondering what the fuck is going on.

Spitting on the floor to excise the voiced demon it seemingly is hearing in its head it mumbles:

"Fuck me.... we now seem to have a library as well as a city hall"

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

After reading the note, he promptly returned to his janitorial duties at the library before his second shift at City Hall's comptroller's office.

It was just happenstance that during his shift he discovered a book left open on the floor with a sticky note.

Its contents were well-written although the author had self-proclaimed the work leaned more towards ramblings instead of a summarization as originally intended. Ultimately, the library janitor found it appropriate to add the linguistic origins of a particular word to provide clarity for those without the necessary inner voices... or for those lacking a valid library card.

Regardless, the library's floors needed to be cleaned again. Someone's shoes had left a trail of fresh phlegm that, after careful review, began more and more to resemble midget.

The goal of this thing of ours is money, always has been and always will be.  I don't believe a single member of La Cosa Nostra has ever been guided by anything more than that.  Power?  Power brings money.  No mafioso has ever been in it to lose money.   The current equilibrium is what makes all mafioso the most, and that is what this business is about.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Current Regime, a reflection, a discussion.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL