Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 10:25:56
Page:  1 
A Social Call to Cotton Tanyard Started by: RunaKatte on Mar 01, '21 03:42

Runa exited the box of the Race Street Downs with Billy_Pilgrim behind her.

"Alright. What do we know based on what Jack just said? Target is Cotton Tanyard, who has cost Jack thousands of dollars in returned bets by pulling horses to try to maintain their records. He seemed like he's caused problems before, and we're to remind him how we do business."

She halted Billy for a moment, reaching in her purse and switching her stiletto heels for sandals. Then she gestured to the dress she was wearing, a burnt orange number with a high neckline up front and a daringly sparse back- a look she'd borrowed from Illiana. 

As they approached the parking lot, Runa frowned.

"Jack wasn't particularly explicit with his instructions, but between Jack calling this the 'last time' and how angry he was, I'm thinking that we pose as a husband and wife looking to make a big purchase. We've heard that his horses have the best records- which is technically true. I'll be the spoiled rich girl who never grew up, you be the bigshot executive looking to buy his wife a new toy."

They approached the car, and Runa halted.

"Billy I'm about as good a driver as I am shooter, so-"

Without a word, Billy moved towards the driver's seat.

"Anyways, my thinking is that we get Tanyard and his chief assistant in the room, remove Tanyard permanently, and then make it clear to the next guy that if their horse is listed to run, then they'd better fucking do it. That'll also send the message to all the other owners as well. What do you think? Any ideas? I know you've got a lot of experience here."

The car was blasting across the Nevada countryside; they'd be there in no time. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
For a while, Billy drove in silence. He considered turning on the radio, but decided against it. Besides, there probably weren't any good stations out this far.

"So, I take it this is an 'offer he can't refuse' situation and not 'sleeping with the fishes'. It's almost a shame, really,"

Billy gave Runa a sideways smirk

"Give me an address and a payphone. I could get a moving van packed with TNT and ammonium nitrate parked outside the place in around an hour,"
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Runa frowned.

"I don't think Jack wants to blow the stable off the map. Maybe something a little more... subtle."

She grinned at the man driving, leaning back comfortably in the passenger seat. He didn't mess around, apparently.

"No, I was thinking about that, though. I mean, part of me feels like we should just kill him- send a message to the other owners. But Jack didn't say that explicitly. And in the past... well, he's been more explicit. So maybe you're right. It's just weird seeing Jack angry like that... Don Mezzo, I mean."

Runa stared out at the stable as it came into view.

"Look, I know what a great shot you are. I'm assuming you're packing. Let's be young newlyweds. You have my permission to get a little handsy. Keep them distracted. I'll be the most spoiled bitch I can muster. We'll talk our way in a room with Tanyard where he thinks he's selling a bunch of horses, and then I'll handle him, while you handle anyone else. He's a horse breeder, not a rival don, so he shouldn't have that much other security. But I figure if you wave your gun around, kick a few asses of anyone who tries to be a hero, and you can keep us out of trouble. Don't kill anyone if you don't have to. If it seems like Tanyard is going to be a huge problem, I'll take him down. But otherwise I'm just going to scare the shit out of him and leave him a couple scars."

Report Post Tip
Billy rolled his eyes

"I was kidding about the van," Billy clarified.

"Mostly,"

Billy parked the car in front of what looked like the main building. He pulled a silver flask from his jacket, took a sip, and cleared his throat

"Okay, honey, we're on," he whispered before climbing out.

Billy looked around until he saw a worker carrying hay. When he called out, he spoke with a strong Bostonian accent

"Hey, you! With the... hay,"

The worker stopped, set the hay down, and gave Billy a weary look

"Yes, sir?"

"I'm Mahk. I'm here about the horse"

"What horse is that?"

"Mark's" jaw dropped. He turned to Runa in disbelief

"You're kidding me now! You didn't call ahead?!"

Billy almost broke character, laughing at Runa's confusion. He turns back to the ranch hand.

"She didn't call ahead...,"

Billy closed his eyes for a moment and rubbed his forehead

"Months! Months, my lovely bride here has been harping at me about this animal. Then, she makes me drive FOREVER through what can only be described as a lifeless hellscape to get to this particular ranch, it has to be this ranch!, to buy her another overpriced toy that will buy me, at most, a couple weeks of peace and she can't even make a God... blessed... phone call?!"

Billy took a couple of steps backs to stand beside Runa

"I swear to Baby Jesus, if this woman didn't have an ass on her..."

Billy punctuated his point by giving Runa a sharp slap to the backside

"Umm..." the ranch hand stuttered, obviously wishing he was somewhere else, "I think you need to talk to the boss. Come on, I'll take you to him,"

Billy smirked as he followed the hurrying man. The secret to getting help sometimes wasn't being nice, it was being such a pain in the ass that people would do anything to get rid of you
Report Post Tip

"You say you're kidding about the van," hissed Runa as they pulled in. "But if I was in a bad mood..."

She grinned, but then her eyes closed when the car stopped. When her eyes opened, Runa's mannerisms and body language had changed. Billy had spent a lot of time in the field, and he recognized a natural actress- a chameleon- when he saw one.

Runa opened the car door and her voice adopted a nasal twang that filled the air around the stables.

"Mark, look how precious it is. It's like a farm. From one my mother's oil paintings. You know the one? In the guest suite?"

She walked unsteadily until Billy took her arm and talked to some farmboy. As he did, Runa was sketching out the landscape, trying to memorize where all the different buildings were. She looked like she was barely paid attention until Billy's tone turned accusatory. An appointment? She rolled her eyes. When he slapped her ass, Runa's mouth and eyes opened wide, but she seemed like she was trying to balance between outrage and amusement- the latter part of which wasn't acting.

"Um. Excuse me! I am a lady. And this is not a yacht that sailors need to build before you buy it. It's a horse. It's already like, made. You just walk in and buy it. Why would I need an appointment?"

Runa laughed, looking at the farm worker for agreement. He stared at her like she had three heads, but at that point Billy had already convinced him to take him to the boss.

It was a fairly large operation, as far as Runa was aware. As she walked, she remembered her first job ever, back with Nick at the racecourse in Philly. She'd come a long way. It'd taken someone time to build this up. And it'd be a huge pain in the ass if Jack had to replaced this source of horses... no, it'd be better to just scare the guy. 

When they arrived in Cotton Tanyard's office, the owner of the stables was obviously annoyed at the interruption. Still, he could recognize money when he saw it. The black-suited burly Irishman, however, recognized money when he saw it; moreover, his eyes rested on Runa in a way that she would have commented on if she hadn't been playing a role. Instead, she just preened.

"You must be Cotton Tanyard?"

When the man nodded, Runa's eyes lit up at the big window behind him.

"WOW! What an amazing view..."

Walking in like she owned the place, Runa moved next to Tanyard, who snaked an arm around her hip. Runa might have horrible aim with a pistol, but even Billy would be impressed with her speed and dexterity as she reached into her purse for her switchblade, flicked it open, and held it against Tanyard's neck in one smooth motion. Her voice was her own when she spoke again, cool and calm. Her voice, somewhat strangely to Billy, was reminiscent of Jack's.

"I've already slit one throat this week, Cotton. Don't test me. Husband, I assuming you're watching the door?"

She forced him into his chair and sat on the edge of his desk in a way that might have been seductive if it wasn't for the razor sharp six inch blade against his throat. 

"Hands on the desk in front of me. Good. Now Cotton, you've been a bad boy. And you've been costing my boss a lot of money. Now keeping your horses with their perfect records? It's a nice goal. But turns out, you've really just been hurting yourself."

Runa started slicing the knife against Tanyard's neck, drawing blood and a wince from the sitting man.

"No more, Cotton. No more. You're part of a team. Think of yourself as one finger, working as part of a hand. And when one finger starts acting independently? Well, that's bad for the hand."

Without blinking, Runa slammed the knife down into Tanyard's left hand. He screamed, and she pulled her gun from the purse. Even she wouldn't miss at this range.

"Shut up."

Her voice was cold, and the man was reduced to a whimper.

"Now you and I, Cotton, are going to type up a little agreement. It might take us a little while, but signing it will help-"

A commotion was audible next door, and Runa glanced at Billy.

"Husband, someone might be causing trouble next door. Go make sure they don't? Please don't kill anyone. And if you could use your special skills to make sure that Mr. Tanyard and I have enough time to type out a new legal document? Well, that'd be just swell."

Report Post Tip
Billy hesitated for a moment. He really didn't want to leave Runa alone. On the other hand, from the way Tanyard was looking at her, Billy doubted he'd give her too much trouble.

"Whistle if you need me," Billy said, still using his fake accent.

Turning to Tanyard, he added, "Just don't go gettin' ideas, pal. She's a married woman!"

As Billy was about to leave, he saw a large keyring laying unattended on the nearby desk. It was a little large to palm subtly, but Tanyard was rather engrossed with the matter of avoiding getting murdered.

These keys look important, Bill thought. I'd better keep them safe with me.

Feeling pleased with his good deed, Billy slipped into the next office. There he found a pair of ranch hands arguing with an oily looking man in a cheap suit

"We just want what we were promised," one of the hands insisted. The other nodded in agreement.

"It ain't right," the second man piped up, "Last week's check was light. Week before too. If Cotton don't make this right...,"

"Mr. Tanyard, you mean," the man said in a voice that sounded like what Billy figured a weasel would sound like if granted the power of speech, "And you'd better be careful what you say. The boss knows some very dangerous people,"

"Brother, you ain't kiddin',"

Weasel spun around in surprise.

"Who the fuck are you?" he bleated, but Billy ignored him.

"I'm sorry," Billy said to the ranch hands, ignoring the suit, "I didn't think I caught your names,"

"I'm Ed and this here's Frank,"

"Just the two gentlemen I was looking for!"

"Look, me and Frank were just having a conversion with Mr Pritchard here about..,"

"About the money we owe you?"

"WE don't owe these clods anything...,"

"Look, Cotton feels real bad about this. In fact, he's in his office cryin' right now,"

"Really?" Ed marveled.

"God's honest," Billy said, raising his right hand in a mock oath.

"In fact..."

Billy walked over to what he figured was an accountant's desk and began going through drawers

"Get away from there!" a now agitated Pritchard demanded, but Billy ignored him.

In the bottom side drawer was a heavy box of black iron. The third key he tried opened the box. Just what he was looking for. Petty cash.

Billy divided the bills and silver coins between the two men.

"This should settle up, huh?"

"Actually, this is way too much," Frank protested.

"Think of it as an apology for the trouble. In fact, why don't you and the rest of the boys take the rest of the day off?"

"I don't know..."

"Who the FUCK do you think you are?!" Pritchard thundered.

Billy smiled and placed his arm around his neck and pulled him close. Pritchard struggled, to no avail

"Its like you said," Billy said coldly, letting the fake accent drop as he stared coldly into the man's eyes, "Your boss knows some VERY dangerous people,"

"Shit...," Pritchard whispered, realization dawning in his eyes.

"Get the other hands to leave. Then, go," he told the two.

The two glanced at each other, stuffed the cash into their pockets and hurried out.

"I don't know who the hell you think you are," Pritchard wheezed, "but when I tell Cotton you're giving away his money, your ass is grass,"

Billy sighed in disgust as the oily man reached for the door to Tanyard's office. Falling in step behind him, he drew a leather sap from his pocket. A quick swing and the lead filled bag connected just behind his right ear and Pritchard went down like a felled oak.

Producing a ball of twine, Billy secured his hands behinds his back. A strip born from his cheap jacket made a passable gag.

As he was about to shove the unconscious fool in a nearby closet, Billy saw a permanent marker on a nearby desk. Channeling his inner Picasso, Billy drew a large cock and balls on Pritchard's forehead. Then, into the closet he went.

Feeling rather proud of himself, Billy went back into Tanyard's office.

"I bought us a bit of time, but not forever. Let's not overstay our welcome, eh?"
Report Post Tip

Runa could tell that Billy was nervous as they, as he said, continued to overstay their welcome. She felt more comfortable when she'd heard about the steps Billy had taken to send people away. They might even have all day, so what would another hour do? Still, even Runa was tapping her foot as the long process of finishing up those documents had drawn to a close.

When they were finally done, she spun to Tanyard and raised his chin with her knife. Billy could see a couple blood spots on his back where she'd had to "encourage" him to sign.

"Cotton. Never again. These papers mean we don't even need you alive. But we're willing to let you learn the lesson about what being a good business partner means. Now for yourself and your family, stop fucking around and make sure those horses run."

Standing, she strode out of the office and nodded at Billy.

"I know that took too long," she apologized to Billy as she held tightly onto the folders. "But this should help. I think we're done here. Message delivered to the target, and no one died. Seems like a win to-"

As if on cue, they heard the sirens in the distance. Runa's eyes closed for a moment, then she ran to the closest window.

"Six squad cars. Looks like a raid. But how the fuck would they..."

She shook her head.

"Look- get us out of here without killing any and I'll owe you a favor... and we get to go have that celebratory drink with Jack. If we get pinched or put any cops in the hospital or the morgue..."

Then we're fucked.

"Can you get us out of here without any trouble? Or minimal trouble?"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip
Billy frowned.

"I don't have any contacts with the cops in Las Vegas," Billy admitted, "Getting in a shootout would be crazy and I'm not a good enough getaway driver to....,"

Billy stopped, smiling as realization hit.

"Cross country. It has to be...,"

Billy made for the door.

"Come on! We've gotta get to the stables,"

As the two hurried toward the stables, Billy could almost hear the police beginning to tear through the ranch. They'd play it by the book, carefully clearing each room before proceeding to the next. That would buy them a little time. Billy could only hope it would be enough.

After what felt like forever, the two arrived at a stables. The nearest unit contained a beautiful white stallion. The name above the door read 'Casanova Killer'.

The universe loves irony, Billy thought

"I know this is a hell of a time to ask, but you don't happen to ride, do you? I can stay on a saddle, but the saddle... attaching... process...,"

"Yeah, I got nothin',"
Report Post Tip

Runa grinned.

"I can ride much better than I can drive or shoot. Shame about this dress, but it can't be helped."

She reached down and tore long slits in the dress so that she could sit astride a horse, then quickly saddled Casanova and readied him for the ride. 

"I'll get on him first and calm him down. He won't be used to two riders, so we've got to keep him nice and steady..."

Runa seemed to be half talking to Billy and half to the horse. Climbing up on one stirrup, she swung her leg high over the horse and adjusted herself in the saddle. She maneuvered the animal over to a box, where Billy climbed on.

"This is going to hurt your ass much more than that smack of yours hurt mine, but I don't see another choice. Hold onto my hips and don't fall off. I'll start out slow, but watch the balance..."

She stuffed the folders in her purse and tied it tightly to the saddle. No way was she losing those. 

"Alright, here we go..."

Runa started them out walking, slowly picking up speed as they exited the stable. They made it about halfway off the property before a shout went up, and Runa dug her heels into the horse. 

Casanova took off like a shot, and both Runa and Billy held on for dear life. The sirens roared, and Runa kept pushing the horse as they bolted towards the treeline. Finally out of sight, Runa dropped the horse to a trot.

"He's a racehorse. Short distances with one tiny rider is what he's used to. I don't want to push him."

The made steady progress, heading more or less directly towards The Strip Downs. Both seemed too preoccupied with their thoughts to talk much. 

When they arrived, Runa broke the ice.

"How you doing back there? You did some good work today, Billy."

As they approached the stable, they slid down off the horse and Runa led it to one of the attendants to get it looked after- once she'd removed her folders, of course. 

"Alright. Ready to head back and share the good news with Jack and Illiana? Maybe we can crack open that bottle of whatever."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Social Call to Cotton Tanyard
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL