Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 05:46:22
Page:  1 
Roleplay: When You Do and When You Don't Started by: Alesia on Jun 12, '11 04:55

A recent suggestion I was looking at talked about the fact that this is a roleplaying game first and foremost. It made me think about when I first got into this game, and the kind of impressions I got when looking it over. When I was a new player my first impression was that roleplay was essentially required most of the time in order to keep the game authentic, eccentric, and most of all enticing. The point being that as your character you get a different story everytime, and that interaction between other characters was what was going to keep you around.

I was in awe over the way the leaders played out their speeches as their character; how their character's personality and the player's writing style shined through the words and moved me. Made me believe in their power; regardless of what city they hailed from. It conveyed respect.

What I want to ask:

1. How often do you roleplay in the game, and where? (Mail, Streets, HQ)

2. Do you think the amount of detailed role play has decreased over time in the game? (EXLUDING stories in the streets, or "open" roleplays)

3. If you think it has or hasn't decreased, why do you think so?

4. How important would you say roleplay is when it comes to announcements from the bold suits, or debates in the streets?

5. What do you consider to be a "good" roleplay?

6. Do you think most players act out their characters, or act out themselves in game? (Especially regular players and descendents of characters)

7. Do you think bloodline hunting/banning could essentially be steadily eliminated if people played their characters differently everytime?

Report Post Tip

1. Semi-often, usually when me and a select circle of friends can actively be online in the streets.

2. Detail is especially important, I think you should try to get the same picture into everyone's mind. Even though you may think about a bar with a circular shape, someone else could be thinking of a bar that is quared off or just a straight bar.

3. I haven't been around long enough to know if it's increased or decreased.

4. In announcements, roleplay is flavorless icing on the cake. Nice to look at, but as long as the point gets across.

5. Good roleplay is role play that includes only the character (not controlling others), using details, and staying within the era of the game, like the 1920s.

6. I don't think most characters act out their characters because I haven't noticed a majority of players participating in either the streets, outside, or suggestions forum (for example).

7. If the person acted differently, then of course it could. Unless a psychic was in the family, there would be no way to tell if the person was from that bloodline. If a person could hide their behavior well enough, then of course it could.

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the reply Aldo.

Like you said "In announcements, roleplay is flavorless icing on the cake. Nice to look at, but as long as the point gets across", which means daily life in the family is probably going to be similar as well. This is an RP and a strategy game after all. War cannot be RP'd as it requires quick decisions and planning.

But in terms of enriching the game experience and making you feel like this character is it's own person in a mafia world, on a normal day to day basis in the HQ how important would you say RP is?

Also, in IRC do you speak as yourself or your character?

Report Post Tip

In the IRC, I speak as myself. I do RP occasionally, but that's usually standard chat RP, unrelated to this game. Not many people RP their characters in the IRC.

Report Post Tip

Yea, when you cyber you can't do it ooc.

nuff said.

Report Post Tip

1. How often do you roleplay in the game, and where? (Mail, Streets, HQ) - Practicly all my mail is IC and RP'd.

2. Do you think the amount of detailed role play has decreased over time in the game? (EXLUDING stories in the streets, or "open" roleplays). Yes, by far.

3. If you think it has or hasn't decreased, why do you think so? Quite simply, theres a heck of a lot less RP in the Business District and Streets.

4. How important would you say roleplay is when it comes to announcements from the bold suits, or debates in the streets? The fact they come out here as leaders is RP, people seem to always ignore that fact. RP isn't just talking in Italics and showing actions, the fact they come out here as a member of the criminal community points to them playing their character.

5. What do you consider to be a "good" roleplay? Provided the person remains within their character during the RP, it can't be anything but good.

6. Do you think most players act out their characters, or act out themselves in game? (Especially regular players and descendents of characters) Most act themselves, seldem do people act their characters. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I know when I'm Alabama, I act like a female and use her backround as a Call Girl and partner to Clarence as focal points of her character, so I like to think I use the character as much as I can, rather than my own persona.

7. Do you think bloodline hunting/banning could essentially be steadily eliminated if people played their characters differently everytime? Nah, some people always get their knickers in a twist and bloodline hunt. It'll never end.

Report Post Tip

1. How often do you roleplay in the game, and where? Madara lies down on the couch. I role play with most people when im not trying to give direct information

2. Do you think the amount of detailed role play has decreased over time in the game? Im not sure i've played long enough to give a fair comment on that one, sowwi.

3. If you think it has or hasn't decreased, why do you think so? N/A Madara takes out a smoke, lights it takes a drag then puts it out

4. How important would you say roleplay is when it comes to announcements from the bold suits, or debates in the streets? I think it is essential in a role playing game such as this, however i do find that large chunks of 'role play' becomes a tedious read at times and puts me off wanting to completely read everything that is said.

5. What do you consider to be a "good" roleplay? I personally like something thats light hearted, tongue in cheek but i'm also partial to some seriously sinister and indepth stories as long as they're written well enough to engage the imagination.

6. Do you think most players act out their characters, or act out themselves in game? I know there are some people who are really into their RP'in and shine through as their alter ego (in character) My character is mischievous and ev0l but in a 'im too evil to be angry' kind of way and is not above complimenting the skills of his foes.

7. Do you think bloodline hunting/banning could essentially be steadily eliminated if people played their characters differently everytime? No, unfortunately as much as it would be cool to remake yourself entirely on here the majority of in game discussions happen in private back rooms and on IRC where your IP user name remains the same, only way to change that is to change your net. It's a bit of a drastic solution to stop your 'bloodline' being hunted.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Roleplay: When You Do and When You Don't
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL