Get Timers Now!
X

May 01 - 22:51:14
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Rework the way we start/ranks. Started by: Harry_Strauss on May 02, '21 11:58
So, I’ve seen this rebuild mode keep coming and going. And I get the reasoning behind it, we want to keep more new players. But amongst older players I imagine there aren’t many fans of the rebuild system. I’ve been thinking of a way to keep both groups happy.

There’s currently a limit of two days to join a family or end up dead. Why don’t we remove this time limit completely?

*Listens to the gasps of horror*

Now hold up, let me explain.

My suggestion is as follows.

Change the starting ranks to include certain targets that must be met before allowing a new character to move up a rank. Rather than becoming eligible to be shot just because enough time has passed and you haven’t joined a family, give these new players some real time to acclimatise to the game.

They start as civilians. And if they don’t hang around, they go IA as they currently do after a week and are eligible for the main game to shoot.

But if they do hang around, change the tutorial from something that can be completed in around 10 minutes (or turned off entirely) into a thing that takes a few days to complete, into an extended kind of “boot camp” where they learn the basics of the game in enough detail to function as a full fledged member of the community, with enough knowledge to not fuck it up within their first week with a gun. (include an option to opt out for experienced members returning where the experienced member starts at the cap points. 15 units, thug, 75 petties to get a gun.)

This would give them an extended period of time to learn the game.

Keep it as a soft tutorial, where if they don’t want to engage at the time being they can just mess around with the game basics.
Don’t give them a gun during this time and don’t let them train their shooting, beyond maybe once as a tutorial lesson.
Include more information about certain technicalities of the game, removing some of the mystery around certain things, that experienced players have come to learn through trial and error.
Don’t let them achieve over a certain number of units. (15?) so that they can’t abuse this system to build cannons and made man or even GF drug units.
Don’t let them earn over a certain amount of cash in this state. (Limit to the first 5 drugs?)
Don’t let them work towards achievements.
Don’t let them earn hustle points (but give them a lesson on how they work?)

Assign volunteer sponsors to be their first point of call if they have answers. (Give them the ability to rate and switch out sponsors as they choose, seen by admins so they can replace sponsors who aren’t engaging or aren’t very helpful.)

This is only a rough idea, but I’m sure with some feedback and rework by the community it might actually be beneficial and help the population in the long run.

Please share your thoughts.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I like the idea.

I have to add to this.  There's a big roleplay component of this game that is missing.  Thinka bout this - the logistics of finding someone and killing them - let alone even knowing them.

I'd say it's safe to say 70% if not more of the characters in this game have not even been formally introduced to each other through roleplay.  So suddenly, a citizen appears in a city of Chicago, with a population of more than 2 million people.  But suddenly that person is found?  The lone button pushing is really getting old.  Especially if some newby doesn't join and isn't active more than 2 days.

Report Post Tip
Just been informed that the 48 hour rule has been changed to allow active gangsters to remain crewless, which is good, but I still believe the rest of the changes would be beneficial!
Report Post Tip
I understand the point you’re making and agree Crazy_Carmine. From a realism standpoint it isn’t likely, much like we are advised in the messages we receive from the game whilst achieving our first ranks, it would be good for the onus to be put on the prospective mafioso to approach a crews sponsors themselves and request a chance to prove themselves, rather than a mobster actively approaching petty thieves and trying to induct them. Giving the petty thief’s the opportunity to do this via giving them the chance to acclimatise would be beneficial.
Report Post Tip

@HarryStraus

Valid points.  I like the idea - imagine newer members in a territory formed their own street gang?  Do they actually control turf?  Not really, but the gang itself could pose as an independent group or minor-league team for mafia recruitment into their groups.  They could observe the good talent vs bad.  Plus it adds a touch of creativity to the game.

Report Post Tip

I'd say it's safe to say 70% if not more of the characters in this game have not even been formally introduced to each other through roleplay.  So suddenly, a citizen appears in a city of Chicago, with a population of more than 2 million people.  But suddenly that person is found? 

This is the purpose of the Job boards. For introduction  of the associate. Not too far fetched to do a job  then get noticed.  

There's a big roleplay component of this game that is missing.  

That roleplay component is up  to the Crew leaders and the players to incorporate you can not make rules forcing people to roleplay. Some people just do not like it. 

Especially if some newby doesn't join and isn't active more than 2 days.

Considering many people have families and jobs or school outside the game it is not unacceptable that some would be absent for 2 days.   This idea that people need to  put in the hours on a game that  are expected  on a job outside the game is outrageous. Yes, you want active members, but this is a game. Have some realistic expectations with other people. 

But if they do hang around, change the tutorial from something that can be completed in around 10 minutes (or turned off entirely) into a thing that takes a few days to complete, into an extended kind of “boot camp” where they learn the basics of the game in enough detail to function as a full fledged member of the community, with enough knowledge to not fuck it up within their first week with a gun. (include an option to opt out for experienced members returning where the experienced member starts at the cap points. 15 units, thug, 75 petties to get a gun.)

So basically take away the social aspect of the game where the higher ranked or older players communicate with the new members. The way it is set yup now it  is a mentor program which encourages people to interact and communicate. In my opinion this would take that social aspect away from the game.

Assign volunteer sponsors to be their first point of call if they have answers. (Give them the ability to rate and switch out sponsors as they choose, seen by admins so they can replace sponsors who aren’t engaging or aren’t very helpful.)

The Crew leaders should be assigning sponsorship to the players who will be perceptive and engage their associates.  See the problem is most the people don't give sponsorship to people who actively sponsor or even actively engage their associates, instead they give it to their friends.  This is commonly not given by merit but by a nepotistic ideology, which is  very common , not necessarily right across most societies.

You all  have some good ideas, but I can  not get behind anything that diminishes the players social interaction with each other, that is the base of a text based game.  

Report Post Tip

You all  have some good ideas, but I can  not get behind anything that diminishes the players social interaction with each other, that is the base of a text based game.  

So in other words, you like nepotism and hate change, so you can't get behind it.  Sounds like the story of this game.

Report Post Tip
Ryant, I understand what you’re saying, but I know when I started playing I didn’t really have someone teaching me the ropes and I nearly stopped playing because I screwed up a couple times and as you’ll know, screwing up means death here. There are so many rules and standards in this game that it’s difficult for a player to talk another player through them all.
Report Post Tip

It's not even just the rules.  Rules can be put into place, but they have to be taught correctly.  No one teaches it the right way.

However, I joined several years ago - very briefly - and was accused of being some character they knew in the past and was killed.  I wasn't even an actual character then.  And I was infuriated because I did nothing wrong.

Report Post Tip
Also Ryant, the game is designed so that if you want to play at a competitive level then you need to be active. Whilst Ofcourse there is room for someone to not be so active, crews playing competitively are going to naturally gravitate to those who build guns quickly. Those who engage in roleplay are going to gravitate towards eachother, and those wanting to add a bit more realism to the game are going to do the same.

If you’re a crew leader wanting to set yourself up in a certain fashion, you’re going to look for people who are going to help you achieve that goal.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Rework the way we start/ranks.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL