Get Timers Now!
X

May 09 - 13:49:50
Page:  1 
Detroit's Gandleton's Gadget Started by: BryanGandleton on Jul 05, '21 15:44

BryanGandleton stood infront of the decrepit building at 541 Monroe St. Bricktown was home and Bryan sure was happy to be back in the city he grew up in. Starting up a new shop wasn't going to be easy but with the help and protection of Qui-Gon-Jinn, he was going to make this shit whole sparkle.

"Ive done this before, right? It wasn't terribly difficult" Bryan thought to himself while planning the renovation in his head. "Although... I did have Sal, but I left him in L.A. to keep things running". 

Bryan paused. "Let's begin" He spoke softly under his breath but aloud nonetheless. 

​​​​"Shouldn't take more than a few days, a week, tops"

Report Post Tip

With the help of a few neighborhood kids looking to make a quick buck, Bryan was able to remove most of the junk and debris from within his new shop. He was surprised to see a front counter still mostly intact, shelving in the back, and sturdy floors.

"She's got good bones boys! We're gonna run a fine gadget shop from this joint. We'll replace the front of this counter with glass, so customers can see our wares. Build another display over there, add a loft to move my office upstairs, overlooking the main entrance here" 

Bryan gestured towards the shabby door barely holding on, it's not wonder there were so many rats inside. The boys assisting Bryan began to envision his shop with him, excited by the opportunity given, they hurried back to work, finishing the clean up ahead of schedule. Work began on repairs.

Later that evening after Bryan returned to see how far the boys had gotten he was shocked to see the shop in reasonable shape.

"Shit boys, you really did know what you we're doing. I know you had said a few could swing a hammer but I must say I'm pleasantly surprised."

Bryan looked around at the new display cabinets, shelving and paint job. He then looked upwards fully expecting to see nothing. "They actually built the loft?" He thought to himself, "How in the hell?"

"I'm impressed boys, to say the least I didn't expect this at all. I'll have to call my pal Sal and get him to push up the first shipment of gadgets. We'll be open far sooner than I thought and for that I thank you. Which one of you did I leave in charge?"

"That would be Donald sir, but he's a fucking idiot and I took charge when he didn't come back from 'break'. I hope you can understand."

Bryan, impressed by the young man's gumption, was reminded of a young Sal. He smiled and walked over to him. 

"What's your name young man?"

"My names Callum, sir. But people call me Cal."

Tickled by the coincidence Bryan chuckled. He and Cal we're going to get along just fine.

"The truck will be here Wednesday morning, we open Thursday. Now you ​​​​​​ARE in charge, don't screw up now"

And with that Bryan left for the night. Knowing now that things were going to be fine. Content with progress he returns home to get some over due rest.​​​​​​

Report Post Tip

Bryan arrived early Wednesday morning to prep for the shipment. He was ecstatic to see everything in motion, L.A. was busier then ever, the renovations in Detroit have been spectacular and things were looking good. 

​​​​​After about an hour of tidying up the back ro the rumble of the trucks engine could be heard pulling through the alleyway. Bryan pulled the metal chain connected to the small overhead door and pulled, slowly the door opened and the rumble became louder.

"Bout time you showed up Sal! Been here over an hour twiddling my damn thumbs waiting! How was the drive? You a tired son-of-a-bitch?"

Sal turned the engine off after coming to a halt. He jumped outta the drivers seat with a grin, walking towards Bryan.

"Ah quiet old man! You couldn't have done that drive in the same amount of time"

Bryan and Sal chuckled and shook hands. 

"Old man? When is that gonna stop Sal? I ain't that much older than ya." Bryan sighed as he opened to truck door and began directing Cal and his boys to start unloading.

"Sal this is Cal, your soon to be Detroit equivalent. I swear I didn't plan this..."

Sal and Cal then shared an awkward handshake and prolonged eye contact. Not sure if they like the other.

​​​​​​"Nice to meet you kid, now get back to work, this truck ain't gonna unload itself"

Bryan nodded to Cal as if to signal Sal was right. Cal reluctantly went back to work, despite feeling less than spectacular about Sal.

Report Post Tip

​​​​​​Gandleton's Gadgets was looking great. Renovations had been completed and the stock was put on display. Between the kid friendly Gentle Gadgets™ and the adult oriented Grizzle Gadgets™, Bryan's new shop had everything... Except customers. 

The shop had been open more than a full day and not a single order had been taken. The recent war had left Detroit on disarray, entire crews had been wiped out.. and people were scared to leave their house. 

Just then the mail had arrived. Bryan wasn't overly excited to receive it, "Bills... Bills.... Bills... A letter from Qui-Gon-Jinn? Intrigued Bryan quickly opened it. "The war is over" He read on, excited by the prospect. 

"Hopefully this brings in some more customers"

Report Post Tip

After passing a shop being renovated for the last week almost daily, Vinnie was shocked yet pleasantly surprised to see it open and operational. The sign "Gandleton's Gadget" was proudly hung above the door.

It was never good to see empty shops. People needed local businesses and had to help them thrive by taking them their custom. So keeping to his principles Vinnie opened the door and entered to an Aladdin's cave of he didn't know what. There were weird and wonderful looking items of all shapes and sizes but he didn't know what they were or there purpose

Something caught his eye that looked like it could be off an aliens spaceship. As he inspected it turning it over and over in his hands trying to figure out what this gadget could possibly be, he heard footsteps behind him and swivelled round to see a man dressed a lot like himself.

Vinnie was unsure if this was the owner or another member of the public like himself just perusing what fascinating wares were on offer in the quirky little shop. He lifted up the item towards him and asked "Any idea what this thing does?"

Report Post Tip

Bryan heard the door swing open, the bells chimed out. "A customer!" He excitedly ran down then spiral metal staircase that descended into to the lobby below. A man had come in and was browsing the available wares, confused at the purpose of many.

"Uh, that's a new fangled invention of my own design, I call it... 'The Toothbrush'. The tip of it is designed to remove the built up food from between your chompers" Bryan explained to the man. "I think it'll gain popularity before the decade is over, especially amount the youth."

Bryan gestured towards another display on the man's left side.

"But these, these right here are one of my most popular items." Bryan held up a inconspicuous item. "This can either save your life... Or end another's... Depending on what you're looking for. If you press this button it engages the system and after two minutes.... BAM"

Bryan attempted to startle the man.

"Just kidding, this is just a pen with multiple coloured inks, click the buttons, switch the ink... So, anything else your curious about"

​​​​​​

Report Post Tip

"A toothbrush!" Vinnie exclaimed loudly, exasperated and the owner quickly picked up on this potential customers disappointment as he quickly drew his attention to something of far more interest. Vinnie listened intently and his interest grew more and more as the owner explained how it could "Save your life or end another's." Vinnies eyes were as wide as saucers and he jumped when the man screamed "BAM!" 

The owner started laughing and explained to Vinnie that it was just a pen that you could switch the color of ink with the press of a button. Regaining his composure and laughing along to disguise his obvious embarrassment. Vinnie took the item and examined it before handing it back.

"I'm looking for something I can leave in our guest rooms as a gift for our clientele. It can either be something generic or gender specific." he continued. " Anything spring to mind?" He watched as the owner furrowed his brow as if deep in thought. 

"Well look, let me leave that with you. No pressure. I've got some errands to run. Next time I'm passing I'll pop in and see if you have anything suitable." responded Vinnie, attempting to take the pressure away from the situation. He thanked the man with a firm handshake and left the shop with his stomach giving that all too familiar sound.

Report Post Tip

"What on earth is a gadget?" she said to herself when the building and its sign came into view. She had been wandering the area for what felt like bloomin' hours before stumbling upon what appeared to be the only open business around. Walking in the door she looked around and frowned, well that hadn't cleared up the question at all, it was no less obvious now than it was forty seconds ago as to what a gadget was. 

Walking in further she spied a man who looked slightly familiar, but she couldn't quite put a name to him. "Excuse me, sir?" she said loudly with a little wave of her hand, "Don't mean to bother you, but what on earth is it that you sell here?" she asked, before looking around still confused. 

Report Post Tip

"Well ma'am we sell all sorts of things. We have, as I explained to the last guy, some innocent items like pens and toothbrushes, but we also have more adult gadgets like this 'Silencer' for a pistol that can change the sound to almost anything. I also do custom orders if you have an idea for a gadget, I can probably make it."

Bryan, who was still holding the toothbrush in his hand, hid his disappointment. "Why wouldn't people like a device to clean your teeth? Sure it's a new idea nowadays but I swear, it'll catch on by the end of the decade." He thought to himself.

"I recently received a shipment of these small handgun like gadget. It shoots a hook that's attached to a rope. Could help you access hard to reach areas."

Report Post Tip

"Oh, sorry" she said, "Must have not caught that conversation." looking curiously at the tooth brush until the gun with the hook was mentioned her attention snapped back to the man, "Yes, yes please. How much for the brush for the teeth, and the hook gun?" she asked him, trying to hold back her excitement at the prospect of Artie zipping around the city in the air. 

Report Post Tip

Bryan Searched tirelessly for the perfect gadget for Vinnie and his guests. Pens weren't enough, toothbrushes aren't quite good enough. "Maybe these new razors? Three blades is the future... No what about the ladies? Hmm..." Bryan thought to himself, the suddenly it hit him.

"This is it! This is perfect!" Bryan exclaimed, noticing his new cigarette machines and 'Gippo' lighters. "If he installs these machines in every room I'll supply the 'Gippo's' at half the price"

Bryan quickly called a messenger to send word to Vinnie. ​​​​​​

"Gosh I hope this is right, hopefully he likes them."

Report Post Tip

Staring in disbelief she watched the man walk away from her and start searching through the room and talking to himself. Charlotte opened her mouth to speak but decided against it at last minute and instead leaned against one of the shelves with her arms crossed and just watched. She was just about ready to hand over money to buy the flying hook for Artie, thinking he'd love it. Plus she was curious about brushing her teeth, seemed logical and easier in terms of hygeine. At the thought of that she gave herself a little sniff and nodded, still fresh. 

He seemed rather excited about what it is he had finally found, and she thought for a second he was going to be bringing it over to offer it to her as well, when he gave a shout for a messenger. Well that was that, then, wasn't it? She wondered if it was worth saying something about the customer service, she had heard from a few that Karen was quite successful with getting her way if she kicked up a fuss, but realized as fun as the gadgets may appear, it just wasn't worth the effort. 

"Well, thank you." she finally said, "I'll be going now." not giving the owner a chance to realize what he had done. With a small wave and forced smile she pushed off of the shelf gently to stand upright and headed out the door back into the opressive Detroit heat of the summer. "How strange," she thought to herself as she headed back to her place, Through the Grapevine. She was ready for a relaxing glass of white wine, chilled to perfection, and a few hours with a good book. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

the aardvark with the bard lark (again, this is fucking harder than it looks) pops into the gadget place and notices his friend charlotte in the gaff.

He wasn't surprised, last time he'd been to charlottes house he'd happened across  a box of 'gadgets' that were buzzy and whirry and had multiple...........i don't know, pokey bits.

'Did you run out of batteries again?'

Report Post Tip

Bryan was embarrassed at his lack of concentration as of late. With everything going on he was attempting autopilot. "Talk, sell stock, dwell" He thought to himself in circles. 

"Wait... Didn't I sell my green last 'Grapple Hook' to that nice girl the other day? Oh... Crap" Bryan saddened by his realization decides to track down the woman who had wronged.

"This isn't going to be easy, this town ain't very small"

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Detroit's Gandleton's Gadget
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL