Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 15:23:35
Help
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
NEW FEATURE: The Commission Started by: Squishy on Jul 14, '11 19:11

What is "The Commission"?
The Commission is a group of 13 people that will work with the suggestions forum, massage ideas, and bring them to fruition as ready-to-be-coded features. Their work will directly shape the features of the game and the direction it is heading.

What is the process?
Users submit ideas/modifications to the Suggestions forum. If someone on the commission thinks the idea has potential, they Sponsor it. It will remain in the users suggestion forum for a few days to gather user input. After a waiting period, another commissioner can choose to co-sponsor the bill. Once a bill has two sponsors it gets moved to the public commission forum. At this point, all of the commissioners massage the idea until it is complete (All public, except for specific math which is private). It is then put up for a vote, if it meets a certain % of approval, then it is kicked up to myself for final veto if needed. Once approved, it will be implemented into the game. If an idea does not get enough votes to be approved, it will be kicked back down to the suggestions forum for users to contribute on and possibly sponsored again at a future date. We will be setting aside XX hours a month for coding of Commission Ideas. This number will increase when we can hire another coder.

Who becomes a commissioner?
The initial round of commissioners are chosen by Admins and the leader of the commission. The leader of the commission holds their title for 6 months, as well as the LHM/RHM. The 10 other people are on a 45 day voting cycle. They can be voted in and out of office by vote results by the existing commission and the users as a whole. The voting process is very important and is to be taken seriously. This should not be a popularity vote. This process works best when the best people are voted in, and dead weight is voted out.

We plan to have this up and ready within the 2 month time frame. This is an exciting step towards the future of MR as we ramp up the game into a professional game we can all be proud of.

Report Post Tip

Very intriguing possibilities here- love the idea.

When will the nomination/application/voting process begin?

And I highly suggested that we recruit Bilbo Baggins as the Commission burglar so as not to create a group with the notoriously unlucky number 13. I really can't stress this enough.

Report Post Tip

This is a brilliant idea, should free up the admin's time on checking all the suggestions, whilst also giving the users the ability to have a real say in a new feature by means of a vote.

Good job, look forward to seeing this in place.

Report Post Tip

I'm loving this idea, I know there will be many many people eager to fill those slots, too.

Report Post Tip

I think this might be the best idea concerning player input that you guys have had.

Report Post Tip

I'm loving this idea, I know there will be many many people eager to fill those slots, too.
Reply by: AlabamaWorley at Jul 14, '11 21:07

Like me; this is the job I have been looking for.

And this is a serious post.

Report Post Tip

I'm loving the idea but my only concern is that pressure from other users might effect a person who is elected in. for example: The people elect person A because she/he is best suited for it. Person A is a goomba. Person B also ran but didn't win the votes. Person B says to person A, "If you don't vote the way I want you to I will kill you." Person B is person A's crewleader.

Report Post Tip

I feel that that kind of player intimidation would be evidence enough for admin intervention with the offending party losing their character. This "advisory board", so to speak, is OOC. So you shouldn't have mafia tactics applied that threaten people's player accounts.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about people being able to remain objective. If you have a rule that would improve the game, but would make it more difficult on the current crewleaders... and there are 10 CLs on the board of thirteen... but I suppose that one of the qualifications that people would hopefully vote for would be someone's ability to remain impartial.

Report Post Tip

I think that... in principal, this is a good idea - it will help get new ideas talked about and discussed and perhaps even implemented.

I think that... in practice, this has the potential for abuse, some ideas of how have already been stated - intimidation, for instance, or the vetoing out of hand of anything that would make things more difficult for the current crewleaders - yet more fair for everybody else.

Personally, I'm on the fence and want to see more of how this will turn out.

Report Post Tip

Crawford, valid point, I would hope though that anyone elected would step outside the realms of the game and their current status within it and look at ideas from a neutral stand point. After all, people that wish to do this job would hopefully be people that want to see the game improve and grow in the way its user base does, so you would hope that they would be objective about any ideas they work on.

I'll admit, i'd love to be one of those people.

Report Post Tip

good idea

Report Post Tip

I know a few people who will love the idea of being able to sponsor ideas etc..

Mrs-D glares over at Chuckle lurking in the shadows and Curtis springs to her mind also

Report Post Tip

This sounds to me like a great idea, sure it can be abused and offcourse at some times it will allow certain people or groups of people to gain relativly more influence. But all in all its a great way to let the players work for the good of the game and i bet it will make more people come out and speak their oppinion. I would certainly like to be part of that.

Report Post Tip

Oh by the way,I would also love to be one of these people haha

Report Post Tip

So, should I go ahead and put a campaign up for it? Haha.

Report Post Tip

I love this idea and would love to be one of the people involved.

Report Post Tip

Wow. This is a great addition to the game. I think this is perfect for MR and for the future game add-ons. I can't wait to see this put into place and be able to pick who is on this commision. Great idea!

Report Post Tip

As I've stated before the popularity or lack thereof of whatever CL's are in power at the time will inevitably effect the stances and positions of something like this.

Poor choice to give in to this. Tsk.

Report Post Tip

It's great to see that the input of users is being given increased consideration. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that their ideas and suggestions would be given serious thought.

As has already been mentioned, the impartiality of the various commissioners is of prime importance. I can't see this being too much of an issue though. Presumably the various commissioners would be roughly representative of all cities and standings within them, and this would help to alleviate any possible bias of the panel, avoiding the implementation of ideas that may benefit one section of the community but disadvantage another. By having the 45 day cycle of voting, they would also need to make sure they did whatever possible to put aside any personal preferences, at least if they wished to remain on the commission.

And at the end of the day, with the final decision (quite rightly) resting with Izzy, nothing will be introduced that isn't a valid change.

Report Post Tip

Well my honest hope is this works out better then it did on mafiamatrix, where half the time people had little interest or wanted to scew things to keep themselves alive longer. (commission 3 admin choice, 4 players in highest positions).  Half the time no feedback came from or had problems getting people together and voting on issues.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: NEW FEATURE: The Commission
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL