Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 01:13:32
Page:  1 
The Restless Youth - Unsupervised and Anxious Started by: Squishy on Aug 25, '21 05:31

The mayors have come to their final decision:  "When the cats away the mice shall play!  Large swatches of time without a single person in the hierarchy guiding today's youth is leading to a growing trend of idle hands.  We've recently heard reports that the youth are turning towards vandalism and crimes against property to pass the time and get their cheap thrills.   The police will be out in large numbers to keep these crimes away from civilians, however, there simply isn't funding to cover criminal on criminal behavior.  We will be dispatching extra fire management teams to handle the TNT and Molotov attacks, but we ask that the local community take an active role in mentoring the youth.  The local boards of tourism have closed their doors for over a month, and until such time that we can find a handful of people in the community willing to step up, they will unfortunately have to remain closed.  We will review this in a 2 weeks to see if the required improvement has been made, if not, we will be discussing alternative arrangements."

(HQ fort attacks will happen during periods of rebuild that are not triggered by large scale wars)

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I don't think this is a terrible idea, but wouldn't it make more sense to target the offenders? 

Reason being, an active HQ has people out front all the time. It would be very unlikely they be constantly harassed by an unknown opposition they can't even fight back against. 

Now an inactive crew, who is never around their building of operations is much more likely to fall into disarray and be targeted by undesirables. So if we want to punish the people not doing their part, that makes sense.

Lastly, I'll say from experience mass punishment is not effective and just causes distain from the population being punished while they uphold their obligations. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

I agree with Nick_Valentine here but, it would probably be a pain in the ass to code. (I have no idea how to code, I'm just speculating here)

Report Post Tip

I don't think this is a terrible idea, but wouldn't it make more sense to target the offenders? 

Who are the offenders though?  Is it the 104 sponsors that don't toggle on their sponsor flag?  Is it the members who don't sponsor?  Is it the active crews who have multiple sponsors on during times when 100% are toggled off? Is it the inactive crews?  Is it the crewleaders who steal the cash from their own sponsors? Is it the those at the top who find it outside of their comfort zone to tell those lessor rank to 'get your shit under control'? 

Im at a crossroads here, I can either auth crews who will do the job, but then I get extreme shit from people.  I can try to get to get the leaders to do what their name actually says right in the descriptor, or I can sit back and watch the game die because I am unable to turn the advertising back on because there is no one there to receive new members. 

This is a last ditch effort to get 1 person to step up and say 'Hey, being in rebuild is optional... how about we chose No?"  The sign is there for all to see way ahead of time before rebuild is ever turned on.  When the 6h mark is at 90%, thats your heads up that the 12h mark has the possibility of dropping below 95% if you no one steps up.  The 6 hour mark is there as a warning so you know when people have to step up.

Long before rebuild mode ever even has a chance of turning on, there has to be an epic failure on 104 people + all upper structures part.

Why are all the uppers so scared of asking for everyone to pull their own weight?  Lead... Delegate... Inspire... Or at least allow someone else to pick up your slack. :/

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

For me the offenders are the crew leaders who are not around to do what needs to be done. But also as you have always said the cities are left to build at their discretion. It's why we allow multiple godfathers, so that cities may build as they please and at the rate they desire. Not every city wants to recruit every person who does their jobs, and to me that's okay.

BUT, in saying that I think there is a difference in being selective and being absent. I think those absent leaders should be punished accordingly, possibly along with their hands. Anyone who joins the active structure around here has to agree to doing so. Those that join and then do not uphold their obligations should have inherent consequences. That do not affect other leaders or the game at large.

I'm not saying this was a bad addition, but you have access to alot of information the users do not. You know the prime offenders here, and as an admin enforcing a set of standard, the repercussions should be directed at those not meeting the standard. So I really don't want you to take this as a knock on you, it's good to see you care enough to try and make changes that will positively affect the game. I just think this particular one may have missed that mark a bit.

Report Post Tip

Who are the offenders though?

It is the fault of the people who keep authorizing and placing the same people in upper structure merely because they are a friend or have chosen take offense to past characters instead of what they have potential to do, or shown what they can do.   This why it so hard to gain/retain new players. 

Why are all the uppers so scared of asking for everyone to pull their own weight?  Lead... Delegate... Inspire... Or at least allow someone else to pick up your slack. :/

It is a fear of lost power (basic human nature), that is why they don't want to find the potential that is out there. They only want people they know will not question the status quo.

Report Post Tip

I'd like to preface my argument by saying, I love this game and most of the mechanics of it. Although there are a few problems I see with the rules. First what want to say is there is a certain time period where the sponsorship of new players is low. This time period is always consistent, taking in this consideration, it would be fair to say that the majority of people that play here aren't online at this time. I feel that it is unfair to punish people that actually play this game and abide by the rules, to be punished when most of us are asleep or are working at the time. So, for me, the 72 hour rebuild period isn't helpful, nor is the hq destruction that was just implemented. I understand that you want the game to grow, that's what we all want, but this new measure is unhelpful in my eyes. Now all crews have to pay the price for, what? Not being awake at the right time? I can't agree with that reasoning. I feel it will alienate people that actually want to build a community here, instead of just being a tourist and retiring 10 minutes in to playing. As a CL Im not interested in players that join and become inactive right away. They don't contribute anything to the game, and I don't want to cater to these people. I have more to say but, I'll start here.

From what I've seen the blame doesn't really fall squarely on any person or group of people individually - each of the things Izzy mentioned contribute and as a community we all hold some of the blame in my opinion - but frankly, placing the blame should not be the focus here. 

We seem to have a "weak spot" between the hours of roughly 1-6:00 game time where jobs tend to not be available. I'm really not sure of a way to combat that... population and activity are lower than normal in general right now, not just during those hours. Activity historically drops in the late summer and then picks up again as Halloween nears us - with the exception of last year when most of us were locked inside. There are certainly people online at those hours, but clearly not people with their sponsor tag on. Occasionally I am on late, but until recently the crew had been full so I obviously had the sponsor toggled off.

That 104 sponsors toggled off stat is a bit eye watering though. I'm curious if that's just a static "104 people are currently set to off, whether online or not" or "104 people physically turned off their sponsor tag?" Would it be possible for us to have a running total on that in the rebuild stats? Total number of sponsors, sponsors active in the past x hours, sponsors with the button turned off, etc? 

That "weak spot" Is the focus of my argument here. If there is a consistent "weak spot" then why should everyone have to suffer? Why not just rack that up to people not being online in force for those hours. Most of us want new members to join our crews, but if no one is on at the time, why punish us for it? If people are on at that time, punish them. 

Report Post Tip

All i know at present, is i haven't had motivation to play for a while, sub 5 hours a week generally, even if have a sponsor badge which i never chose to receive.   I just generally grind up a few credits of CA's etc.   Seeing this feature for me, makes me even less motivated to rank up, pour my heart and soul in, just to know no matter what forts will be ripped to be pieces etc, for things out of my control protentially if i become a leader, especially as a non-donator who knows the realistic struggle for members at stages as people sit as -1's, do jobs don't respond to mails or pose as a n00b targeting ways into certain families; as has been the staple for years.

Although i can understand the frustration of losing potential new members to the game, for me, i guess is no perfect solution and nothing that will push many to want to want to play more iincluding me, possibly will play less now due to it.  

Report Post Tip

The whole fear of losing power argument goes out the window when half of the regime is inactive.  How do you fear you are losing power but dont log in at all? It's honestly ridiculous the amount of excuses seen here. This was not an issue the last year and half its absolutely on the leaders. 

However if you auth me I can fix all of this. I can show you all how to be prosperous.  A better future , for a better us. 

Vote for Maeve. 

I suggest that all the CL's incentives their sponsors to gain new recruits.  Maybe a credit per recruit or a cash bonus for you AND the sponsee.  You know, just bribe mothertruckers to want to do their job and sit patiently and wait for a sponsee to bite that hook and reel 'em in!

Or maybe give a bit of cash to your sponsor for a new recruit and a 1 credit bonus every week the recruit stays in the crew.  You know, so you don't get those assholes that love to abuse the system and join just for the incentive and leave because they got what they came for, like me when I come visit your Mom.

In my own personal experience, being a sponsor can be a drag, because most of the time no matter how long I've had my sponsorship button on, no one ever bites.  When they do bite, we talk for a bit, then they usually go to another crew, which is completely fine with me.  But, I am not willing to sit there and stare at the sponsorship button waiting for someone to randomly do a job for my family.  I very well have many other things I'd rather be doing than hoping and wishing for someone to decide they want to do a job for the family I'm in. 

Also, many times I would experience having my sponsorship button on all day with no bites, then when I alt+tab and start doing something else, like watch a movie or a couple of music videos and sure as shit, someone will randomly do a job for my family and I get in trouble because I'm off doing something else.  Yes, I understand that I should turn my sponsorship button off when I go do something else, but to be honest, I usually forget that shit is even on with the lack of people doing jobs while my button is on.

As unfortunate as it sounds, the best time to turn on my sponsorship button would be directly after a war or even during one, but this could be a double-edge blade because I might get someone really pissed off and distraught that their crew died off and they end up being a rogue and I would probably get slammed for inviting a rogue into my crew.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: The Restless Youth - Unsupervised and Anxious
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL