Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 20 - 11:40:03
Page:  1 
Why you homeless? Started by: Tyrion on Sep 28, '21 15:06

So i'm sure i'm far from alone in noticing an increase in the number of homeless folks around these parts currently. In the days of old, such things wouldn't be possible as those pesky gun trainers would use these homeless folks as target practice, but now the homeless have a better level of protection from us it has emboldened their desire to sleep rough and not seek shelter in a warm HQ somewhere.

That begs the question though - why? When someone gets off the boat, its not uncommon for them to lack direction and for someone to approach them to invite them to learn the trade in their family, it would be very strange for someone like that to go un-noticed and wander around homeless for eternity, so it stands to reason that the people we see currently homeless are doing so by choice and likely have a good grasp of the benefits that being with a family brings, yet are choosing not to enjoy these benefits. I understand some of these people will be from familys that were recently struck down by the Gods, but I dont think that will account for many of them.

Now I considered approaching these people, but then it struck me, they obviously know they can find a home if they want one, if I approach them it will only look like my interest is to entice them to Detroit, but really my interest is to understand them. So please, if you are walking by these streets right now and have listened to my query - feel free to come and see me and give me some insight, or better yet, speak here and let us all understand your reasons, if any. 

Now.. with that said. I guess the second question this raises is whether WE do enough to encourage these people to seek shelter. I've just openly admitted to holding myself back from approaching folk like this, is that a bad thing? Should I do more? Should I ignore how sad and pathetic and desperate that could look if I were to approach these individuals? Should the container crew from Vegas be doing more to track these people down and get them ready for transfer to an established family? I would love to hear the opinion of the people on these issues. 

I would also love it if any other leaders in this thing of ours were happy to share their own experience and thoughts on this, have you approached anyone like this, if so, what was their response? Or did you refuse to approach them for different reasons to me? Is approaching people beneath some of us?

I welcome any and all opinion on this. Well.. maybe not Rocky...

Report Post Tips: 11 / Total: $220,000 Tip
I won't comment, Tyrion, but I say that any homeless person could enter the multi agency, fairly judged WRITING CONTEST with huge prizes!

Now back to Tyrion's discussion. On you go, son.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $30,000 Tip

The question Tyrion is why wouldn't you? I have spoken to several homeless folks myself, just to find out their temperament, and the and the answers are almost as numerous as the numbers of homeless themselves. No taxes, being your own boss, going where you please, not having to fund greedy incompetant leaders defences, and a lack of decent leaders have all be cited to me as reasons why the homeless are homeless. And to be honest, I can see the attraction, really what does a family offer that you can't get elsewhere? Protection? As you said yourself, their own protection is often better than what they can get as a member of a crew. Comradeship? With Cityhall doing all in their power to push us to the coffeeshops, you can get that in buckets.

In fact the only things a family offers is the chance to be Made, and the chance to buy a Drug Front Property, and lets face it, the luster of being Made has long since worn off. OCs and the Chance to be CL is all it offers. Many don't want to be a CL and can't be bothered with the hassle and work load involved, and not being able to start an OC does not bar one from assisting others. In fact not being Made increases you chance of surving a war, due to your lowly status and the potential of your killer getting 'heat'. Even rogues would be less likely to kill you as you have no affiliation with the status Quo. As for DFPs, often they are rarer than hen's teeth, so are you really missing anything anyway? 

Honestly, if I wasn't working with people I love and respect, I'd almost consider buying out and living the hobo life myself. Maybe tomorrow, I'll find what I call home, Until tomorrow, you know I'm free to roam.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Tutte vtotally agree with Tyrion in his asking "Why are you homeless"

Havent ever seen so many that are this as it isd now and its a real shameso many that dont wont even answer a contact and just ignore it which is sad as hell.

Perhaps time to do something about this soon sinc eits just a bad way of living for every one.

"Tutte lights up a smoke and shakes his head to this sad issue in this world and thinks of it soon must be a change in it"

Report Post Tip

Growls into his chest-beard hair and chews on a morsal found embedded within it. The rain had left a damp patch on his arse and it was more comfortable to sit rather than stand to meet those in discussion on the streets.

"Retiring from this life is liberating, in a sense. I can also confirm that leaving the Mafia life behind does still allows you some comforts, such as outdoor dining, unrestricted roam of the cities and free dental care."

He lifts a nearby brick and waves it.

"What I enjoy most though, is the impartial view of the world. I've walked the walk as far as my determination would take me, and talked the talk as well as my education would allow me. My relationships are now void of grudges and I'm free to be a friend, confidant, or advisor to all."

LG farts and rolls over back into his newspaper.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Tyrion, this is a great topic. I personally have messaged a certain homeless member of the community, who will not be named, in an attempt to recruit them. When I approached them, they were personable and seemed to be able to hold a decent conversation. As I picked their brain, I asked if they wanted to join a family and they said "No." When I asked why not, they didn't really have any other reason other than, "I want to see how long I can live without a family." Now is this a way to live your life? Not knowing what day you will just be shot down due to not being protected? Is this some sort of Russian Roulette? Not sure. But it seemed to intrigue him and he still refused to join and to this day that hasn't changed.

So I am not 100% sure as to why people do not join families, but some just have no desire to.

Report Post Tip
My only question, is why do you assume these people are homeless? Unemployed, sure, but at least some of them must be renting an apartment at the very least. Especially when you consider the wealth a few of them are showing off.
Report Post Tip

I too have attempted to make contact with some of the less privileged members of our society. Sadly, I didn't even receive a response to my message, even though it was not a recruitment mail; simply a courtesy mail to see if the gentleman needed any assistance, or even a friendly chat.

Beyond this, I'm not sure how else I could be expected to elicit a response, so I took the view that - should someone require a home, they will inevitably seek one out. If not, they have the protection afforded to them by the Gods - provided they are savvy enough to maintain the protection these street dwellers have been gifted.

Report Post Tip

In some of my conversations with a few of the unemployed among us, there were some that were hesitating to join this life. Often they would go silent, or retire before they really had many conversations. Others have expressed a desire not to join temporary homes as they did not wish to be shifted about once they had taken on an invitation and found that this was hard to determine which headquarters would still be remaining and which would not.

I cannot speak for all, but these were a few of my experiences. Maybe it will shed some light or ideas that may help answer the question.

Report Post Tip

Stoney finalized the purchase of a used tent and a flashlight. The salesman throws in a free newspaper telling Stoney he may be interested in a particular article addressing the homeless.  

I appreciate those who did reach out to me. And they cannot be faulted.  I remember there was a time that was unheard of because anyone who migrated here for work had to request the work. A question that should be asked is "How come we got to the point of approaching the homeless?"  

I gave my reasons to those who reached out to me. I have trust issues in the leadership. It may have changed but at this time, I don't have it in me to give it a chance. And rightfully so. My last run here awhile ago forced my hand into retirement. And lastly, I have much respect for the Gawd of this country, that I stand in line at least twice daily to vote.  He has a good thing here with much potential. But the changes needed are going to have to come from within. 

Thanks for your time. 

Report Post Tip

I wasn't quite homeless, I had a nice house. Well, it was my parents house, but I had a nice bedroom there. They didn't bother me much. My Mama was a bit of a nosey bitch sometimes, I guess. Only in a well meaning kind of way. I probably wouldn't have got into this life at all if it hadn't been for one quirk of fate like an event happening the was really unexpected.

It all changed for me when I was invited to join an Art Gallery Job. A bit of a surprise really as I was just walking down the street minding my own business, with only $30,000 in freshly minted voting money to my name and barely a contact to rub together, like two things that rub together well. Then WHAM. Dr_Satan was asking me to get involved in hitting this local Art Gallery.

Being unsponsored and a Thug, I thought it would be a bit silly of me to refuse and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth like Icarus when he flew too close to the sun, so I accepted and tagged along with those guys. Being a rookie, I followed their lead and before you know it I was standing outside trying not to look too much like I was standing outside on an Art Gallery Job I wasn't qualified to be on. 

5 minutes later, Dr_Satan comes barging out, a painting under his arm and hits me right in the back. We both go down the steps, rolling over and over. Maybe I wasn't suppose to stand directly in the doorway. I didn't know that. It was my first day on the job. Needless to say, his knee went through the painting. The security guard heard the commotion and the swearing and the crying (some from me, mostly from Dr_Satan) and called the cops. We wound up getting pinched. Like when Grandma would grab my cheek and I would call the cops on her for GBH and she got arrested.

Once we got out and with that remarkable success on our resume, I decided that the unaffiliated life wasn't for me. I needed a gang at my back so I could get up to more hi-jinx and more incompetence-induced jail time. I left a message with a guard at the prison for Dr_Satan that I would like to join their crew once he had done whatever it was he needed to do to get out, and I'm pleased to say he accepted. Now here I am, no longer one of the rich unaffiliated dandies that everyone admires, I'm an associate. Out to prove myself a team player like Julius Caesar to the Senate. Watch out world. I'm Radioactive. Radioactive.  

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $999,999 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Why you homeless?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL