Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 05:48:27
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
New York Speaks on the War Started by: PrinceofCheese on Mar 30, '08 09:30
Well said your Cheeseness. Yeah, I think its important to be diplomatic in your dealings with other leaders. Theres no point whatsoever in being like a bull in a china shop unless you have the strength AND the balls to back it up.

History has shown that a steady diplomatic approach will get you to the top quicker. Yes, there have been exceptions along the way and some really distinguished ones, but by and large, those who jump in too quickly with their opinions dont last too long if their opinions cause concern to those with the power.

good discussion :-)
Report Post Tip
The more you can enforce through power the more you can speak up, such is the nature of the mafia.

Agreed, and it brings up the debate between 'hard' power (ability to kill, money, size of crew etc) and 'soft' power - the ability to persuade, seduce, and influence without the threat of force or intimidation.

The nature of speech-making on these streets, particular to our world, puts a lot of sway with having soft power, since words are often seriously powerful. But you're right, without the ability to back up promises, and deal with threats, soft power is essentially useless. I wonder whether leaders who rule by the iron rod would trade a few BGs and their destructive gun for the sake of being admired and listened to more as sensible and wise on the streets. I guess the perfect leader seeks a balance somewhere, that's the art of it...
Report Post Tip
Isen, accept your point but ultimately a leader exists to survive and protect his/her family...that is the pure and unadulterated reasoning...everything else is secondary. So whatever means it takes to achieve this tends to be the course of action when it comes down to it.

However, in my opinion the perfect leader should have a balance between hard and soft skills. Balance though is probably the wrong word as a dominant leader will generally be the one with the best defence and the best attack and some relationships but a legacy buidling leader will have great defence, great wack and great soft skills.

That's my view anyway, what do you think?
Report Post Tip
Talon, a rather large FYI here...

I am not a car. Nor am I some tinpot with a shitty engine that cuts out randomly. I could understand if you got those 2 confused.

Hondo, with a big O at the end for O-MG.

Mmmk thnx.

And thanks for your answers. I can be restored to maximum brain capacity and resume licking windows.
Report Post Tip
Yeh, I think picking the distinction between 'dominant' and 'legacy-building' is right. I think a linked consideration is to do with bloodlines. A leader prepared to kill at will, take the world by the scruff of the neck is likely to make enemies as well as friends - thereby jeopardising the future of his bloodline. Whereas the legacy-building leader, whilst perhaps being weaker than the dominant, is investing in his or her bloodline, creating alliances and friendships which sons and daughters can share. That's why I've always been sceptical of the 'dominant' position, it seems easy to risk your future that way.

But overarching it all, as you said, is the survival of the family. At times that will call for defiance and strength, or 'dominance', and at times it will mean patience, subtlety, and the softer side of power. The truly great leader isn't captured by the allure of either, but able to switch between both as he or she pleases...
Report Post Tip
Perhaps the ultimate leader is one who first dominates and then builds legacy? Hard to say really lol
Report Post Tip
Hondo, I meant no offense, I heard your name briefly and came up with my own hybrid it would seem.

According to my shrink, I should be taking my Type-R medication, without which, I jump at Shadows, think I'm a Jazz Legend and have a tendancy to forget things.

On that note, I bid you good day, I am off to get my medication. . .
Report Post Tip
You aren't a jazz leader???

Eyes well up

Sniff sniff.
Report Post Tip
There's no question that last week's epic war was not simply a conflict between just 2 families. Each side had its own circle of friends who were willing to fight to the death, and it turned out to be a war far from one-on-one. Since New York has revealed its side of the story I feel that the spot is open for me to address the participation of Las Vegas in the war.

I don't think there's many people who aren't sure of the side I favoured; the bloodlines of myself and the Don of New York are, as most of you know, pretty close. It was the Cheeseman who gave me auth to run my very own family in Sin City, and for that the 13th owes itself to POC indefinitely.

I was awoken from my bed in my Las Vegas palace that Good Friday morning, not by one of my cheap filthy whores begging me for more sexy time as usual, but by one of my associates who had some grave news to offer me. I was shocked and pretty damn disgusted to hear that some of PrinceofCheese's high rankers had fallen to the gun of the head of Philly, Limoncello, in the beginnings of an attempted takedown.

As more bodies poured into their graves as the day carried on, I ceased to use my gun and ordered all of the 13th to sit tight and remain calm. The war had not come to Las Vegas yet, and until it did so, I had no immediate plans to join in with it. I was fairly sure that New York would prevail anyway, with the help and support of other families now beginning to make some leeway on Limoncello's members. It was around sometime in the afternoon, however, that I was made aware of a well-known member of the Limoncello family, sighted in my city acting "suspiciously". It was then that I knew the war was coming to Vegas, and after ridding this mafioso from the City of Sin, I was proven right. The two head honchos and their minions stormed the streets of Vegas flashing their guns, bloodthirsty.

By now, Limoncello had taken a shot at the NY Don a couple times already without hitting. Many of her members lay in their graves and it was only a matter of time before she was assassinated. Bodies began to cover the Las Vegas strip, which I had only just recently had washed clean and re-tarmaced. I couldn't sit here in my home city while a leader who I barely knew set about trying to kill the man that authed me. So, with Limoncello a few members and couple of Bodyguards less later courtesy of yours truly, the underworld was wiser of the intentions of the 13th.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. And the only blood that was shed on the part of the 13th, was shed in our home city. We did not bring our business elsewhere. Yes, I sided with POC. No, my involvement wasn't large. The reason I decided to vent the details of the small part that my crew played in the war? Well, I just wanted to make it clear for those of you that didn't already know. I'm sure other family heads who were involved that day have much more interesting, detailed stories of their involvement in the war. I just saw no reason not to reveal where I stood. I think above all else, last week's war provided us all with lessons to be learnt. If used to their advantage, these lessons will only make us wiser and stronger for the future. I sure hope so anyway.

Good day all.

The preceding announcement has been paid for by the 13th
Report Post Tip
Not that I have to come out here and discuss my business but it seems like it's what all the cool kids are doing.

My involvement was pretty simple and runs thusly.

I awoke on Good Friday to my RHM shaking me assertively, I knew something was wrong.

"Limoncello is attacking PoC, get up you lazy fuck."

So, not one to act rashly, I sat back and gathered my thoughts and entered a much heated discussion with my upper echelons. It was around this time I received a hand delivered note from Limoncello herself.

"This war only involves Cheese."

Now, knowing that this was obviously a diversionary tactic and being the generally sound minded fellow I am I replied with a favourable response, (from her point of view), and continued my coffee shop banter. It was a tricky situation, I had a 5 hour train journey ahead of me to take care of some unfinished business, something that could not be rearranged at such short notice.

I left on my journey leaving sole responsibility for the escalating issues with my RHM. Around halfway through said journey, at a scheduled stop off, I was handed a piece of paper saying the Partisans help had been requested in New York. Apparently Limoncello was authing rogues indiscriminately and we were needed. With PoC being my main, and possibly only ally, of course I granted our help and we went to work minus myself. Our effort was co ordinated quite magnificently by my RHM and I owe her a debt of gratitude.

By the time my business was done, TCW's effort had all but failed, I removed a couple of the lingering threats and left PoC to hunt down Limoncello, which he succeeded in shortly afterwards.

My hat goes off to all those, both in PoC's and my family who fought so valiantly for the common cause.

So, thats it, quite a boring story really, did you really want to know?

I doubt it.

Winks and wanders off........
Report Post Tip
In the distance the shadow covered man hears the faint murmurs and mutters from the large crowd of people gathered on the corner. He grins to himself as he stealthily weaves his way through the bodies, completely unnoticed, chuckling as he listens to the whispers of "Where is this l0v3hanD person?". At last he jumps to the front of the group and someone gasps. l0v3hanD, crime boss of New Orleans, waves his hands as the crowd chatters their approval of his almost magical appearance from thin air.

Feeling slightly left out listening to everyone talk about their perspective on the war and how they contributed, I decided to come by and join in.

I had planned to wake up early on that Good Friday to begin my conquest on making the rank of Consig. Yet as I arose from my bed and walked outside to check the weather I saw flying bullets, passing me in every direction!

I ducked for cover and immediately got on the phone to a contact of mine... I had guessed he would know what was happening. He informed me Limoncello was attacking POC. I made a few more calls but there was no answer from POC or Intervention, my leader at the time and POC's Captain. It was then I knew we were involved in all of this.

At that time I began shouting (at my laptop screen : >); once calmed down I regained my composure and grabbed a few people I knew were loyal to POC and Intervention. We flew into the city where POC himself was located and immediately shot and killed a few high rankers from Miss Limoncello's crew. This infuriated her and irked her and a few of her family into shooting back at us. It's what we wanted, of course. We knew this would distract her from shooting at POC. I knew this would be dangerous and unfortunately a few of my friends and associates who came to help me were shot between the eyes! Nothing saddens me more than to know they died, but at least their deaths were not in vain.

There was a point when we thought this effort was a lost cause. Moments later PrinceofCheese and Intervention arrived, and with their fire power and determination the tide began to slowly turn in our direction, lifting our morale considerably! Cab_Tufting declared his alliance with POC and it was music to our ears as one after another Limoncello's family members were slain in the streets. In all honesty, a few of us knew on this day victory was going to be ours!

After many hours only Limoncello remained alive, and it was only a matter of time before we knew the war would end. Over the four hours we waited for Limoncello's protection agency to rat her out I took the opportunity to thank the many people who helped us on that fateful day, and sent many condolences to the sons and daughters of my friends who passed away as well.

It was one of the best days I had ever spent in the ranks of L'Esercito Del Formaggio and The Revivals; to see us all unite together despite the tragedy that we all experienced.

Mr. Cheesy himself authed me for my efforts in the war (mucho appreciated). I packed my bags and POC threw me on a plane to New Orleans to open my new HQ. That is where I remain today, and plan to remain for quite some time.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: New York Speaks on the War
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL