Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 11:32:21
Help
2 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Roleplaying v Character Perspective Started by: Bacon on Jan 07, '22 16:48

Sorry I forgot add one more thing all creativity should be supported.  

Instead ostracizing and attacking these maybe advocating for separate forums for the various themes of writing would be more beneficial for the whole instead of just the part.

Report Post Tip
When I hear hardcore RPers I think of those old timers who would write huge threads just to make a simple announcement. Not so much the group of people who would post non-mafia related things. Even so, tagging “(ORP)” in the title made such topics okay if I recall.
Report Post Tip

I wasn't justifying it Alice, stating a fact. I've played a Rat, a Gecko, a Panda, a few vampires, an alien superfiend, non english speakers, a sith lord, a trans dimensional demon, males, females, kids, characters of dubious sexuality, a unicorn, Jesus, and loads more. The only one that ever gave people issue was the alien superfiend, 'whossse ssstyle offf talking made it offften diffffficult fffor people to read.'

Whilst I have never attacked people for it, I am with Julius here and think of the great roleplayers as those who embodied the game and would post long and winding narratives to make a point or debate in the street,not the people who post non interactive stories. I can understand why certain individuals were put off by folks who only interacted with 1 or 2 individuals in a preset way within a mmorg. That is character driven narrative, not roleplaying. And as I stated  I am not justifying their treatment or supporting it, just sharing a viewpoint and understanding.

Report Post Tip

great roleplayers as those who embodied the game and would post long and winding narratives to make a point or debate in the street,not the people who post non interactive stories.

A roleplay is always interactive. You just have to find a way to inject into the story within the storyline.  Like the alien who injected themselves into a story of a girl getting drunk on a park bench. Push the creativity. 

A roleplay is a narrative between two people or more.  The OP makes the initial post and other posters follow the story and inject themselves in some manner.

The only reason so many rps appear to be a single poster telling a non interactive story  is because others don't join it.  For example my this way or that rp would have been fun if someone had decided to walk the path and see the sign and choose a way to go. But no one has, therefore it is  just a single non interactive story. 

I don't think people actually want roleplays they want debate in a story fashion. 

Report Post Tip

This thread was created because the user was upset that his post listed below was deleted for being OOC in the Streets

I've noticed a similar topics and posts Julius and I would agree the streets posting guidelines should be revised to allow for leniency related to IC posting requirements. I feel the lines are somewhat muddled between non-RP to RP posts and what the streets are primarily intended for has become unclear. I think allowing for both posting types with mixing of types in thread seems appropriate and reasonable. Ultimately, it would be up to ♥Jen, @Toby, Squishy on if the streets could benefit from a re-evaluation of rules and policies. Such a review would help to close off varying disconnects and potentially even a few of the forum categories appear redundant or having an indirect in pulling worthwhile discussions off the streets.

The user was upset with their reply being removed for being OOC then went and reported a different users reply in the same thread, and was upset that we did not delete it (that post is below)

You've hit the nail firmly on the head there Dagda, there will never be an end to the crying.

You can never appease all people all of the time. There is always someone unhappy with how things are and normally these people will want to kick and scream and complain instead of working to help make a change. They seldom will have any ideas of how things could be better, but are more than willing to tell you how bad they currently are.

Our ancestors have seen it all in this thing of ours and you know as well as I do that the much lauded "it was better x years ago" is a load of shite. These streets have always been what people make them, they will be quiet at times and they will be full of nonsense at times, but the only way any of us can alter what they are, is by participating in whatever change it is we want to see.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm nowhere near as vocal as many of my lineage have been in the past, that isn't because I don't have a desire to walk these streets and converse, it's just there hasn't been anything of note that I wish to raise nor anything until recently that I wanted to add my opinion to.

I'm a happy man with any action on the streets that I can utiilse to take me away from routine of committing crimes, whether that be someone telling us a story or people coming out to announce changes in their cities, or as you said the odd competition being held. Anything is better than nothing - and yes, that includes a certain repetitive voice that loves to make themselves out as some sort of street saviour.

The user was unhappy that the first helpdesker didn't yield to them, multiple mails later they were also unhappy that the second helpdesker didn't yield to them.  They then looped in myself, who also did not agree.  When I closed the matter, they came here to post this. Context matters.  

The user's removed post shows zero effort in trying to avoid OOC.  The post they reported I clearly see effort being made trying to avoid OOC.

This is why one stayed and the other didn't. 

If you want to debate in a thread, but you also want to gain rewards for it, then you need to put the effort in to get those Street rewards.  If you want much less strict rules where you can speak 100% in OOC, then the thread and its replies are best suited for OOC.

Report Post Tip

As previously mentioned in my replies, I'm just asking for a clear, definite understanding for posting in the streets and discussing the "game" when threads are explicity discussing such matters. How should I rephrase to be appropriate for the streets context. I reported the post because I was confused.

I never was upset or vengeful. I don't appreciate the accusations and wish you would post our entire conversation to show that. Being a member of this community for over a decade and a longstanding contribution for perk events and alike I had hoped there was a level of mutual respect to have a open dialogue. I'm really bummed to see this happen and slammed with a skewed perspective. 

My genuine purpose in this thread, given it's in the HELP forum, is to help others who might be confused by the arbitrary interpretations of IC specifically in the streets. It seems the rules have evolved to include a "character perspective" which I did not see any announcement or memo about so that I was aware of the posting criteria. 

I only wanted to help the community, and indirectly yourself/business, so that more would be willing to post in streets without walking on egg shells about talking about the game and it's dynamics. 

Report Post Tip

As previously mentioned in my replies, I'm just asking for a clear, definite understanding for posting in the streets and discussing the "game" when threads are explicity discussing such matters. How should I rephrase to be appropriate for the streets context. I reported the post because I was confused.

You reported the post because you were upset that your reply which contained absolutely zero effort to conceal any form of OOC was removed.  That reported post stayed because the author put in obvious effort into trying to remove the the OOCness of the very topic being discuessed.  You were unwilling to accept that and kept pursuing it and escalating it until you found someone who was willing to give in.  But you ran out of managers to speak to. 

Being a member of this community for over a decade and a longstanding contribution for perk events and alike I had hoped there was a level of mutual respect to have a open dialogue. I'm really bummed to see this happen and slammed with a skewed perspective. 

It doesn't matter how many years you have played or how much you have spent, I stand by the call that your reply was too OOC to stay, and their reply had enough effort to stay.  You had an open dialog, didn't get that other post removed, asked for a manager, still didn't get that other post removed, rinse repeat.  We've run out of managers.  The streets is a horrible place to have a debate on topics that are not role play, but if people choose to have them there to get the rewards, we ask that they at least put in effort to remove the OOC, which they did, you did not. 

I never was upset or vengeful. I don't appreciate the accusations and wish you would post our entire conversation to show that. 

I personally like to avoid pasting conversations, but feel free to reach out to the other two help deskers you went through if its important to you. 

I only wanted to help the community, and indirectly yourself/business, so that more would be willing to post in streets without walking on egg shells about talking about the game and it's dynamics. 

I call that motivation into question considering how many seconds elapsed after my final response of "ok" to you after multiple attempts at informing us that you will no longer be posting anything of substance in the streets... and the creation of this thread.

I get it.  You are upset that your reply which contained zero effort to keep it from being OOC was removed, and another reply in the same thread which had effort put into it to prevent it from being OOC was not removed when you asked for it to be.  You targeted their reply as an example, but at the end of the day and it backfired, the whataboutism doesn't apply here.  I apologize that we do not share the view that your reply should stay.  I do think the thread as a whole would have been a better debate if it was held in the OOC.

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know why you continually bring up these rewards. I do not care about them and have zero influence in my posting. Furthermore, I never said I would stop posting anything of substance in the streets. I said would continue to RP as I have been being 100% IC with minimal “character perspective”.

no ones trying to game some nominal bonus system here. And again, I pursued it because I was hoping for clarification and even made a suggestion to help articulate the streets posting.

there was no personal vendetta or attempts to escalate. I only went to you be wise I thought I could get an answer but evidently you view that as my attempt at intimidation or toxic persistence. Once again I do not appreciate the slander.

To: Squishy
Sent: Jan 07, '22 02:11
Subject:

No one read or checks. I'll just stick with RPing my way how it was intended.

To: Bacon
Sent: Jan 07, '22 02:11
Subject:

Or take debates to the OOC where you guys have 1000000% freedom in how the conversation flows?  Its a more suitable place.

To: Squishy
Sent: Jan 07, '22 02:10
Subject:

Maybe remove 1930s Role Play Streets and just have 1930s Streets which is more representative of current environment since minimal RP and just character perspective. 

Report Post Tip

Not, did I ever ask for the reply to be put back. I could careless about it being deleted. My concerns had nothing to do with getting some minute post back for a few points. That’s absolutely childish behavior and having no bearing in my subsequent actions. Even now I’m posting at length in a thread with zero rewards. If my intent was as assumed then I’m wasting my energy apparently.

Report Post Tip

Furthermore, I never said I would stop posting anything of substance in the streets. I said would continue to RP as I have been being 100% IC with minimal “character perspective”.

Uhhh dude, below is your exact words :/

No worries, I'll just refrain from talking about anything of substance in streets moving forward and stick game based posting. 

Report Post Tip

Yes, that I would only RP and not do character perspective.

Report Post Tip

substance

noun

sub·​stance | \ ˈsəb-stən(t)s  \

Definition of substance

1a: essential nature : ESSENCE

b: a fundamental or characteristic part or quality

cChristian Science : GOD sense 1b

2a: ultimate reality that underlies all outward manifestations and change

b: practical importance : MEANINGUSEFULNESSthe … bill—which will be without substance in the sense that it will authorize nothing more than a set of ideas— Richard Reeves

Report Post Tip

Please close and lock thread and/or delete. The conversation is irreparably moot at this juncture.

Report Post Tip

How can my post be removed for OOC when someone is doing the exact same. I gave my opinion in the same manner at this post. I don't see the discrepancy. Id appreciate it if you could explain the disconnect here and how my post warranted removal comparatively.

All three people you spoke to clearly explained the disconnect.  All three have explained why your post warranted removal. You view your OOC post as street worthy, and are upset that one with effort put in was not taken down while yours was. 

A 4th 5th and 10th helpdesker will say the same thing.  There are no more managers to demand to talk to so you came here. 

Past present and future, I don't think you are able to see the difference because the one post is yours.  No amount of clarification will change your mind that your post should be removed.  Your goal here was not clarification but vindication.  

Report Post Tip

Understood, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Thank you for the insightful feedback and discussing the appropriate best practices for posting in the street.

have a great weekend! 

Report Post Tip

I agree the post should be removed. I have no issues. I wanted to understand why and these “managers” I assume are leaders as the name implies. Being leaders is about being of service to others.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: Roleplaying v Character Perspective
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL