Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 12:52:45
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Lets discuss the streets - How exciting! Started by: Maxine on Jan 24, '22 00:20

Trying my best, Pepsi-Cola! ;)

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip
For mobile players like myself, it is difficult to sensibly contribute to street discussions to the hight level of RP and detail required.

As much as I like to join in, it can be pretty daunting to reply to epic street posts.

Things would be a lot different if I was on a laptop and didn't have three kids jumping on me.
Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I agree with Stapled. It is quite hard to put effort in a quality post when mostly using the phone and I am on my phone 95% percent of my game time. I wish there was a better layout or format to make replying to posts easier. I reckon a big problem would be that a lot of people are playing the game on their phone and just like most social media formats now days people keep it very short when replying to things.

But I think what would help in improving the streets in quantity and quality is the standard set by the leaders and high ranks. You could look at some leaders now and see there are some who have either posted very little or not at all. I don't say this to criticise, but why would an individual post or even work on being a better RPer/Poster when their CL doesn't care for it either. If we were to turn to just high ranked people it seems like even more have zero's in their thread/post count. I recall when I first started playing one of the requirements to becoming a made man was to have at least one thread posted in the streets and several posts. We then had Sub-crew threads in our HQ forums where we could practice our RPing in a safer less daunting environment amongst our family before getting the courage and confidence to either post in the BD or the streets. Maybe if we bring back the value of posting to getting your promotion from your CL that will help. I am aware it may encourage some shit posts and lot of random shit but its a learning curve and the CLs and high ranks should help those that post incorrectly so they learn.

Report Post Tip

Maxine

I'll be real here - I've been playing since January 2015 and I haven't gotten too involved in streets roleplay, other than when I was under LG, once when I was in DT as Reason under Remus and I think once as one of the Honesty clones, so maybe my opinion won't be as valid as those who RP more and have played long enough to see the whole evolution of the streets.

I don't read much of anything on the streets because I have other things to read, like hundreds of pages of PDFs and documents for school, plus I'm writing a DnD campaign and I do other things to fill up my time. However, of what I've seen, I can propose a change that might help with the RP aspect, but it is, at least I think it is, a drastic change that will need an announcement if it is implemented.

Now, unless I'm autistic, which I am, I remembered reading in this thread someone saying that the streets are meant only to tell stories and not meant for discussions or something along those lines. Now, my ADHD is blaring out my ass right now and I can't seem to find it in this thread but I KNOW I read something like that. If there really wasn't, then I'll just say it's the little voice in my head that I named Bernard. Before I give my suggestion, I just want to say I wholeheartedly disagree with the above statement in this paragraph. The Streets should include stories, discussions, war threads, someone just posting a piece of paper on a building like a wife application (https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/1742380#272446010) pls someone become my wife.  Now let's get to my actual suggestion:

I think every thread in the streets should have a part in the beginning that is a scenario. Something that sets the stage. SOMETHING THAT GETS OUR LOINS FIRED UP. For example, when I write a thread, I put about a paragraph of writing in italics that introduces the rest of the thread. Now, for posts and replies, we have to keep in mind that some people want to write something that isn't as lengthy as the thread itself. To this, I suggest that throughout the reply, or in the beginning or end, but at least somewhere, there should be some writing that "reminds" people that it is roleplay (I can't think of a better term for some reason). Basically, something like going back in third or first person and writing your character's state of mind to transition two paragraphs of dialect or something like that, you know? To be clear, I think threads should be held to a higher standard and posts/replies should have a bit of a lower standard. If you check my wife application thread and look at the thread and my replies, you'll see what I mean. I put a paragraph of RP to set the tempo and the "vibe" of the thread. Then, I replied as if I was talking to the others, but I stringed it along with some sprinkles of italics that related to my characters emotional state. Also, fuck emojis. Stop posting that shit in the streets. You can literally just write a sentence that describes the emoji.

Lincoln_Lawyer

Just want to mention one thing about the TL;DR thing because I did do that in my "Competent Leadership" thread and I think you might have been referring to my thread when you wrote that. I understand that the streets are supposed to be 100% RP, but as time goes on, and there are a multitude of studies on this, people's attention span diminishes. This is caused by a variety of factors, but mostly because of social media and some other platforms like TikTok. Nowadays, many people have trouble reading lengthy posts and many people give up halfway through. In my case, I thought my thread was very long. In fact, I wanted to make it longer, but I condensed many parts of that thread. Now, I did put a TL;DR part in it and I agree that it wasn't RP at all, but I did so just to add a sprinkle of humour in an otherwise lengthy thread that was meant for a general audience and not a set of particular people that enjoy RPing and reading. I do want to mention one thing though: In a RP thread that has the author posting a sheet of paper somewhere or something similar, I don't see a problem with writing TL;DR if the thread is long. The reason I say this is because it makes logical sense that the character can write on that piece of paper TL;DR and it remains in character.

Report Post Tip

Also, Maxine, and this is something that only Izzy can really do, but it's something that irks me about any writing in MR and a big reason why it drives me away from writing more: I hate this white on gray bullshit letters that have a tiny font size with little letter spacing between two lines. Yes, I know you can "change" the font size, but the bigger fonts are too fucking huge. Now, I don't have dyslexia in any form, but long threads and posts hurt my eyeballs because of the tiny, white on grey bullshit with the little letter spacing between two lines and sometimes it makes me have trouble reading.

I don't think this will ever change and it's not something you can change and it's 90% irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I wanted to vent about this.

Report Post Tip

I also dislike the WYSIWYG editor.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Lets discuss the streets - How exciting!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL