Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 04:59:20
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Profile Pic Input Needed Started by: Squishy on Feb 01, '22 22:48

Ignoring how we do things now, ignoring our current profile page, ignoring the art we already have.....

In an ideal world, what ratio should profile pics be?  

Our current are profile pics are 1:1.25 (Width:Height) (Examples in pixel form: 200x250, 300x375, 100x125 and so on)

Perfectly square? (1:1)

More portrait? (1:5, 1:35 and so on)

More landscape? (1.25:1, 1.5:1 and so on)

So users, please let me know whats an ideal profile pic ratio should be?

(Also ignore the pixels, you will be able to upload large things and it will resize them for use in the all the multiple places where it may be displayed at different sizes, but all maintaining the same ratio)

Report Post Tips: 5 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Tbh, I don't know what the golden ratio should be, but I like portrait mode because of the way that the information of rank, level, messages sent, etc. is layed out. Square might work, but could be a little weird to look at. Landscape mode should be banished here.

Report Post Tip

I wouldn't mind a bit taller and wider though. I guess 1.25:1.5 can be something.

Report Post Tip

Tbh, I don't know what the golden ratio should be, but I like portrait mode because of the way that the information of rank, level, messages sent, etc. is layed out.

The new profile page is going to be sort of designed around the profile pic, sooooo ignore the profile page for now, lets focus on just the image itself :) 

Report Post Tip

Probably more portrait oriented if the new layout will focus directly around the image itself. Landscapes could probably stay for sponsor/crew tagline images, unless the background also remains a factor. Biggest thing for me is just making them larger in general than the simple 200x250 current layout, so I'm up for any new changes as long as it ends up larger or more profound.

Report Post Tip

I am thinking portrait. Def not square

Report Post Tip

While I'm not sure what the sweet spot ratio would be, I'm personally leaning towards either square or a portrait orientation that's close to a square. I also have to add that more wiggle room for the Crew and Sponsor Crests would also be nice. The sponsor crests need it especially since the dimensions of one are closer to a loading bar more than anything

Report Post Tip

I think something like 3:2 aspect ration would be perfect, it still has the "standing rectangle" shape. This is the most popular dimension that photographers are taking, as it allows bit more space to crop and resize. Obviously I am not mentioning pixels as 3:2 can go from very small to really big, but my money is on 3:2 portrait.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Some people are so creative with them, I  like the  ratios we currently have. 

Report Post Tip

portrait

Report Post Tip

I'm fine with what we have

Report Post Tip

I'd say more portrait, something between like 1:1.35 and 1:1.5 sounds cool

Report Post Tip

The answer would change depending on the maximum dimensions of the profile picture and the location of it. 

I would prefer 250x250, for example, over 200x250. Dead space can always be covered with transparent background for PNGs, and animations/colors in gifs/webms/mp4s. 

If however for it to be a square the dimensions will be lowered to 200x200, than I would keep it as it is. 

Report Post Tip

Mike

This is just hypothetical as of now, but the page will probably have 5 different size categories, each of which can get larger or smaller depending on screen real-estate available.

icon, small, medium, large, and hero

You would upload 1 single image/animation, in as high resolution as you can (to future proof it), and the server would then render all 5 main category sizes, as well as probably 3 sizes up and down in each category that it would choose from.  It would give you the appropriate image depending on your view port size, cache availability, connection type/speed and browser rendering speed (Basically using logic to determine what spits to your screen the fastest, using a cached copy resized by browser, grabbing a fresh smaller copy, or just blasting you with all on a prefetch, whatever)

On a desktop, the hero size would probably be a MUCH larger image than we are used to now (the page is being designed around it afterall)

So hero = single users profile page (big fucker)

large = page where it shows multiple summary profiles (probably similar to what we have now in size)

medium = page where it shows multiple people

small = used for stacking when using groups

icons = basically friendly place to click on appropriate pages that are driven by user selection

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

For a profile pic, what we have now is good or maybe even more portrait, kinda like those wallet-sized pictures we used to get for school are the same ratio.  With a square, you get don't get enough room to play with if you're one of those fancy people that know how to use Photoshop.  As for landscape, that's more for scenery type pictures or a group picture.

Report Post Tip
We could surely try one for now, maybe make a poll and give 100-250k for a small survey of what different sizes would look like and which one we like more. Saying these 1.25-1 or whatever it says up there doesnt really mean anything (I dont understand) But if we had real examples of "Sample profiles" to vote on it would be a lot better. Does that make sense?
Report Post Tip
I actually think the sizing for suits and family crests work quite well together. Its enough space to get an image of good quality done, without making it appear too large and amateurish.

With that said though, I would love to see sponsor crests get a bit more attention. The allowed dimensions on them are so small that it makes them near impossible to have any good content within them. I also feel they are massively under-used tbh

With some spotlight on sponsor crests, it might encourage people to actively try and seek opportunities for the role a little more. Im an avid fan of sub-crews and the massive potential those always had so just my thoughts.
Report Post Tip

Personally, I like how it is now. But if we were able to see some examples of what you are considering, that may prove fruitful. 

Report Post Tip

Mike

This is just hypothetical as of now, but the page will probably have 5 different size categories, each of which can get larger or smaller depending on screen real-estate available.

[...]

If the dimensions are going to be 'decent', at least on desktop, my vote would be for 1:1. 

But Mike, why? 

If you are using a static picture for your suit, you go for PNG. And if you are going for PNG, you can do transparent background. That means if you want to feel old-school in the new 'profile' - you can still go for 1:1.25 (i.e. 200x250). Alternatively, you can use the whole space if you want your suit to look 1:1. 

If you decided to go for an animated suit (and I pray to Cthulhu for mp4 support (for a significantly better quality in animated suits) when it comes to that) - you will have more space to play with if the profile goes with 1:1. Further, you can go for 'fake' transparency even with a 1:1 dimension via using the profile page background color to make your suit seem 1:1.25.

Bigger is better, and 1:1 would offer that. 

For size comparisons: 

https://i.imgur.com/HsHBwLp.png

1:1 all the way. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
1 by 1 buy 5 the longer is more professional looking
Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: Profile Pic Input Needed
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL