Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 06:45:04
Page:  1 
A Diamond in the Rough Started by: Sterling_Cross on Aug 15, '11 11:05

The City seems to errupt to life around me, this was going to be a long night. Several well armed men were making the rounds, checking parked cars and alleyways and buildings for any signs of things out of place. War had indeed come to the Windy City, and tension and fear combined to give the City and energy and lifeforce all her own. Times like these had come before and the key to making it out alive was keeping a low profile and minding your own affairs.

My mind was going in hundreds of directions at once as I walked up the cracked cement steps of the faded brick building. I noticed a few tell tale marks from stray bullets,and  I wondered how many wars she had seen. I assured Myself that she had another one in her, as I reached for the tarnished brass handle. The door stuck for a moment, but gave way and allowed a clear view of the debris and newspapers that vagrants had left after sleeping the night away. I remembered to include this in my negotations with the landlord, but that business would have to wait. I needed a few supplies to keep me going until the current crisis had passed, and that is where I turned my attentions first. 

I walked slowly down the row of apartments and listened for the presence of people, it was at the third door before I found one that sounded empty. I knew I was taking a chance since it was already rather late, but I picked the lock and pulled out my piece. Slowly I pushed the door open and breathed a sigh when the hinges didn't announce to the world that someone was using the door.  A quick glance showed that this unit was occupied, but there was no lighting to speak of, so I was only able to make out the rough outline of objects in the room. The big square tv sitting in the floor was the real evidence of habitation as I crept into the silent dark of the doorway. I closed the door behind me, noting that it wasn't self locking. Having been in a similar apartment earlier in the day, I had a rough idea of the layout, and made straight to the bedroom door. It was slightly ajar, and I offered a quick thanks when the bed showed no lumps under the covers. I did a hasty search of the rest of the small apartment and felt safe in the assumption that I was alone.

I quickly went to the kitchen area and turned on the overhead lighting, knowing that it would be muted by the design of the place. I quickly located a garbage bag and filled it with can goods and meats from the freezer. I took a fresh loaf of bread that was still wrapped along with enough dishes for two place settings. Finally I placed fifty dollars on the top rack of the ice box and hastily retraced my steps to the door. I took a quick look around before stepping into the foyer and quietly heading back to the abandoned apartment I had used earlier. Within a few moments I had gained entry into my new apartment, locking the door behind me. I put the food away and sat down to plot my next move.

I am not sure at what point I drifted asleep, but I will never forget the moment I woke up to the door pounding...

Report Post Tip

Heavy blows rained down on the solid door that led to the apartment, threatening to wake the entire building in the process. It was dark in the little apartment, only the glow of street lights allowed for any details of the room. The normal sounds of the City were absent, which was never a good thing.

I was already at full draw when I reached the door and unlocked it. As I began to open it, I was pushed aside by the force of two men pressing it completely open. Once inside, they quickly shut it again before noticing I had the drop on them both. I reached over and flipped on a light.  "Easy with that beanshooter Mack," the first guy offered, "before you blow your wig, let us explain how things are." I noted that the second man was making sure his hands stayed in plain sight, so I nodded for the first to continue. "The three of us were suppose to have met with you at Mel's tonight, but other business came up before we could make the meet." I lowered my pistol slightly, but still kept a close eye on the actions of both guys. "I assume the other business, and the missing third relates to the events outside of Mel's?" Both men nodded slowly, and I remembered back to a similar night in my childhood.

I noticed both men breathing a bit easier as the pistol found it's way back into it's holster, " Good way to get filled full of sunlight, knocking down a door like that." "What has both of you so spooked anyways?" The second man glanced at the first before responding with the all too standard, "just some family business, nothing that you should concern yourself with." "We are just here to conduct the interview and then we will be taking our leave."

As the three of us sat down, I could tell from the facial expressions of both men that this was going to be a short and sweet type of deal. Either I was going to be given my break, or I was going to be fitted for a Chicago Overcoat. "Basically we have certain concerns about your new business adventures in Town, and we are here to do an audit and make sure that your business practices are sound," offered the first gentleman. "Yes, and we would also like to promote any new business that is thinking of relocation to the area, if they are sound and solid investments," chimed in the second guy. "So, when your ready, feel free to start the interview process Mister Cross."

I got up and walked over to my overcoat and removed a black and silver ledger book, along with a standard white envelop. I handed both items to the gentlemen and returned to my seat. Pulling a cigarette from the case on the table, as I watched the two studied my entries into the ledger. I gave the cigarette a few quick taps on the case, and prepared to light it. By the time the third puff left my lips, they were both sitting back and watching me intently. "Everything seems to be in order Sir, with the exception of your business dues." "Your estimation is way too generous, given the details of your business to date. We can only assume that it's some type of error in running your business, or it's meant as a symbolic protest to how business is conducted in general."

I finished the last of the cigarette and took a moment to meet the gaze of both men before offering simply, " I came into a bit of inheritance recently, and I simply hadn't the time to update my records, but I still wanted to make sure the accounting was right."  With a nod of satisfaction I was handed back the ledger as both men rose to leave, " We will keep a close eye on your business Mister Cross, and it is always encouraging when a new business minded man such as yourself appears."  And with that, both men rose and walked out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts once again.

Report Post Tip

I never saw it coming, no sound announced the blackness. There was just a sting, then black....

"You had a lot of promise kid, but the sins of the Father and all that......

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Diamond in the Rough
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL