Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 06:18:56
Page:  1 
Heightened Scrutiny Started by: Andrew_Paxton on Aug 16, '11 21:34

Drew frisked the guy, took his gun, a knife and some brass knuckles, and dropped them in a large bin next to the door. 

Okay, you’ve passed the first step.  Next step….

He pulled the guy’s wallet, checked his ID and offered him a blank card and some black ink. 

I need every finger inked and printed on this card.  Do it now.

A stern glance reminded the young man that Drew wasn’t kidding. 

That’s right.  We’re fingerprinting you.  We have to.  Sorry kid.  But if you want to join, we have to do this.  Too many AssHoles out there trying to screw us.   You don’t like it?  Too bad.  Go to some other family then. 

The young man replied: “Why are so many people trying to screw you these days?”

I don’t know kid.  Jealously maybe.  An ancestor wronged.  Beats me.  But we’ve  had more than our fair share of idiots come through this city.  We’ve asked questions, watched ‘em, mentored ‘em and provided a good home.  But for some reason, they don’t care.  They get in with the wrong crowd and don’t even realize their strings are being pulled.  Sheep.  That’s all they are.  Can’t think for themselves.  Really too bad son.  They had it good here.  And threw it all away.   

The young man continued: “Ever think about promoting wise guys quicker?  Keep ‘em happy?”

Absolutely not.  I’m not going to go into it out here in the open, but we ask a lot of our associates.  We expect them to work hard and prove themselves.  Maybe it takes them a little longer to rank here than it would in some places.  Maybe not as long as it would in others.  So, they’re not going to be “made” in “minimum time,” so what!  If they prove themselves worthy, they’ll be rewarded.   

“What if they don’t want to wait?” 

Wait a cotton picking second, kid!  Who do these wise guys think they are?  Who gave them the power to decide when they get promoted?  That’s not how we run a business.  We don’t suck the balls of those who work for us.  We run a business.  And we make the demands.  And we can’t change just because some fuckers have screwed us in the past.  So instead, we’ll remain vigilant.  Check people out the best we can, and do what we always do: teach young gangsters how to use their wits and their mouths, how to be respectful, and earn a living for themselves and the family.  We’ll offer them protection and a place to live, and in Sin City of all places.

Alright kid.  You’re okay.  You’ve made it through the door.  Now, work hard, make sure you follow our simple rules, and have some fun.  That’s all we ask. 

Drew opened the door for the kid, waved him in, and waited for the next young civilian to arrive.

So, now it’s come to this.  These are the times we live in.  Very interesting times, wouldn’t you say?  Very difficult times, and a very difficult climate to maneuver.  It’s quite challenging, and I really don’t know how we can fix some of the problems that we face these days.

There are a lot of bitter children out there.  That is a fact.  And many of those children have made a decision that they are more important than anybody else in this world.  Others are just so distraught that they live their entire lives to screw somebody, anybody, just to prove that they have more influence on this world than they actually do.  And when these plans don’t work, they die.  And their children do it all over again.  Perhaps in a different city.  Perhaps in the same.  They change their names, their appearance, everything about themselves except the fact that they are bitter and arrogant.

What a way to live life!  Are we so averse to hard work that we try to plan and plot.  Plot and plan.  Do anything but work hard.  We cannot wait a month, or a year for gratification; to realize our dreams.  We have to have it now.  And if you’re not going to give it to me, well then I’m going to take it, and screw you in the process!  I’m going to lie, cheat, steal, and fuck you over to get what I want. 

That is the thinking in this world.  Certainly not everybody’s thinking…but in far too many people, that’s the thinking. 

So, in this world where “recruiting”  has become a race, maybe it’s time to step back and take a minute.  It is that time for us. 

Certainly with some exceptions (people who are new to this life and still learning how to properly seek associates) I’ve been happy with our sponsors and the way they go about their business.  But all that has to change because of the idiots and undergrounds that run amuck.  So, we’ll take it slow, we’ll work a little harder and we’ll catch who we can catch.  We’ll bypass those who are suspicious, and we’ll hunt for those whose only job it is to screw us. 

Will we find everybody?  Absolutely not.  But it’s our responsibility to try.  It’s every city’s and every leader’s responsibility to try. 

Report Post Tip

Alexandra watches fondly and listens attentively as Andrew recalls the story, and gives his speech.

"Too true. It's easy to understand why the offspring of an executed member would feel that ovewhelming sense of revenge, but it's a shame that revenge usually takes them down the same road as their ancestors. As a member of JimmyNapoli's family, and someone who took a very long time in reaching the status of made, I can attest that it does (and should) take effort to become a trusted member of the inner circle. But instead of reflecting upon their parent's mistakes, putting for the effort and demonstrating service to their organization, they become hell bent on causing problems, demanding action, and drawing their line in the sand-sand which belongs to people in a much higher paygrade."

"It's not hard to succeed here, bit it isn't an easy coast either. An attitude of entitlement won't get you anywhere. You earn your bones and you make your way. If it's all given to you, what kind of legacy are you really leaving for your children?"

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Heightened Scrutiny
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL