Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 22:04:55
Page:  1 
Ghost Town Started by: Agent86 on Apr 09, '08 14:11
The streets are eerily quiet as a lone figure approaches the heart of the district

An old newspaper dated February floats along in the breeze but nothing else stirs

As if speaking to the streets themselves the figure begins to talk

I remember the old days the days when these streets bustled with activity, the days when it meant something to have your exploits known, the days when healthy debate was commonplace.

Where have those days gone?

I feel old conjuring up memories from days gone by, but what is there anymore in this world other than remembering old times?

There simply are just no new times of which to speak.

Perhaps conversation has merely shifted mediums and the more appropriate methods of interaction occur behind closed doors in coffee shops, and certainly this has been the case in the past, and the streets have been quiet in the past too, but it just saddens me to see such an utter lack of enthusiasm for the life we have all chosen to lead.

Having said his peace the man turns idly around and recedes back to his quiet solitude allowing the streets to remain in theirs
Report Post Tip
Yes i agree, your speech was perfect in every way.
Report Post Tip
This is a much discussed subject and i'm very surprised that someone hasnt come in here to shoot you down, like they once did with my father when he spoke his mind about it. Good on you and i agree. They are even worse now than they were when my father was around.
Report Post Tip
I think the fact that we have very few public speakers, including myself, is probably down to a few reasons: the lack of people we have choosing this life of ours (so we have less numbers for good speech starters to emerge from), the fact that unless public speakers have their speeches/grammar etc perfect then some smartass will take a pop at them and the fact that those in positions of power are relatively quiet in public (and so others follow that example). I seem to recall that Cathy_Parks (and others) made a concerted effort to improve the activity on our streets and, for a while, it was much better. I'm not sure that the current bosses care that much about the Streets.

Nowadays, wars such as the Good Friday massacre and bosses falling pass without comment on the streets. A sad state of affairs indeed.
Report Post Tip
The Good Friday Massacre certainly did not pass without comment on the streets, just fyi.
Report Post Tip
It did until after the event. Over 12 hours of war and hardly a peep on the streets during it.
Report Post Tip
Alfi Hears the speech being given and decides to share his opinion on the subject

Well its a funny thing these streets. I always here everyone talking about how the streets are quiet and noone ever has anything to say around here. Well Like alot have said already but I feel this is a major reason, It has alot to do with people bashing each other in the street. If you have a nice well thought out thread, all it takes is one person to bash it and no one wants to reply after that because they to dont want to feel embarrased or get bashed themselves.

I mean think about it. If you are new to this world your CL and a handfull of others always tell you to be respectful in the streets and if you have nothing nice to say than keep your mouth shut. Now the new guy takes this info and heads to the street to find a topic to talk about, only to open one and see his CL calling someone "Assclown or Fucktard". Now how is that noob suppose to react to that? He goes and does the same thing, and it just keeps growing.

Now I know alot of people are holding off on their good topics because of th new version coming out fine :) but what we need here isnt a million dollar topic but something that everyone can talk about without bashing each other.

I guess we'll have to wait till the next version :)
Report Post Tip
Denouement, we were unfortunately a little busy during the war, what with staying alive and all that.
Report Post Tip
I agree with Deviant, Its a little hard to write a nice thread up during a war when your trying to stay alive. But I do remember a couple threads about the war afterwards. The way it usually happens.
Report Post Tip
Deviant, my ancestor was in the war so I know exactly what it was like for the entire 15 hours or thereabouts.

You've misunderstood the point I was making - I wasn't criticising the CLs. I maintain that part of the reason (albeit a small part) for the silence is that most current day CLs are relatively inactive on the streets and the masses follow their example. And by 'current day', I don't only mean those in power right now. No criticism there though - unless you think a CL should be highly visible. I don't.

There was a time that a boss falling or an ongoing war would have the general population rushing to the streets to comment, speculate and shoot the breeze on what was going on. Nowadays, that doesn't happen.
Report Post Tip
Because you never have all the facts of the war untill after it has happened. If you run to the streets and start commenting about the war it probabaly wont get answered until after the war anyway so you might aswell just wait.

I see what you mean though but its just easier to adress all opinions and facts after it is done.
Report Post Tip
The problem is not lack of numbers, lack of subjects or lack of things happening.

The problem is the people here are too lazy. Simple as that.

Very few make the effort anymore...
Report Post Tip
Who are you talking about exactly Denouement?

May as well name and shame and what exactly are your expectaions of leader street presence?

Technically leaders don't have to give a shit about what you think on the subject but for the record it would be interesting.
Report Post Tip
I seem to be causing offence but I'm not sure people are actually listening to my speeches before making assumptions on what I am saying.

Just to reiterate again, I'm not actually criticising anyone in particular - I'm talking about the CLs/RHMs as a group. The masses look to their leaders for cues on how to behave. If leaders aren't active in the streets, it's likely that a lot of the population won't.

Again, for the record, I'm not saying that it is the CL/RHMs job to stimulate the streets or actually give a monkey's uncle about the quality of speeches/discussions. I just think that it's one of the reasons (only one of the numerous, mind) why the streets are sometimes like a 'Ghost Town', to quote the original speaker.

As to the question, Your Fromageness, I'd be incredibly stoopid if I started criticising or giving my opinions about the actions of individual CLs in public. I have never said they needed to give a shit about my opinion either but that's a two-way street.
Report Post Tip
Eight separate discussions were began yesterday, on a day where no major deaths occurred or wars broke out.

Whilst it is nice to see my good friend Cathy_Parks being credited, given that dear old dad was her RHM, I feel confident enough to know that to suggest the streets were much better in her time is a falsehood. The world was plagued by a horrible Badass stagnancy.

At the moment, people are allowed to say pretty much whatever they like. They can even, it seems, be blatantly disrespectful when the heat is up. I'm not sure I remember a time when this much tolerance was afforded in the streets.
Report Post Tip
Yup, the last few days have been better. It seems to go in cycles though as there was a spell about a week ago with few new speeches.
Report Post Tip
I didn't take offence at all, just wondering as I seem to start loads of street discussions so felt I would absolve myself from such criticism as I'm a lovely person.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Ghost Town
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL