Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:34:03
Page:  1 
The Importance of Being Earnest Started by: AlexKeene on Aug 26, '11 19:06

Alexandra exited the coffee shop with a steaming mug of her favorite blend, brewed at extra strength, and tempered with one cream and one sugar. She loved the aroma of fresh brew, and she carried her favorite coffee mug with her wherever she went - the one that said "World's Best Right Hand," only with the words 'World's Best' scribbled out and 'Adequately Competent' handwritten in the script of Andrew Paxton. She enjoyed the coffee greatly, and quite often the conversation, but a couple of private talks she'd had recently left her mulling over a lot of things. She leaned against a lamp post outside the largest coffeeshop and began talking to those entering and exiting.

"When we talk to our sponsors, to our family heads, and to the people our leaders appoint to work in their stead, there's a certain decorum attached, a formality dictated by tradition that most people follow religiously, and regret sincerely when they don't. Be it with a letter sent in the mail, or a face to face encounter on the street, there is an expectation of respect and in some cases reverence for a position that we all adhere to. It gives our society a hierarchy and a sense of order in a chaotic and many times, lawless, world. Our criminal existence has survived this long ONLY because of that order, or else we'd slip into the throes of anarchy."

"The coffeeshops are a different animal entirely. I find myself frequenting many different establishments and enjoying the company of family, friends, and colleagues. For the most part we deny this existence. We don't speak of our underhanded dirty work, though many of us have hopped in for a spot of tea after cleaning our guns, or opted for a cup o' joe with the cash earned by a flawless lift. Most of our conversations have nothing to do with this life of ours, and often times the way we interact reflects that. We put down all ranks, all titles, all positions, and take a break from the harried life we lead."

"But some of our meetings in the coffeeshops aren't so separated. What brings me to talk about this, is recently I had two individuals approach me privately while I enjoyed my morning cup. Their intent was clearly on the business side of conversations, asking intimate questions about the day to day, and requiring assistance. I, in no way, am the power hungry type, nor do I consider myself to be a social tyrant demanding reverence when people approach me, but I found myself thinking that, even in the coffeeshops, if we're there about this thing of ours, talking about this thing of ours, and acting upon this thing of ours, should we not carry ourselves in accordance to the respect dictated by our society? I was struck by the cavalier nature with which this pair conducted themselves, given the topic of conversation, the stark difference in our ranks and title."

"I'll confess and tell you that I spoke to the two about how I felt. Approach me in the street, the business district, or in the headquarters (if you happen to be in my family - as these two weren't), and there is an expectation of respect. Approach me in the coffeeshops with the intent of discussing business, and why wouldn't those same expectations apply?"

" "But these are the coffeeshops?" came the reply. Why not send me a letter in the mail, since your inquiries were strictly of a business nature? "This was easier." I was told. Easier. Is it the standing opinion that the ease of coffeeshop conversation, when it applies to business, is easy due to the dropping of all pretense?"

"I realize that the coffeeshops have always been a grey area when it comes to a matter like this, but since recent events brought this light, I'm curious as to how others feel on the matter."

Alexandra takes a sip, slightly burning her tongue as she does so.

Report Post Tip

Its interesting you should bring up the topic. Personally, I feel its up to the people in the coffee shops whether or not to conduct themselves in a business manor: even when on a business related subject.

By this, I mean it is completely up to THEM. However, given the fact their attitude was questioned, common courtesy could have been for them to change it. Could it reach a point that business related attitudes kept in the coffee shop could reflect what goes on outside the coffee shops? That could create problems especially for those Crew Leaders who like to keep business business and a friendly coffee with an associate exactly that.

This is just what I think, but like you mentioned, it is a gray area.

Report Post Tip

MikeHunt overhears the wise words of Miss AlexKeene... He decides to share his own opinion.

The topic you bring up is always up in the air. It's always being tossed back and forth like a father and son playing catch in their backyard. As you personally have brought a situation to this conversation, my view is simple. Theres a place and time for everything. The coffeeshops aren't necessarily the place where I like to conduct business, but others tend to conduct it there. Which makes me have to. Why you ask? Probably because it's a lot easier to. The response time difference, the instant approach, seems much easier to other people. I just don't do it due to the fact that I personally don't think it's business like. Business is the last and only good thing we have in this world.

Report Post Tip

"And trust me, I do understand the the efficiency of coffeeshops for certain business dealings, Mr. Hunt."

She pauses and looks down at the swirling cream ribbons in her coffee.

"But tell me, when you're put in situations where you must conduct business there, do you change the way you conduct yourself or change your expectations of others when the topics are no longer the frivolous banter many of us go there to enjoy?"

Report Post Tip

I'd have to say both. I change the way I conduct myself, and my expectations of others. 

You really can't do one without the really I feel. Its as if a switch is flipped from the off postion to the on position. I believe the saying "Its go time baby", fits this pretty well.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Importance of Being Earnest
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL