Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 05:42:42
Page:  1 
Has anyone taught in a classroom? Started by: RaymondPatriarca on Aug 03, '22 02:48
I'm teaching a Wildland firefighter class for the week and I was hoping to find some pointers from anyone who has taught in a classroom.

They are adults.
They are completely fresh.

I have required they take notes as I go through the courses. I completed one course today and some of them didn't seem to retain anything we went over through a slideshow and open discussion process. I don't think it's my teaching abilities as I've taught lots of new guys in the field what our job is and how to do it etc. So if you've worked in a classroom and have pointers on ensuring my students are learning I would appreciate it.
Report Post Tip

This is interesting and a very difficult question to answer

I've given guest lectures on leadership, management and data protection and discovered similar things to you.

Ergonomics is tricky as we all learn in different ways.  Some prefer learning by doing, others require interaction and plenty like the nose in the book style.

The finest lecturers I met used a combination of all of those techniques but backed it up with one to ones as not everyone is comfortable in a classroom environment.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
That is some great insight into teaching! We are currently provided with textbooks(through a website) that follows through the course which they have access to. I am also playing a slideshow for each section of that course, verbalizing what I have on the instructor side whilst providing in depth knowledge of the subject along with experiences. It just seems like some of the students aren't all 'there' and it concerns me due to the nature of the job. Luckily we have a meat grinder process in which we see who will last or who won't about five days in on an assignment. But still, I want them to learn terminologies and understand why we do what we do. So I will take your advice on doing a one on one as well at the end of the day to see their retention on the subjects we covered. Cheers Cad!
Report Post Tip
Never taught in a classroom. Probably one of the hardest Jobs in my country, badly payd,placed far from your hometown, Kids are more dumb, agressive and you still have parents to deal with... fuck that.
Report Post Tip

I have never taught in a classroom. Have taught or trained people on a one on one basis at work.  I give teachers a whole lot of credit. They must have nerves of steel and have a great ability to blow off or ignore a lot of BS that comes from some of these kids these days.  I imagine it is very rewarding for them though when they know they got thru to someone and actually know they learned from them.  

Report Post Tip
I've given a couple of lectures for university students and also taught and graded new conscripts in the army. I got a lot of free snacks in the army.
Report Post Tip

Ask the students questions to check on their learning and build their confidence with the subject. Personally have done a few classes in my line of work not really pertaining to legitimate classroom studies. Most of my experience teaching was for the military, so it’s probably not any experience at all haha. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Has anyone taught in a classroom?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL