Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 22:36:45
Game Suggestions
2 Watchers
Page:  1 
Remove 'Insanely High' as an activity metric Started by: Hobbs on Sep 11, '22 10:53

What an awful subject title, I really didn't know what else to call it.

The crux of the matter is when I was putting in 70-80 hours a week into the game I didn't like that everyone knew I was putting in 70-80 hours per week. I felt shamed for playing a game I was enjoying. Insanely High Activity I find to be an odd phrase to use to begin with. It has genuinely put me off wanting to put an Upper again.

Note the definition of Insane:

In a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behaviour, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill

informal:

shocking; outrageous.

That is all negative language.

On the low end of the scale I can see why it's beneficial for people to see if a family they are joining is low on activity levels, but on the upper end I'd prefer it if the rankings were something like this which leaves High as the highest possible level of activity.

0-10 Extremely Low

0-19 Low

20-39 Medium

40+ High

40 hours a week is already a huge time investment into the game. For context that's more than the average working week for the UK (37.5 hours). That should be enough for people without having to go up in more detail for hours played above that level.

Report Post Tips: 10 / Total: $200,000 Tip
But insanely means just that..over the normal crazy amount of 40+..But you're stating you would rather ppl not see you're addicted?
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

That is all negative language.

You are narrowing the scope and are assigning it just negative language, ignoring all the positive.

Do you feel the same about the BG levels? Is an IWP Don mentally ill? 

I felt using the tier system like we do with wealth and bg status a helpful way to project the playing style of the crew you are about to join.

When I see an upper putting time into their family and their characters, I know from that metric that they are probably a better fit for me as a member as opposed to someone whose hours show no interest investing any time into their family or character, affirming that this family most likely severely lacks any upward mobility because hard work shows very little impact on positions of status. 

40 hours a week is already a huge time investment into the game. For context that's more than the average working week for the UK (37.5 hours). That should be enough for people without having to go up in more detail for hours played above that level.

On a side note, the tiers are not statically tied to hours, its a floating self adjusting thing based upon the other uppers.  It finds the average of the uppers, then builds 4 equal tiers above it and 4 equal tiers below it.  Right now the average upper time is 21.9 hours,  that average hours is what defines the tiers.  We do not declare what the average is or what it should be, we base it on your peers that are also uppers.  The below image may help demonstrate that a little bit more.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

I quite like the "Insane" as a metric because as my life long mentor and best friend growing up, Einstine said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” 

And what applies to that quote more than any new character you make on this game, right? right. But also left. As in I think I left my oven on and must go.  

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Interesting concept.  I'll agree, but I'll take it a step further and say that upper activity shouldn't be posted at all.  I think that some responsibility should be placed upon the general userbase to determine the activity of the uppers by actually being active/engaging themselves.  In general, I feel like the option is used to shame people who aren't maybe active by people who don't have to have their activity level posted or questioned at all.  I think it should be a 2 way street.

Report Post Tip

Slightly unrelated but could I ask what the time limits are for setting the status for lounge activity for lounge please? I was showing as Totally Inactive - I had been on into the evening and then went to bed and logged on this morning and I showed as Totally Inactive.

Just seems a bit harsh that if an upper goes to sleep it shows that status? For those looking to select a crew etc and look at the stats could be a put off?

Report Post Tip

Poppy, it shows the time it has next to the tier, for example, right now you are showing as " Now (Last Seen: 38 minutes ago) "

The tiers are as follows:

Now < 1 hour

Very Recent < 6 Hours

Recent < 12 Hours

Somewhat Recent < 24 Hours

Not Very Recent < 48 Hours

Not Recent < 72 Hours

Inactive < 96 Hours

Obscenely Inactive < 120 Hours

Insanely Active < 140 Hours

Totally Inactive > 140 Hours

If yours said Totally Inactive but you had been active within the last 140 hours, then I assume you looked at it during our server migration/software upgrades which have been happening during the last 24h.

Report Post Tip

Hi Squishy thanks for this detail - yep I saw the last seen info it was more the catagories for inactive which you have kindly detailed thank you.

It did indeed show Totally inactive after a 6.5 hour sleep! I'll take a look again in the morning my time after that forbidden sleep thing again hopefully not quite such a dramatic result! Appreciate the info :)

Report Post Tip

I meant to update and forgot - it was exactly as you said Squishy. The following day after the forbidden sleep thing it showed the last time on correctly. I just checked during that 24 hour period of migration. 

Report Post Tip

Just on the original post - I get there eventually lol. I do think this carries some merit to an extent (nothing like sitting on the fence hey?)

I had a family event recently for the day and the following, RL first right folks? I think the terminology around activity might be erm harsh maybe? I do think the Uppers hours in the last day / week etc should be shown, most people want to join an active engaging family for sure, maybe the catogory names are a bit harsh though and could be dropped? Or modified to high average low?

Not being woke just maybe have the facts shown in hours rather than that and an interpretation of what that means? 

Report Post Tip

I do agree. 

I also do strongly support removing the murder aspect of the game as it is not only negative language but also has strong negative connotations. Further it might be wise to remove a vast portion of the felony crimes as running a prostitutions ring, blackmailing the mayor (which I just guess is done with thanks to prostitution as well), and kidnapping both have negative languages and strong real life negative connotations. Petty Crimes should be okay, though I don't really support extortion per se. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Are you being sarcastic Patrick? Because if you're not... lol

What...

Is this an actual post? 

Just in case this suggestion isn't an April Fool's joke done way too early/late, let me reiterate the definition you pulled: 

In a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behaviour, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill

informal:

shocking; outrageous.

Did you miss those last two words? Shocking and outrageous isn't always negative. "That guy is outrageously funny", "she is shockingly beautiful" are just the first two examples of positive connotations to the use of those words. Guess what? Replace them with "insanely" and the sentences are still in a positive connotation. 

You just copy-pasted a definition, decided to only focus on the first 2 lines and ignore the other 3 words/interpretations, or you grossly misunderstood them. 

On a side note, I really hope this isn't a serious topic of conversation. I understand we live in a new-ish era of being offended and showing outrage for the smallest of things, but this is ridiculous. I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee you that no one sees someone with an "insanely high" play time and thinks to themselves : "THAT'S IT. LET ME CALL A MENTAL ASYLUM BECAUSE THIS GUY'S GOING TO SHOOT SOME TODDLERS. GARY!!!!!! GET ME MY PHONE, THIS DUDE IS FUCKING INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE. Jeffrey Dahmer who? Ted Bundy what? Charles Manson when? Edmund Kemper where? Nah, Gary, this guy is clearly more insane and mentally unstable than them considering he moves his mouse/taps on his screen a bit every day"

Also, why cherry pick that particular status for the time played? Don't you get offended when you are Insanely Well Protected? What about Insanely Rich? Also, when the word "Obscene" pops up, do you feel offended because you think MR is calling you Harvey Weinstein? Moreover, why stop there? Let's get Izzy to remove/change the rank names. It certainly can't be better to be named a Godfather, a person who is responsible for countless deaths because they promote murder, lethal drug consumption, physical threats, extortion, etc., over "Insanely High". You know what? Let's get offended when someone shoots us. How about we also remove the drug dealing page of this game? Gambling? Yeah, get rid of that too. After all, gambling can target people to the point where they lose their jobs, all their money, their social life, their love life, etc. Oh what's that? Gambling also can be fun when done with friends around a poker table after having a drink or two? Gambling a small amount of money as part of a company game where half the proceeds go to children too poor to go to school? Nah, let's just ignore the positive connotations it can represent and only focus on the negatives because if I do that, then that means I must be right... right?

Calm down Honesty- 

Report Post Tips: 12 / Total: $240,000 Tip

CalJacobs

Nah

Report Post Tip
Are you a tough guy, Honesty-
Report Post Tip

MrKuku-

Sure

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Remove 'Insanely High' as an activity metric
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL