Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 00:54:26
Page:  1 
Educating the young Started by: PrinceofCheese on Apr 15, '08 09:55
Hello friends,

Over the past few days I've seen many ships docking at our shores and many eager young criminals jumping onto the land and diving straight into activities.

Bearing this in mind I was thinking to myself what does a new mafioso do once they enter our world...

1 ~ Join a crew - fine, this should be covered off elsewhere

2 ~ Check out the university - presuming most orgainsations have one

3 ~ Improvise a little and hope for the best, learn by mistakes, communicate with subcrew leader/university more as required.

"Not bad but are there other options" I said to myself as I poured fresh milk all over myself this morning.

How about a buddy scheme ?

How would this work? Well it could be done on a pan crew level. Those willing to be buddies would nominate themselves and be allocated new mafioso on an ongoing basis. These would be a first point of contact for questions, training etc about the way in which we conduct our daily activity...

Or it might be done on a crew by crew level with the same idea but no pan city arrangement...

One might argue that a well running university should run in this way, perhaps there is space for a dual initiative or maybe leaders just need to re-organise their education services?

Still it's clear that their are plenty of educational operating models available so what are your preference, tell me your ideas and let's see what improvements can be made in our retention of potentially profit generating mafioso...
Report Post Tip
In the past there has been talk of people setting up to house those new off the boat. But that in itself can cause a problem because no CL wants to see a new auth gain 30 members in one day. Now the CL's a captains at their disposal and that is a option that should be considered.

Captains could be set up by each family not just to house the newcomers but to also train them, then when they reach a certain rank say earner the new members should have a basic grasp of what is needed to survive around here.

Survival in my opinion is not just about staying alive, it's about getting involved with our families, making money for the bosses and getting yourself known.

As with all who arrive fresh off the boat some will stay and some will return to whence they came. When your a small unknown gangster it's hard to become known life can become a bit of a drug doing petty after petty.

If we can use the captains are not CL's they should be incontact with their associates daily, helping them pushing them forward. The once the newcomers have reached a specific level let them pass on to the main family.
Report Post Tip
Fair point SmokingKills although that is not the sole purpose of Captains and some may be uncomfortable with it but it's certainly something worthy of consideration...
Report Post Tip
Don't get me wrong I know it's not the main point, but if it were to be used then it would mean the CL's would not get badgered by people asking why aren't they doing something for the newcomers.

Also I'm not saying that all the captains would have to do this, the families could have one division dedicated to the training of the young, while the rest are focused on other ares.
Report Post Tip
I like the idea of buddying up folk straight off the boats with experienced guys. When my bloodline first came off the boats, my ancestor was bemused and bewildered for a good while.

Getting the fundamentals is fairly simple (i.e. join a crew, do petties, traffic and so on) but it's the rest that takes a while to 'get'. Sometimes all you need is someone to ask how to deal with a situation or discuss the latest events. My bloodline foisted itself on 'killer6' and probably bugged the shit out of him so it probably would be better to have someone who has volunteered their services.
Report Post Tip
Like Denouement, I too am a fan of a buddy system. Not only does this system help those new to our shores learn the basics, but they also gain an immediate relationship/mentor. This life is all about such relationships. Giving a new mafioso this opportunity can only be a good thing.

Universities are a wonderful initiative as well. However, with the rapid expansion of our power base, not every crew has had adequate time to set one up. In the mean time, the buddy system answers the educational needs of our community.
Report Post Tip
Another net benefit that could be seen is that those who aren't delegated any particular responsibility e.g. earnings, business manager, etc, will be able to step up and fill what could be a very important role for the family AND the community.
Report Post Tip
This world has become a competition of "Who can do the most to help the new arrivals". If you aren't doing enough, you are EVIL! If you are doing the most, you are a Saint, and none can find fault with you.

Isn't it strange how in the heyday of the mafia, no one thought twice about doing this, yet the population swelled? Maybe instead of this being the main focus of EVERYTHING we do, from the activities of the minions, to crewleader policies, to the Acts of the Gods...we should focus on doing what we have always done: Being mafiosos, criminals, running rackets and schemes, strengthening our families, and looking out for our own. THEN, when that new immigrant arrives, he will see something he wants to be a part of, rather than what appears to be a cult of weirdos desperately trying to attract new followers...

"Come with me, young one"

"What for? What are we doing?"

"Just come. Read this, join that family...you will be safe."

"Ok, now what do I do?"

"Now you spend each day helping out others, to attract more followers"

"Ummm...great. When do we get to act like mobsters?"
Report Post Tip
External influences unfortunately play a role in this newfound kindness Elvis.

Personally I like being a tough bastard but adaptation is supposedly needed.
Report Post Tip
94Octane did something like this some time back, but it started out as "the only way to join my family is to have a mentor IN my family" for the new folks this work wonderful. They got educated quickly by those that took the time to teach it.
Report Post Tip
I think if you like the idea of this, maybe you could give it a trial run in your family?

Or why not just put it in place? Maybe the other families will follow if its successfull.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Educating the young
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL