Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:33:53
Page:  1 
Changing landscapes. Started by: Hades on Sep 07, '11 12:01

It's been a long time since my blood has ventured out onto the streets, instead we have been watching and taking in information. Even though my line goes back beyond most I felt it was time for us to take a bit of an education, learn a few things... yes even us oldies can learn a thing or two.

We have always been one to speak our minds, whether that upset someone or not, it didn't matter. We wanted our point putting across and didn't care how it was perceived. Some would view this as ballsy, some as moronic, others simply dismiss it as another rant by a bloodline notorious for it.

Today I come to you looking at things from another point of view, in a different light. My blood seems to have turned a corner, or is at least attempting to. Thee problems and flaws in my bloods character were not... pointed out by an esteemed member of this world, more... noted. He had words with me in the coffeeshops and said he wanted to take me in and see if I could "be a good boy", see if I could change my bloodys ways. I didn't take up his offer of shelter, however I did take up the challenge he laid down. I devoted myself to my family, regularly giving Alabama generous donations, leaving myself with just enough to fund my own daily tasks. I shut my mouth when it came to street speaking and avoided all confrontation in this world (I have even been slightly more mellow in the coffeeshops, there hasn't been any of the infamous "explosions" associated with my line recently). I am trying to become the ideal family member, hard working, respectful and extremely loyal.

Which brings me to my point, today's world is not the world of old. Anyone who's lineage runs back quite a while will know that it is a totally different place today than it used to be. Today's world has become far more political. Being a mouthy shit in the streets will get you a one way ticket to cement-shoesville. Being a type of "lone mouth and gunman" simply doesn't work anymore. You need to have an expansive networks of friends and colleagues who share the same ideals as you, otherwise you're going to find yourself isolated and unwanted. This is something my blood did not know how to do, it is something we have had to learn over the past few days/weeks/months, which is why I have just sat and watched the days pass by without making any significant contribution to the masses. I have simply kept my head down and worked hard for my boss.

This wasn't always the case, with a lot of bloodlines over time getting to run a family simply by how good an orator they were, no matter what way they put their opinions across. Whether it be respectful or not.

Nowadays, to run a family I think loyalty comes above everything else, well... loyalty and business in general. If you prove your loyalty to your family head and your Godfather and do business the correct way... respectfully and of course... profitably, then you greatly increase your changes of being a family of your own to run.

So, are there any other lines that have struggled to adapt to this changing world?

Is there another twist in the tale to come regarding the way this place is run?

Will street speaking again become a must-have when selecting a crewleader? Or will we stick by the current "loyalty above all" system?

Report Post Tip

Nice to see you stopping to talk with the masses, Hades.

Will street speaking again become a must-have when selecting a crewleader? Or will we stick by the current "loyalty above all" system?

I don't see this being introduced again in the near future as a rule among all cities, though obviously its the choice of each City head what criteria they use to decide who receives their authorisation to set up.

Personally, I love seeing people out here and talking about things they find important in our world, however, I feel there are so much more qualities required in a leader in this day than the ability to address the criminal population. Obviously being a recognised face in the streets helps, as it bodes well for relations with other cities if there is already a level of respect there, but above all else trust, respect and the actual ability to handle the day to day tasks of running the family are more essential to me.

Report Post Tip

Vico waits for Alabama to Finish before he starts trying to express his opinion.

Despite the fact, a loyal member would always be put before an active and fluent street speaker, but it would be a nice change in the requirements for auth.

I agree with Godfather(Mother) Alabama regarding introducing the subject among the cities anytime soon. I personally don't think that people should be vocal and present in the streets just because that would get them auth, rank, or whatever. Street presence has always been a choice. You walk the streets and notice a group of people gathered around someone around the corner of the street, you have the choice to make an appearance there and express your opinion regarding the subject, or just walk away, hence your presence lead to a creative opinion and not just nonsense, trying to be visible to the public as a known figure.

In this world, I haven't seen many people or to phrase this better, crew leaders offering their members help when it came to street presence. So to imply something like that, I'd think a crew leader should encourage his members with the subject, not by forcing them to speak their minds in the streets, but giving them the opportunities to learn how to address others respectfully and make themselves look good, with a worthwhile speech.

I'd love to see something like that being put in place, even though street presence never got that important for us.

Report Post Tip

Some people helped their members graciously.  Kurt was one.  He schooled people in it.  Others have a natural gift.

Some things need said, that's always been the case.

Report Post Tip

The idea that our world is more politically bent now than in the past is flawed. Life is politics, simple as that. It's always going on, it's always happening, you're always a part of it.

A major part of politics is controlling your environment. So of course, the Godfathers and Dons of any given era are going to measure their fellow mafiosi by their own scale, depending on which characteristics they see as most important.

Personally, I can't recall a time where auths were routinely made solely on the amount of time a person spent speaking in the streets. Telling an interesting story means nothing as far as prospective leadership ability goes. But taking part in debates and presenting yourself as an intelligent person with a deep understanding of how things work, strong ideas, and an ability to express yourself well can certainly help give clues to your potential.

That's something I wouldn't want to see lost forever. That tool to evaluate mobsters and determine which ones have the personality and interpersonal skills to lead well. Yes, our line of work requires a good deal of physical strength, but leadership, at it's core, is public relations.

Report Post Tip

DanK walks in very respectfully and clears his throat.

Hades, you certainley have a point here. The days of a first generation mafioso getting a chance to be a leader seem to be gone, and it now seems to be not about what you do, but about what your father, and what his father did. We now have a world where progress is more about who you know, rather then what you know. As an example, I have seen new mafioso being held back in the lwoer ranks until they are more involved in the streets. Yet those who's families have been involved for many years breeze through, without having to say a thing. It does seem to be a less reward for coming onto the streets, in comparison to being loyal and earning money, and lets look at some stats:

there are currently 29 leaders (inc Godfathers) in our world;

58% of these leaders have uttered words less then 100 times (posts); 2 of the current Godfather are included in this;

We also have 3 leaders who we have heard speak, at most, 25 times, and one who has uttered words just 6 times.

This is proof, if proof was needed, that it is loyalty and money which gets you power, and not opinion and street presence. The leaders are those whom opinions we most respect. Those whom we wait in baited breath for.

Maybe the issue here is not about street speaking, but about speaking in general. Do you now build a greater reputation speaking in the coffee shops, then in the streets? Is that where the real relationships are born? Is it that you need a strong coffee shop, rather then street, presence, to progress???

Report Post Tip

For many of the elder bloodlines, this world looks a lot like something they used to know. They believe that they will walk back, pick up their old interests and things will be like they always have been in the past. Unfortunately, when they scratch the surface, they actually realise that MafiaReturns has evolved into something totally different and they aren't as comfortable as they thought or expected to be. Inevitably, they take their leave and I've lost count of the amount of 'names' I've seen come and go, citing the changes in the world as the reason for their departure. That doesn't actually alter the fact that they are ignoring themselves; they simply can't cut it anymore.

This world has bred hungry, savvy and intelligent people, who are carving out names all of their own. Some of the biggest names here cover shoulders that never even had family in the old world. It isn't about being alone, nailing your flag to the mast and facing whatever comes your way; it is about engineering yourself into the position to decide what is going to happen. Many people still think that lots of bodyguards and a big gun are the most important things (and sadly they are increasingly important) but they aren't the be all end all.

There has never been greater strength in being alone than there has in having allies and contacts. This world runs on who you know and what they are prepared to do for you. Nobody makes it to the top and stays there without significant assistance from other people. The era of the rogue is dead and gone, it has always been about the team effort and some of the most notorious 'loners' and self-interested people have become some of the most valuable commodities as a result.

I'd welcome more people to embrace the changes and raise their game accordingly, but few are capable and fewer still have the desire to anymore. That is their loss and they continue to wallow in their own former glories as a result.

~C~

Report Post Tip

Chuckle you have hit the point with that super accurate hammer you use when talking in these streets.

Our world continues to evolve and those blood lines which fail to adapt to the subtle changes are destined for either failure or to become dormant until such times have come around that they become familiar again. Don't hold your breath though waiting for those returns it isn't good for your health.

What my line has found the most interesting has been evolving with our world and embracing the changes, working in different cities and most importantly always learning lessons, keeping diaries and ensuring that my children and grand children know what is expected of them.

Report Post Tip

I'd have to disagree with Chuckle and Nino respectfully.

A lot of us older folk stepped away for many reasons.  We got caught in a relationship, we got other work, we grew up.  A lot of reasons we no longer frequent the world in which we used to.

I don't thing 'being able to cut it' was ever a problem.  We 'cut' a far less sanitised world than this and if I may say so, cut it with aplomb.

I do however, take your point about it being similar yet vastly different from the old days.  

Better?

Worse?

Neither.  Just different.

This new world is however, one more of patience.  Political nous and tactical ingenuity are the things that, in my mind remain a constant.

Not exactly sure what my point is exactly, but there's my 5 cents worth anyway.

toodles.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Changing landscapes.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL