Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 03:38:25
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
GAME CHANGE: Bringing Back The Street Auth Thread. Started by: Squishy on Feb 01, '23 00:23

To keep the population more informed, the following change is being put into place.

Starting Feb 7th, there will be an extra field in your crew settings page for your crew's Street Auth Thread, authored by the would-be/exisitng crewleader. This will be displayed from your crew's details page.

There is a 24 hour grace period where it is not needed (preserving the surprise by rogues, and saving the time by last minute auths during hectic war times), however after the 24 hours, you are unable to receive full benefits from any boosts provided by HQ/crew/member/upper positions until this thread is in place and logged in the crew settings page.

This thread is permanent.  This thread can never be swapped out. Once it is posted in your crew details page, it is set to Locked status, and no one from that point forward will be able to post in that thread.  

I suggest doing this in your back alley and moving it to the Streets when it is ready and has been vetted by your future hands.  When ready, push it to the streets and then add it to your crew details.

If that thread is ever removed or moved as not meeting the standards of the streets, the bonuses are removed as if you do not have the trhead, and can never be obtained again.  This can not be undone.

There is no grandfather clause on this, please have your threads ready and crew settings updated by Feb 7th + 24h grace period.

(I know not everyone is a writer, so please understand that the *effort itself* put into this should be the barometer of the effort a crew is willing to invest into itself as well as put forth to its future.  Not everyone is a polished wordsmith, nor should it be expected, but everyone should be capable of doing this within their own skillset or with assistance from one of your supporters)

Report Post Tips: 44 / Total: $1,860,000 Tip

Awesome change, perhaps now we will start to see people having pride in their accomplishments again

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Honestly I'm all for this - admittedly I've become disenfranchised with the auth thread my last few times up - but I have always felt it was a key part of the auth process. I generally have always done one but after your 24th...26th? Idk...auth it gets a bit...monotonous. But that shouldn't excuse me nor any other players from doing the right thing. And at this point in the games progress (after nearly 25 years) anything that adds quality to the streets and/or breeds new blood to make speech attempts is a good thing in my eyes. I'll be out on the corner as soon as I can.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
If that thread is ever removed or moved as not meeting the standards of the streets, the bonuses are removed as if you do not have the trhead, and can never be obtained again. This can not be undone.

This is literally the only issue I have with this. If someone decided to abuse this rule and “report” this thread. Would this affect this threads status as far as giving a bonus to the CL? Just curious :).
Report Post Tip
Just to re-confirm. Once a thread is posted as auth thread, no one can reply to it?

Also, can I set an old street thread (which was made when I got authed) as my auth thread?

Just to re-confirm. Once a thread is posted as auth thread, no one can reply to it?

It is set to locked status once you enter in a thread you created into your crew settings. Once it is entered, no one will be able to post in it while you are alive (we may unlock it upon death, still in discussion).  If you want people to reply to it, like the person who authed you for example, it should be done before you put it in the crew settings.

Also, can I set an old street thread (which was made when I got authed) as my auth thread?

It only has to be by you, and a valid street thread, there are no other qualifications, it can be old or new.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

This is literally the only issue I have with this. If someone decided to abuse this rule and “report” this thread. Would this affect this threads status as far as giving a bonus to the CL? Just curious :).

Even if your thread is reported, a physical member of admin or Helpdesk has to review the thread, the report and then if it does break the site rules, delete it. 

People abusing the report feature won't automatically be able to get your thread removed. If anything, they'll get admin-jailed for annoying me.  

Also - If anyone wants me to look over their thread or help with it, mail me a link to the back alley and I'll happily lend a hand. 

It is set to locked status once you enter in a thread you created into your crew settings. Once it is entered, no one will be able to post in it while you are alive (we may unlock it upon death, still in discussion).  If you want people to reply to it, like the person who authed you for example, it should be done before you put it in the crew settings.

I guess you lost me on the purpose of the change with this.  If you're wanting to promote more street activity wouldn't locking the thread be counter intuitive?  So we'll just end up with like 15 useless 'I have auth' threads?  

A fantastic change. Always happy to see updates that keep the history of this place alive

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for locking the auth thread as soon as it's designated as one?

Report Post Tip

StandbyJudgeHarold its not a requirement that its locked right away. Users could write the thread and then wait the 23 hours before adding it to their crew details page, they just choose not to. 

Report Post Tip

I would appreciate if the timeline for having the thread up and assigned to be extended. Either to 5 days, so people aren't in such a rush to get it locked, or once you select it on the crew details page it starts a hidden countdown to when it would be locked. 

The point of the streets is engagement but because of the 24 hour limit we've seen that the majority of CLs write a thread and then just immediately lock it. 

I approve of a thread being required, but I think expanding the time would be beneficial in getting some more activity in the threads. People who don't know the history of a CL can see at a glance in the old auth threads when there are a lot of replies that a CL is well liked by the community, but as of now all we know is that they have fulfilled a requirement to having a protected HQ, just like completing jobs etc. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $1,020,000 Tip

Agree 100% Georgette

StandbyJudgeHarold its not a requirement that its locked right away. Users could write the thread and then wait the 23 hours before adding it to their crew details page, they just choose not to. 

Oh yes, I'm aware that you can choose not to designate it as your auth thread for a while, but I am specifically wondering why it has to be locked at all.

Like what's the reason behind / the benefit of locking it. Does it have to be locked?

Either to 5 days, so people aren't in such a rush to get it locked, or once you select it on the crew details page it starts a hidden countdown to when it would be locked. 

If the thread must be locked for some reason that I don't know of then +1 on this idea.

If there is no real reason for it: I'd propose abolishing the lock entirely.

Report Post Tip

Abolish the lock, why put anything in the streets that you can't engage with?

I like the lock being in place, but that's because its easier to find historical auth-threads to point newbies to if they ever get auth and need a guide. 

Perhaps upon death the thread that is picked as the auth thread in the crew details gets locked? 

Report Post Tip
We dont get new players that stay long. Using that as an angle for change is just ridiculous. On top of that 90% of the players have back alley threads to assist new people should they come around.
Report Post Tip

Perhaps upon death the thread that is picked as the auth thread in the crew details gets locked? 

That's a much better idea imo, auth threads are typically congratulatory and celebratory events but have been turned into an obligation where none of that is permissible by design and that seems like an odd choice to me

We dont get new players that stay long. Using that as an angle for change is just ridiculous.

I didn't suggest a change to the lock - I explained why I liked the lock being there and why we should keep it. 

News & Announcements
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Bringing Back The Street Auth Thread.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL