Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 18:24:48
Page:  1 
The Left Hand Started by: Simplicity on Sep 10, '11 03:32

Simplicity had yet to make a speech of her own that wasn't about her past. She had spoke to many about their speeches, whether it was praising them or disagreeing with the speaker, but she had never came to the streets to speak to the masses about a subject she had long been pondering on. She figured that this subject had been brought up before, but she hadn't seen it or read it herself. She wanted the thoughts of others on the matter after she spoke her own to them. 

Walking forward to face those who stood before her she smiled. She wasn't nervous as she had been out in these streets fairly often, but she was a bit unnerved about what people would say in response. Would they agree with what she had to say or would they disagree? She knew there was going to be both views or maybe those who are indifferent, but even so she was going to be ready for whatever was going to come her way.

Taking one last look at the paper she had wrote a few notes on she then put it back into her jacket pocket. The winds were picking up in her Windy City and she was needing a light coat to keep her warm.

"Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of the fine mafia world. I come to you today with my thoughts. These thoughts have been invading my mind daily which is why I have arrived here. Perhaps if I release them onto you, it can put my mind at ease a bit and answer some questions for me."

Pausing as she made sure she had every one's attention, Simplicity then continued.

"I want to know your thoughts on the Left Hand man. Not any certain Left Hand, but just the position in general. The Right Hand can do everything that the Left Hand can do, but the Left Hand has less privileges. Are they really needed? Or are they there just to have another "important" place holder. For some that would be called, "Just for looks". Having a Left Hand has been very useful to some, but somewhat of a nuisance to others."

"In my honest opinion I've always felt that just having your Right Hand was good enough. They helped you and supported you, did the dirty work while you weren't around, and made sure to get you your coffee every morning! The left hand seems to be there only if both your crew leader and Right Hand are away, which is very understandable, but this could be a very long list if we kept going with that story. Well, what if the crew leader, Right Hand, and Left Hand are all gone? Well, then it goes to perhaps the crew's Consigliere! Yet, what if all four of them are gone! I think you get the picture."

"Don't get me wrong I have found that having a Left Hand around has proven very useful, but you don't exactly need a spot meant for that, to do what they do. Hell, pardon my sour language, but what do you even see is the Left Hand's job besides being there if both the crew leader and Right Hand are missing? My bloodline has been pondering this question ever since it returned to these shores to see such a position."

Simplicity took a second to take a sip of water before she finished her speech. Looking back to the crowd she nodded and returned to what she was saying.

"Right now you can see a few crew's without a Left Hand, but they quickly fill the Right Hand position. Does this show how important the Right Hand's job is, but how the Left Hand's position can be left to worry about later? This can also be because you want to make sure to find a good and qualified person to be able to see such valuable family information. What are your thoughts?"

Taking a step back, Simplicity left the floor open to all who wanted to respond. She was quite interested in their true and honest opinion.

Report Post Tip

The_Civilian approaches the soap box and steps up looking at the crowd...

"Uh.. humm... Hello everyone, i dont speak much out here but Don Simplicity has certainly bought up
a interested subject."

Civ nods at Simplicity and takes a serious look thinking about the topic in hand.

"What is the LHM positions usefulness? I would say that it is very useful.
If a Crew Leader and Rhm has a good member and they want to see how much he can be trusted.
The Lhm position is a good way to check him out, of course this person would need to have shown
a considerable amount of loyalty to obtain such position."

Civ looks at the croud and puts both hands in front of him about 1 foot away from each other...

"What if the city is expanding and the Crew Leaders Rhm is about to get authorized to run his very own family? What will happen then?"

Civ drops both hands, shrugs and smiles... pointing a finger 45 degres in front of him and up.
And looks at the crowds faces in general.

"The Crew Leader would need to find himself a replacement, and would need to trust somebody enough
for the job. I think the LHm position is a good training for the a person who wants to obtain the
Rhm position sometime in his life. My bloodline has though a lot about this, so i have read in their
memoirs."

Civ puts his hands in his pockets and starts to rock back and forth...

"I myself has been a Lhm for a while and just got granted my Rhm position a day ago.
Personaly... i see it's usefulness, as for futur expansion and schooling. Also, lets not forget that
a third position in the heads of the family encourages the members to roll up their sleeves and work hard.
A Lhm is useful in many ways, a CL or Rhm can also delege some of the work at the headquarters for instance."

"Well, that is about all i can say about the Lhm position, i hope this turns out useful to you Simplicity.
A great subject you have bought here today and i am happy to share my thoughts with you."

Civ nods... steps down from the soap box and mingles through the crowd shaking hands...

Report Post Tip

The hulkster, who was currently flexing in the street for no appearant reason, overheard Simplicity asking a simple question. The role of that of a "Left hand man" The hulkster was listening and thought voicing his must steroided thoughts on the matter at hand.

Well let me tell you something sister! Everyone loves when they are spoken to by what we call leadership! You know when a leader takes a moment to have a friendly conversation with one of their dudes then the dude is filled with a joy and a pride that makes everyone happier. The dude earns more, the leader recieves more! But you know something, sometimes i think the leaders dont have time for friendly conversations with every single person out there and sometimes not every man really understands how to live certain aspects of the day to day lifestyle of...well what all the mafia maniacs live!

The hulkster closes his eyes and imagines a world with no left handed men.

What if there was a time in the day where both the leaders of the family, the crewleader and the right hand dude, were asleep and something were to happen? A war, A rogue, or a simple problem with how to run a business. The left hand should be able, and should know how, to step in and deal with the certain situations if the young dudes dont know what to do! I personally think the Left hand is very much needed.

Say the entire crew is quite experinced they were all in some kind of previous lifestyle that was very similar and something goes wrong, well is the Left Hand really valuable? I would like to think, that a left hand should be an all around kind of a guy. A guy that is used not only for when things could get chaotic but when things are dull with family life. Have him organize family parties and have him deal with things that make the family run smoother let the man that is right handed deal with the stress and the crew leader to deal with the greatest amount of stress brother!

Feeling like he somewhat contributed to the question Hogan begins to rip his shirt and dance in the middle of the street. Random flexing was encouraged by the hulkster.

Report Post Tip

Traditionally, a Left Hand Man serves as a Family's Consigliere, not to be confused with the esteemed rank of Consig. A Consigliere by definition is one who should be readily available to give council. This is often times an individual who is well versed in all matters regarding Our Thing, as we as someone who can fill the shoes of a Boss or crew Underboss (RHM) when neither are available.

It's common for a leader to put an individual in the position of Left Hand Man for grooming purposes. Often times that person is an individual that a leader trusts but not one totally suitable for the role. This is not incorrect by any means, so long as the leader takes responsibility for grooming said Left Hand Man. In Our World, the role of LHM can be a great stepping stone. Or, it can be a vital role in a crew when a leader is faced with a certain task or obstacle, and may need to rely on a knowUledgable person to help them take the right path

I've also noticed that Left Hand Man is the role most regularly switched around. This is obviously up to the individual leader's discretion, but should be done with a purpose, such as in the case of a pro-longed absence or pre-meditated changing of the guard.

I'd advise that a leader choose their LHM wisely, even if tue person you want filling that role is somebody in the grooming stage. An LHM will ultimately be held accountable for decisions made in a faction when the faction's leader and Right Hand are unavailable. Treat the position as the heralded role it is meant to be as opposed to an opportunity to give a friend the bragging rights that come along with donning a slanted pin-stripe suit

Report Post Tip

(btw, all mis-spellings and odd typos were intentional, and not a result of any auto-corrects or lack of proofreading. That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Report Post Tip

For me, I see the LHM as more of a figure head role. Someone who holds an important title, but executes little power. Someone who is 'rewarded' for their previous hard work with the promotion. Often given to someone who has done a lot of back office work within a family, who then deserves public recognition. Or someone who is a very very close friend, even a blood-family friend of the leader, but doesn't maybe have the skills to be a RHM.

Due to the lack of power, if the leader does not have someone within their family who he feels deserves to have the public recognition rewarded, then the position remains unfilled until someone steps up.

Report Post Tip

The hulkster hears the words of the man they call DanK.

Someone who holds an important title, but executes little power.

Well let me tell you something brother I think, that the execution of power is based not on every single role of the Left hand man as the whole but instead of the very individual there is within the family brother! I would find it hard to compare the Left Hand Man of one family to another and say they are only a "figure head"

The hulkster rips off his shirt and begins to flex random muscles people that were watching attempted to do the same but only hurt themselves. Quite sad really.

You know something Brother, i spoke earlier about how it really depends on what he is allowed to do! The Left hand, i believe is more than a typical figure head. They, as SexyBeast has said, Is "...someone who can fill the shoes of a Boss or crew Underboss (RHM) when neither are available." I would take this as not only a pretty big task but something the entire family would need to know, and understand, as freaking huge brother and i mean like 24 inch python huge compadre!

The hulkster looks at the sky and realizes the sun is coming up. He didnt sleep. he was like a zombie. Zombie Hogan. yes quite creepy of an image. The hulkster signs an autograph and begins to walk out the streets keeping his ears open if he hears something tasty to the ears.

Report Post Tip

Hogan, what you say is true, what a LHM does is dependant on what the leader lets him do. In my experience, a LHM does a lot more in the background, behind the scenes. This is where they do their good work. They do a lot of work similar to that of a Family Consig, ensuring the family runs smoothly. Whilst saying they are simply a figurehead might be considered a bit of a Risqué opinion, I can sort of see a good example in politics. It is a similar position to the Deputy Primm Minister in the UK, whom does a lot of good work, is a jack of all trades, but doesnt have a specific job, and is more there to take over when the PM is on holiday and is often given to a close friend of the PM, no matter what their political ability might be.

Report Post Tip

Jimmy looks at Kriminal.. the looks at his Left Hand Man.. nudging him in the arm and laughing a bit before pushing off off to go get ready for the mission later tonight.. his Left Hand Man was going to be in charge tonight, running his first op by himself and Jimmy wouldn't be far away but he planned to be watching and grading..

I want people to know that you work hard enough, you play your cards right and things go well you have a decent shot at making somebody of yourself here in Vegas working under me. Everyone wants quick power.. I want to be a Don! A hitman! I want 1000 bodyguards! but not many realize that those of us who have been given the blessing to be at the top of our game have what you would call a.. resume. Some longer than others, but mostly decent sizes as it takes time and work to gain trust in our world where trust is earned by words and actions that lead to death and pain when things go wrong.

You need a good level and flexible head on your shoulders but work hard enough in my family and of course don't be fooled as *trust* is key here..but do those things and I will do my best to reward you. I attempt to use the position as not only a strong business associate whose views I rely on, but also as a place for a mobster to grow, learn the ropes and one day if he plays his cards right.. he might move up so at times my Left Hand Man position may be occupied by different mobsters, but in times of need all of them entrusted to do their best for the family and city of Las Vegas and our business associates worldwide while learning everything I can teach them in a position I have flexibility.

These are new days, the ships arrive daily and our world fills with young and hungry gangsters and we must be ready to provide them with the guidance, protection and opportunities they need and our great world can offer.

Report Post Tip

WhereAmI finishes listening and decides to speak,

The LHM is a direct representative of the CL. If the LHM messes up, its a bit more serious. It's also used for basic HQ mainenance and keeping the CL and RHM's mail boxes from getting filled to the brim with every question a member might have.

Outside of that, everyone who said it before is right, It's a great way to train someone for a leadership position.

Report Post Tip

I agree wholeheartedly with WhereAmI.  He makes some excellent points, as usual.  I feel that he is a force to be reckoned with and will, in all likelyhood, progress through the ranks.  One day we will be calling him Godfather WhereAmI.  

This I predict, as I stand before you today.

As many of you already know, I'm rarely wrong.

Report Post Tip

Well this is a really good topic Simplicity. I got to agree with The_Civillian , LHM is a really good way to test members.

Enough said about that. I would say,since RHM is already helping out the CL with most things, and especially mails, LHM, in my opinion could help fill out the various "jobs' in a crew, like sorting out the earnings , and especially getting to know the members, keeping in touch with them and help answer their questions.

This is really important, as I could imagine being in a crew, login in day in day out doing petties and drugs, and no one "talks " to you. I mean what is the point of playing an online game when you don't communicate with others? Of course, the members could initiate the conversation, but then, there is a reason why people get certain positions like the LHM. THey've got their own responsibilities , and this is just oen of it.

well nough said.

Report Post Tip

ThePunchingBag, it is indeed a sad day when you are shunned by the other inhabitants in this thing.  For example, one young man told me that he would pray to the Gods if I contacted him again.  And I only have good things to say to and about him.  Such is the level of suspicion and paranoia endemic across these cities.

It is often said that city by city you can notice little differences.  This is true.  For example, I was in New Orleans just the other day.  The people there are happier, more content with their lot.  Smiles all round - jokes and laughter.  And then I went to Chicago..  People are scared and nervous.  One fellow started to cry as I passed.  I asked him what wa wrong and he ran away.  It is sad.

I think the Godfathers across these cities should look out for the wellbeing of their flock.  I sugget rollerskates.  They make everyone smile and they are NOT unmasculine.

Report Post Tip

Simplicity smiled as she listened to everyone's responses. It was nice to hear what others thought about the Left Hand Man. They all gave good reasons and these were why she felt the Left Hand was useful at times.

Thanking each and everyone of them she nodded as she shook their hands.

"Thank you for your responses. It has been very interesting seeing what you all think about this position. I think all of you are correct as the position is left for the family head to decide."

Finishing shaking their hands she then took a few steps back.

"If any others have more to say I'll be here for a bit longer to listen, but I once again thank those who chose to respond."

Report Post Tip

The Left hand can play a most crucial role in our world today. It is a position of great importance that should never be over estimated. They are the number three in the family, when the boss and his right hand are not around then it is down to the left hand to make decisions that will affect the family both internally and externally.

A left hand knows exactly where every member of the family is, can authorise shots, remove guns, and can hire and fire from the family. From reading my families history the left hand and right hand have frequently been interchangeable depending on sleeping patterns of the top three to ensure a presence over our world as close to 100% of the time as possible. In doing this the necessary can be done at any point in time efficiently and swiftly which can only promote the good state of the family.

I see our least favourite Polish, Italian descendant with a hint of Spanish has returned. I happened to see you in Chicago the other day, the people weren't nervous they were actually quite happy till you showed up, the crying that chap was doing was in laughter at the sign which someone had stuck to your back. I guess he ran off because he found it amusing and didn't want to let on.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Left Hand
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL