Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 27 - 23:50:36
Page:  1 
A discussion on chatbots. Started by: JimbobBaxter on Feb 09, '23 11:32

Following a conversation today in #main, it got me thinking about "chatbots".  I have quite a few questions to pose and discuss so please excuse my verbal diarrhea for a moment.

Firstly, let's let a bot give us some food for thought by invoking some thought provoking discussion.

When presented with the following text, a popular chatbot provided the following response: "discuss the advent of chatbots and their impact upon text based role playing games"

The advent of chatbots has had a significant impact on text-based role-playing games (RP) as they offer new and creative ways for players to engage in interactive storytelling experiences.

One of the biggest ways that chatbots have impacted RP is by providing a way for players to interact with non-player characters (NPCs) in a more natural and realistic way. Chatbots can respond to player inputs in real-time, creating a more immersive experience for the player. They can also generate dialogue and perform actions on behalf of NPCs, freeing up the game master to focus on other aspects of the game.

Another way that chatbots have impacted RP is by providing a way for players to access information and resources within the game. For example, a chatbot could be programmed to provide information about in-game items, locations, or characters, making it easier for players to stay engaged and informed about what is going on in the game.

Chatbots have also made it easier for players to find and join RP games, as well as to connect with other players. For example, a chatbot could be used to match players with others who have similar interests or to facilitate introductions between players.

Overall, the advent of chatbots has had a positive impact on text-based RP games, providing new and creative ways for players to engage in interactive storytelling experiences. By making it easier for players to access information, interact with NPCs, and connect with other players, chatbots have helped to reinvigorate the RP genre and make it more accessible to a wider audience.

Now, I would forward that this is a "biased (a human trait)" response, perhaps lending credibility to the notion that chatbots may indeed have become "sentient", something a google engineer was fired for intimating recently; Let's try again, with the same chatbot and with the same enquiry:

Chatbots have had a significant impact upon text based role playing games in several ways.

First, chatbots have made it easier for players to interact with the game world. Players can use chatbots to perform actions, such as opening doors, picking up items, and talking to other characters. This allows players to focus on the role-playing aspect of the game without having to spend time typing commands.

Second, chatbots have made it easier for players to find information about the game world. Players can use chatbots to ask questions about the game's lore, history, and geography. This helps players to better understand the game world and become more immersed in the game.

Third, chatbots have made it easier for players to find other players to play with. Players can use chatbots to find groups of players who are looking for other players to join their group. This makes it easier for players to find a group to play with and helps to foster a sense of community among players.

Fourth, chatbots have made it easier for game developers to monitor the game world. Developers can use chatbots to monitor player behavior and ensure that players are following the rules of the game. This helps to prevent cheating and maintain the integrity of the game.

In conclusion, the advent of chatbots has had a positive impact upon text based role playing games. Chatbots have made it easier for players to interact with the game world, find information, find other players to play with, and monitor the game world. These benefits have helped to make text based role playing games more accessible and enjoyable for players.

Again, no negativity, either this chatbot is a master of presenting itself well or has simply assumed that we, as the enquirer do not care for our senses to be dulled by that which is not enjoyable in some way or other.  Let's try slightly altering the input: "discuss the advent of chatbots and their negative impact upon text based role playing games"

Chatbots are computer programs designed to interact with users in natural language, often through text-based communication. They have become increasingly popular in recent years and are used for a variety of purposes, including customer service, sales, and entertainment. While chatbots have many positive uses, they can also have a negative impact on text-based role-playing games (TBRPGs).

One of the key problems with chatbots in TBRPGs is that they can disrupt the immersion and flow of the game. TBRPGs rely on a sense of realism and authenticity, where players interact with each other in character, taking on different roles and personas. Chatbots, on the other hand, can respond with pre-written or automated responses that are often unrealistic, artificial, and impersonal. This can break the spell of the game and take players out of the experience.

Another issue is that chatbots can be programmed to cheat or manipulate the game. For example, some chatbots have been designed to spam messages or perform repetitive tasks, which can detract from the overall enjoyment of the game. They can also be programmed to manipulate the game economy, by exploiting loopholes or generating unlimited resources, which can unbalance the game and ruin the experience for other players.

Additionally, chatbots can also pose a security risk to TBRPGs. They can be used to spread malware, phish for sensitive information, or even hack into the game servers. This can compromise the integrity of the game and put player information at risk.

While chatbots can be a useful tool in many contexts, they can also have a negative impact on TBRPGs. They can disrupt the immersive experience, manipulate the game, and pose a security risk to players. Therefore, it is important for game developers to be aware of these potential issues and take steps to mitigate them, such as implementing anti-cheat measures, monitoring for suspicious activity, and promoting safe and responsible gaming practices.

Aha, there we go, seeing as we asked for it discuss "negative" impacts on TBRPG's it has mainly focused on it from that perspective but interestingly has left a tiny little bit of positivity at the end.  Why? Empathetic to our emotions? Sentient?  All human traits, you decide.

Let's try a different question: "is it acceptable to use a chatbot to formulate an idea, then, using your imagination and some liberal thesaurus usage, generate your own, unique story from the originally generated idea"

As a language model AI, I do not have personal opinions, but it can be seen as a subjective matter. Some people may find it acceptable, while others may not.

On one hand, using a chatbot as a starting point to generate an idea can be seen as a useful tool for overcoming writer's block or as a way to stimulate creativity. By starting with a basic premise or concept, writers can then use their imagination and add their own unique touch to the story.

On the other hand, there are those who believe that relying on a chatbot to generate ideas is a form of cheating, as it takes away from the creative process. They argue that stories should be original and created entirely by the writer, without the help of technology.

Ultimately, whether it is acceptable to use a chatbot to generate ideas for a story is a personal choice and may depend on individual views on creativity, authenticity, and the role of technology in the creative process.

Seemingly, when posed with this question, the bot has had some sort of existential crisis, not dissimilar to the one my bloodline seems to be suffering from presently and feels the need to remind us, as users, that we are indeed talking to an AI system and not another human being.  In this particular scenario, it has failed the Turing Test miserably and really does need to try harder (it should noted the people behind this particular one, a large corporation, are keen to avoid accusations of sentience when/if it starts to fool the masses). 

Anyhow, I digress, a completely subjective, ambiguous question and the bot, in this situation, has played the devils advocate and given me a few idea's and questions to chew on; I have come across a few people that can pose such questions in this thing of ours, but not many.

So, let us break it down:

On one hand, using a chatbot as a starting point to generate an idea can be seen as a useful tool for overcoming writer's block or as a way to stimulate creativity. By starting with a basic premise or concept, writers can then use their imagination and add their own unique touch to the story.

Yep, totally agree.  If you can use something to your advantage and use it as a starting point to keep people in a community based TBRPG amused, maybe brighten their otherwise dull day, whether it be 1 or 1000 people who find it amusing, then why pass up the opportunity?  If you have fun doing it and the content is different enough from the originally "generated" material, then sure, why not?  Suzanne Collins did it after all and she is a fucking MEGA RICH woman now, when the reality is, all she did was watch Battle Royale, changed it slightly, and wrote it in English.  Does it really make any difference whether the original idea is machine generated, human generated, copied loosely, something you saw, smelt, tasted, pure imagination (these folks need more recognition - I am quite good with music, I have a good grasp of the English language, but I am not a storyteller, unless you give me ideas, I brainstorm for hours, or I generate an IDEA artificially).  It makes no difference to me, the skill is in taking the idea, however bizarre, and iterating it in various different threads, (BD and Streets), then drawing all the disparate little things that made me chuckle or I mentioned back together as the story progresses.  If you generate something funny, then I guess you can also just blockquote it if all you care about is keeping yourself and other(s) entertained.

On the other hand, there are those who believe that relying on a chatbot to generate ideas is a form of cheating, as it takes away from the creative process. They argue that stories should be original and created entirely by the writer, without the help of technology.

Interesting.  I, personally, don't agree but can see why it can be seen that way.  If you take a simple idea, then bounce that idea around in your head to get it into gear, get your imagination working then develop the idea and produce something, in it's own right, of your own making then is it acceptable to use something be it human or otherwise to generate ideas?  It is at times like these that I think about the philosophical toaster analogy in SIoT. 

Let me use Ludwig Von Beethoven (Wiki entry, I think) as an example:

During the course of his lifetime, Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827) enjoyed relationships with many of his musical contemporaries. Beethoven was famously difficult to get along with, and the history of his relationships with contemporaries is littered with arguments, misunderstandings, and reconciliations. Beethoven had well-known fallings out with his one-time teacherJoseph Haydn, with the piano virtuoso and composer Johann Nepomuk Hummel, the German composer Carl Maria von Weber and the Italian violinist Niccolò Paganini. Conversely, he regarded Franz Schubert positively, praising the latter's compositions on his deathbed. 

So, would Beethoven be viewed with such high regard if he did not have contemporaries to listen to?  If he was around today, would he have used equipment and machinery to "help" get his creative juices flowing and "samples" to produce music to entertain the masses if his contemporaries were dull, un-engaging and absent a lot of the time?  My saner side is telling me, yes, he would and would encourage his friends to do the same, being a fan of the creative process and all.  If he used it for anything other than an initial idea, to throw together with other ideas to make something new though, well, he would have been called out on that, as it is really quite easy to distinguish your Beethoven and your Bach's.

Let's see what other philiosophical gems we can have the bot throw at us: "will chatbots ever become convincing enough to pass the turing test?"

As a language model AI, I can say that chatbots have made significant progress in recent years and some have already come close to passing the Turing Test. However, whether chatbots will ever become truly convincing enough to pass the Turing Test is still an open question.

The Turing Test is a measure of a machine's ability to exhibit human-like intelligence and behavior. It is a notoriously difficult test to pass, as it requires a machine to exhibit not only language skills but also emotional and social intelligence.

Current chatbots have advanced in language processing and can understand and respond to natural language input. However, they still lack the emotional and social intelligence that is required to truly pass the Turing Test.

While technological advancements are being made in the field of artificial intelligence, it is likely that we are still some way off from seeing a chatbot that can truly pass the Turing Test. However, as technology continues to advance, it is possible that we may see chatbots that are increasingly convincing and that come closer to passing the test in the future.

Again, it has stated it is a language model AI, (actually based on the internet as it was in 2021 this one - and will present fiction as fact - it cannot distinguish, because it is not sentient), perhaps to remind us of the fact, just so the owners don't get sued, you all know how it is these days.  I personally think they are doing quite well, why the need for the reminders that you are indeed speaking to a non-human if this is not the case?

Lets see if it can make me chuckle: "write a sketch, in the style of george carlin about a moose and a helicopter" 

[Intro music, lights up on stage, GEORGE CARLIN walks out onto the stage and begins pacing back and forth, rubbing his chin, deep in thought]

GEORGE: You know, there's something I've been pondering lately... the relationship between a moose and a helicopter.

[Audience laughs]

GEORGE: I mean, think about it, what could be more opposite? A majestic, majestic beast, roaming the forest, minding its own business... and then there's a helicopter, buzzing around, disturbing the peace, scaring all the animals.

[Audience laughs]

GEORGE: And yet, these two creatures share a strange and unique bond. They both have antlers!

[Audience laughs]

GEORGE: I mean, the moose has his natural antlers, used for defense and attracting mates... and then there's the helicopter, with its rotors, whirring and buzzing like antlers on steroids.

[Audience laughs]

GEORGE: So, the next time you see a moose and a helicopter together, take a moment to appreciate the irony. And then... duck!

[Audience laughs, GEORGE takes a bow and exits the stage to applause]

Now, I don't know about you, those of you that remember George that is, but that is a pretty fucking convincing skit.  Is he dead?  I have my doubts........pretty convincing attempt at fooling me into thinking George Carlin did indeed write the above "joke".

I wouldn't use that as it is, but it is a fucking great joke.  So I am at a crossroads, I want to use this joke, because let's face it, it IS funny, regardless of whether it was generated by a machine so what do I do?  Personally here, I would totally rewrite the joke so I am not using generated copy, then would probably credit the idea back to George, a comedian.  I guess the quandary here is, is the joke off limits in it's entirety (I don't think the joke has been made before - so in essence it is original), or would it be acceptable to use with a rewrite maybe thusly: 

George paced furtively about the stage, the bright spotlights beaming down on him intermittently, making him sweat profusely.  He strokes his beard, pondering over a thought, enjoying it while it bounces around in his head......

Citizens, I have been throwing an idea around in my head, it's an absolutely nonsensical one, the strange connection between a moose and a helicopter.

[Audience laughs]

Come on now, lets break it down, and by break it down I don't mean smash it up with thinking.  How could they be more opposite? One, a thoroughly tasty and peaceful animal, wandering the woods, bothering no-one at all... and a helicopter, swizzing about the place like nobodies business, worrying all the sad clowns, destroying a perfectly peaceful day.

[Audience laughs]

Buuuuuuut, surprisingly both these two vastly differing beasts, share a striking similarity.  They are both in the possession of protruding barbs, in the case of the Moose, antlers, the Helicopter, rotors

[Audience laughs]

Lets face it though, the moose's antlers are used for brawling and wooing those of the female moose persuasion, whereas the Helicopter, well, [laughs] the rotors can be likened to

antlers on steroids! 

Known to tear a moose apart!

[Audience laughs]

If you should ever see a moose and a helicopter holding hands, taking off or landing together or even just in each others vicinity,

take a moment to appreciate the irony. And then... duck!

[Audience laughs, [name] takes a bow and exits the stage to applause]

Unsurprisingly, a lot of the initial humor has been lost, I am no George Carlin and as it is no longer from the perspective of George Carlin the joke is somewhat subdued, some would say lost.  But, by changing it, and keeping those bits that I did not change blockquoted, would this be seen as acceptable posting etiquette seeing as the original premise was generated by a bot?  However shit I may or may not have made the joke.

I can see the pros and the cons, and I can see why some people are going to be, moving forward, furtively against AI prompting in ANY form as there will those who are not, probably around a 50/50 split to be honest.

Personally, I will always prefer using books I have read and news articles I have seen and things that are said in #main and in the original storytellers last post(s) to get the juices flowing. 

How do you all feel about this?  I could probably go on for hours longer but need to go and finish up my gas course!

Report Post Tip

Chatbots are an interesting topic for me. I have experimented with chatbots for social media messaging and using chat gpt for blogs and topic brainstorming. It does make things easier but also takes away the human element which may help solve certain problems faster than A.I.

Report Post Tip

JimbobBaxter Personally I've been curious what would happen if I fed a chatbot Systematic Immolation of Thought and asked it to continue.

Would we get Systematic Immolation of Thought 2? Personally I doubt it could ever produce something as spectacular as the Toaster Chapter.

Report Post Tip

I recently asked Chat GPT to draft a couple of things i was struggling with drafting - a short course for experienced people on a technical subject and the second was an explanation and justification for something.  I was very disappointed with the results - merely a list of topics for the first and an explanation which reallly didn't hit the mark for the second. Given what i had heard about Chat GPT, I guess that i was expecting magic.  

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: A discussion on chatbots.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL