Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 04:29:10
Page:  1 
GAME CHANGE: new @notifications requirements Started by: Squishy on Feb 28, '23 11:25

If you want to tag someone in a post using the @TheirNameHere feature, you must now be in a crew for the feature to send out the personals.

This will introduce a small hurdle which will cut down abuse of the feature.

Report Post Tips: 6 / Total: $120,000 Tip

I don't want to be facetious here but how can a tag feature be abused? I don't understand.

Report Post Tip

Ever wonder why only uppers can massmail in large quantities? If you can annoy/harass/interrupt people and have nothing to lose, it would tend to get abused more often.  Mass mail can be extremely annoying, but is counterbalanced by reputation/loss of work put in/effort required. 

The same logic should apply to notifications.

Scenario 1:

I annoy you, so you set me to ignore, but I am the type of person who makes a new name daily. The ignore feature now has become moot when they are on a new name every day.

Scenario 2:

I AM ANGRY PERSON WHO DIED IN WAR @USER1 @USER2 @USER3 @USER4 @USER5 @USER6 @USER7 @USER8 @USER9, I WILL SHARE MY SALT WITH YOU ON MY 3 MINUTE OLD ACCOUNT

Long story short, it feels that the number of times an uncrewed person uses notifications for bad is past a certain acceptable ratio of uncrewed people who use it for good.

Report Post Tip

It doesn't matter much to me either way but there is the option to disable forum tagging. And will this also mean Joe Blow cannot tag anyone who is not in a crew? 

Report Post Tip

I really like this. So many times I have seen someone not in a family tagging people just to annoy/harass them. This should stop most of this nonsense.

Report Post Tip

I have seen it too Miles and there is the nifty feature of ignore that can be exercised. I had a RH who did this every other day. A couple clicks and it was done. He never cried about it. 

The more I think about it probably the majority did not cry. 

Report Post Tip

Very true PITA but we know it only takes the right person/group to complain for action. This is basically harmless so I see no need to go against it. 

Report Post Tip

Yet we can also view it as how is this in the best interest of all? 

Report Post Tip

I believe one of the rules of playing this game is you are 18+

My personal opinion is that if you are an adult who is easily triggered by someone tagging you in a forum post this likely isn't the game for you or you need to develop thicker skin / go outside once in a while.

Alas we are in 2023 and pandering to the vocal minority seems to be more de rigueur online & IRL.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Maybe the people who are tagging people need to act like they are 18, grow the hell up and stop this childish behavior Billy.

If everyone acted like adults this new rule would not have been needed. The adult in the room felt the need to intercede. Some will like it, some won't. Their preference has nothing to do whether they should play this game.

Besides that, do you really think this place needs to lose more players? It has been in a steady decline for awhile now.

Not being able to tag people while not in a crew will cause the game to lose players? 

Anything I find mildly questionable will cause the game to lose players. 

So sayeth edgelord Miles_Of_Style.

"The adult in the room felt the need to intercede." I would wager on the fact that the administrators only intercede when the same old vocal minority continue to whinge. Sack up & get on with it ffs.

"Oh no a forum tag caused me mild discomfort or irritation. Woe is me. Please change it." buch of slack jawed cry babies around here. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $272,000 Tip

The explanation is quite clear.

New accounts are being created to abuse and harass players that have 0 interest in actually playing the game, and no I don't want to stop notifications game-wide.

The accounts that this will affect are the very small minority that keeps creating accounts to write newspapers, throw mud at uppers or complain about Leaders of the streets. 

Death is obviously not a deterrent for their shenanigans as they will just create a new account tomorrow.

I would go further with changes and remove protections earlier for uncrewed players.

A month-long account without a crew shouldn't exist.

Report Post Tip

I'm not a fan of this change. There are options to disable tagging entirely and I'd think this would be a better option for people who don't want to be tagged. 

This just feels like it will have more negative effects than positive. Rogues, crewless after a takedown, anyone stuck during rebuild mode without a crew. I think of plenty legitimate reasons to not have a crew and still might want to post something with a tag. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

"Oh no a forum tag caused me mild discomfort or irritation. Woe is me. Please change it." buch of slack jawed cry babies around here

LMAO Well put!

And I also agree with Wellerman. 

Report Post Tip

We are talking about these hypothetical scenarios that I have never actually seen play out, where it's a necessity to be able to tag someone in a thread and not have a crew. 

The only people have seen doing this, are the same small group of people creating new accounts over and over again. (some called them the "kuku's", IDK)

James Baxter a couple of months ago was being tagged on multiple posts, sometimes multiple per day by these guys, and if you are an active member you don't want to disable notifications just because 2 or 3 people abuse a feature.

As a civilian, you shouldn't have my name on your lips at all. We should be observing omertà not quaquaraquà. 

Report Post Tip

This change was brought about possibly in part because I tagged some people whom I have long-running, and for me, light-hearted beefs with.  One player in particular, I have zero idea about the origin of his particular animus against me, but let's face it: I've probably upset him at some point.

I am in full support of this feature change.  I think it makes sense: accounts with no time investment should probably not have earned the right to do things that time-invested accounts have.

I'm not going to complain about it, and I accept that this change added to the workload of already busy people.  For that, I have regrets.

I will flag one thing, though, and that is the rank hypocrisy of some of the "tagged" - I can't know for sure if the person that complained is the same person that not-so-long-ago sent me a vile slur about a member of my IRL family and then blocked me before I could reply, but I suspect that it probably is.

And maybe it's the same person who, when I run surveys using external sites, uses the opportunity to change their IP address to show the same city I live in (or who, improbably does live in the same city as me) and spam the survey with slurs about my IRL family.  I don't know.  I don't really care.  Like the IRL family insults, I just ignore them and continue doing my thing.

I could have gone to Help Desk about these things, but I didn't: those guys are busy enough offering help and support.  But more importantly, I do see this as a game, and us as a community.  A fairly dysfunctional community, but a community all the same.

There isn't a single person who plays this game that I have an IRL issue with.  And there isn't a single player I'd prefer didn't play.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

A fairly dysfunctional community, but a community all the same.

I found your summary of the community to be entertaining. That is why I tipped you. You have been tagging for how long now? This is not about you. 

This change is not necessary. 

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: new @notifications requirements
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL