Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 06:14:49
Help
0 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 
GAME CHANGE: Capping BGs to current max. Started by: Squishy on Sep 16, '11 19:16

Why not reset the game xmad or ny's day nd cap bgs to 100 nd just dont make as many ria's to stop guns been over trained to the bg ratio?

Report Post Tip

Question for Squishy... Was there ever a notion within the site's administration to simplify this BG scenario by drastically increasing the cost & effectiveness of a single BG thus lowering the #'s (cap)?

I remember it being mentioned in several of the old forums but am curious as to whether you gave it proper consideration or not? There's talk of the lengthy accounts here in this thread and it got me to thinking...?

If you upped the importance of owning BG's by making them uber expensive and played with the attributes they give the player - you could then justify an old account having an excessive number of BG's. (Whether bought or paid) Simply put - Same or better protection (per BG) at a higher cost = fewer BG's per account. A scaled down version if you will?

Report Post Tip

"increasing the cost & effectiveness of a single BG thus lowering the #'s (cap)?"

A few smaller problems with this scenario, if we increase the cost and effectiveness of a BG, that means those with the means are able to get them, while those without are not. Also, if the effectiveness is increased per bg, and quantities cut down, then it would be harder to BG wack a BG. Right most people feel they are unwilling to take the risk of shooting bgs, because the amount of work they may lose if caught, if we up the difficulties of BGs, then this increases the amount of work needed to actually shoot and kill a BG. Thus possibly furthering the distance between those with BGs and those without.

At the current price structure, proper networking, proper family, proper reputation, proper work within the family, and proper work for yourself can yield you bodyguards. Increasing the cost of the BGs makes this a little further out of the reach of those who do may not be doing enough of the above in order to get BGs. Is this a bad thing? I don't know, but I just see it as a possible outcome that may have undesired effects that i think goes against what many want.

Report Post Tip

But some random gangster SHOULDN'T be able to go around and buy a BG. From role-play purposes alone, a BG should be provided to them by their CL for protection as a reward for, for example, exceptional service. And they SHOULD be harder to wack, but if, say, a BG has 500 health, that means 5 shots still kill it. You can re-work the way protection works for BGs to offset the more health, maybe instead of 4 hours protection, they only get an hour protection.

To be frank, Bodyguards need to stop being treated like so much disposable garbage, and be made to MEAN something.

But, if you're just looking for quick and easy fixes, here's two. Bodyguards can now no longer be bought unless you're Made Man or higher. Bodyguards lock price at the highest rank your character has achieved, thereby getting rid of this ridiculous "demote to load up on BGs" phenomenon. I have a hard enough time suspending disbelief enough to allow a Godfather to be better protected than the President of the United States, it's BEYOND the bounds of acceptability that a gangster be equally as protected.

Report Post Tip

"But, if you're just looking for quick and easy fixes, here's two. Bodyguards can now no longer be bought unless you're Made Man or higher. Bodyguards lock price at the highest rank your character has achieved, thereby getting rid of this ridiculous "demote to load up on BGs" phenomenon. "

The problem with these two above scenarios is that they are unable to be put in fairly at this time. This would create a huge disadvantage to those who now fall under the new pricing structure as to those who came in before it.

Ideas on an ideal BG system are easy, and all our bases are covered and have been for a very long time, however, ideas on how to fairly put it in now is near impossible.

Ratcheting the BG cap is our current plan, the next step is to see how users respond. Users now see just how effective BG wacking is and are using it, a feature rarely used in years, now finally getting the rust knocked off of it.

"I have a hard enough time suspending disbelief enough to allow a Godfather to be better protected than the President of the United States"

So do I, this is why the cap is set way below the thousands of people who work to ensure the protection of the President.

Report Post Tip

If it being unfair to some players is the only reason you're not instituting either the Locked Price or No BGs Below Made policies, then I'm going to say this for the first time since I started playing this game, eight years ago:

Let it be unfair.

Yes, it will suck that (to take an example from my own crew) Duke was able to take advantage of the demote-load up on BGs move, and someone else won't, but it will make things more fair for everyone as things readjust and characters die and new characters are born.

Right now, there are three options to be able to put a realistic choke on BGs while a real, honest-to-god solution is worked out.

1. Leave it alone, which is the option we're going with now. Because, and I'm not trying to be an asshole or jump down your throat here Squishy - I hope you know that, this BG cap won't accomplish anything. It won't. The only way it could have was if there wasn't a week's delay implementing it, which just gave CLs the chance to get as much money as they can and artificially inflate that number as high as it can possibly go. Even if they just let those extra BGs die because they can't sustain them, the cap's still set at that number so their goal is accomplished. Obviously, I don't know what that number is. But assuming it's ~500... just from an RP aspect, can you imagine the logistics of that? If you're the Godfather of Hoboken and have 500 Bodyguards... what do you do when you have to pee? How can you fit them all in the can with you?

2. Implement a choke, which will be the most unfair option. But it's a real, feasible stopgap until something better is figured out.

3. A reset and then the implementation of one of those two options, or the implementation of a final working solution. Which we all know will never happen, so it's pointless to even talk about.

And as for the point of a Godfather having as much protection as the President... well, there are ~3200 agents in 28 cities nationwide, not all of them are guarding the President at one time, and even if they were... this game is set in the 1920s-1930s, when the protection details were much smaller, so either way my point, I think, still stands.

Report Post Tip

"The only way it could have was if there wasn't a week's delay implementing it, which just gave CLs the chance to get as much money as they can and artificially inflate that number as high as it can possibly go."

The max in the game has not increased, the cap is the same as it was when the thread was made, all the way until the code was put in. No bodyguards were purchased by those at the top. The goal post has not been moved. No one is at 500, no one is even remotely near 500.

Report Post Tip

Yes, I suppose the functional aspects of the game outweigh the RP advantages that less BG's afford. On the other hand, if they were more costly and less effective then it just wouldn't be as fun! Thanks for the proper info. Squishy.

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Capping BGs to current max.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL