Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 01:25:15
Page:  1 
Just a question from a lowly e-gangster. Started by: Indifference on Jun 12, '23 18:10

Hi there,

Just your regular, indifferent guy here.  I find myself in a position of leadership again. While generally not giving a fuck, I gotta say - it hurts a little bit to put 30+ hours of my time into an e-gangster game and have that level called "low". I try to respond to mails quickly.  I trudge along here and there with the daily grind and find a little bit of time to invest in the business district to get my posting points up. If I can get that done in 30 hours - I think that makes me efficient, not inactive.  I admittedly don't spend significant time on chat, or doing community things such as creating site wide competitions.  While I admire those who do - I just don't have the ambition.  I have 3 kids who all play travel sports.  I even coach one of them.  I have a full time job.  I have a marriage I enjoy.  I got a dog that needs a walk every day.  I have to watch hockey (it is the Stanley Cup Finals) and I love to drink beers. These all take precedence over this place.  I fit it in where I can, mostly.  

I was looking for an honest discussion amongst the community about what the realistic expectations are of its leaders in regards to activity. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

The activity level is based on a comparison of all the other uppers at that moment for the activity for the past week, broken down into 9 tiers.  Because of the war, a lot of these people were online *constantly*, thus temporarily inflating the average online times.  Right now the average for an upper is 37.2 hours for a week, but was about 23ish hours before the war.  The lowest upper in the game for the past week right now is 7.4 hours and the highest is over 102.1.  These are not normal numbers, but should return back to normal in a few days.

The only numbers that the game itself pushes by code is 1 hour a week minimum for an upper.  The tiers are not based on hard coded numbers but running averages broken down into 9 tiers so that it can always be accurate based upon the current climate of the game in the past week.

This is a "people managing" social game.  Outside of the 1 hour minimum metric, the others can't be qualified by an exact hour.

Is your family expanding politically, financially, and operationally? 

Is your family progressing without being bottlenecked by rank/influence/backlog?

The #1 cause of death in this game for a member is their choice of leader/district/city they reside under.  If every day you move the needle a little bit more learning towards them willing to die for that very decision, then I call that a very effective upper.  There is no way to quantify that with a neat little display of numbers, but you know it from your own past experience.  You personally have been in crews that you had a blast in, you've been in crews who you would gladly give up a character to do the right thing, and on the flip side - you've also been in crews where you are just biding time until something happens.

Between the 3 uppers, you can easily run an awesome family with shared responsibilities without it being a full time job for anyone. There are multiple roles to fill to run a family, and you don't have to fill them all personally, you have 2 other uppers and an entire crew who could be willing to contribute towards those responsibilities without the title.

So long story short, ignore the tier you are in compared to others, its not a dick measuring contest by hours, its just a gauge to perspective members to find a right fit that aligns with their playing style.  And besides, the current numbers are skewed from the war, check it in a week or two for a clearer look.

Report Post Tip

Thank you for your input Squishy.  I personally, have never put much (if any) weight into the amount of hours spent here.  I tend to look more for the things that you said are important.  Communication, chance for opportunity and a fun experience here in game.  As a rule, I do what I can when I can in MR and the things aforementioned in my previous post have always taken priority in my IRL life.  

I am really looking for some healthy public discourse amongst the community first.  But - what I personally think is that it's not healthy to have my hours spent here posted for all to see.  I don't think that those casting judgement on it have anything but selfish reasons for making it public.  I'd love to be judged wholly on what I do here rather than some number that I think we can both agree doesn't really matter.  You want to call me a bad leader because I took too long to return a mail, or I chose sleep over warring or my family over warring?  Sure.  Be my guest.  What I don't think is that people who generally don't pay attention to the scene here should be able to take 15 seconds here and look at that page and make a judgement on me. They should take the time and mail me their concerns as I will take the time and mail them an honest and comprehensive answer.  If I'm being a lazy fuck, I have no issues being honest and calling a spade a spade.  I'll try and do better and thank them for the feedback. 

I am by no means a code-savvy person.  But, what I think is that a PASS/FAIL scenario like the code that you have written (did I get that right?) should be visible for all to see, not an hour gobbling competition.  Let everything else I do speak for itself, not the hours here. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Just a question from a lowly e-gangster.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL