Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 04:10:53
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Looking Back, Moving Forward. Started by: Cassi on Oct 03, '11 15:29

Cassi sits at her desk, chewing slightly on her pencil as she stared absentmindedly into the dark. As her thoughts wander she smiles softly.

A few months earlier...

'Hey kid, drop that purse...'

Standing there with a purse in her hand, she turned around slowly. The apprehension in her face quickly disappeared as she saw Grif, one of her mothers dearest friends standing there. She grinned as she held the purse just outside of his reach.

'What do you think, I'm just gonna let you benefit from my hard work?? I mean did you SEE that old lady?? She could have beat me to death with that wooden cane of hers!!'

Both of them were laughing as they hugged tightly.

'So I hear you need a place to stay?' he asks her gently.

Nodding slowly, she responded.

'So I hear your looking for good quality members... Sure you want to settle with me??'

She winked at him, still smiling brightly.

Cassi stood up from her desk and walked over to the window. She looked out at the night sky. It was harder to see the stars in the city. She could always think better when she could see the stars. But she was tired of thinking, tired of feeling. She wanted this to not be their reality.

She peeked inside the door of Grif's office in the HQ, unsure of why he had called her in. He motioned to her to come in as he spoke into the phone. She walked over and sat down, waiting for him to finish. When he hung up the phone she could see he was excited about something. She scooted forward on her seat.

'Well?!?!'

He just grinned, it seemed he liked making her wait.

'We're moving.'

She looked confused for a moment.

'Moving?? What do you mean?? What are we...'

Then it clicked. Her eyes widened and she jumped out of her seat as Grif's smile widened, nodding.

'We're taking over Philly!!' he said with much excitement.

Cassi wiped a tear away as she turned away from the window. She walked over to the drink cart and poured herself a glass of whiskey, taking a huge gulp. She closed her eyes, letting the alcohol course through her, feeling the burn and taking pleasure in it, waiting for the numbness to hit her.

'Cassi, what would you say to taking over your own crew.'

She shook her head swiftly.

'I'd say you're making a mistake.'

He smiled, almost laughing at her.

'I wouldn't say that. We lost a good man and I need you Cassi.'

She looked him in the eyes, seeing the faith he had in her, knowing that she couldn't deny him anything. She took a deep breath.

'When do I start?'

Cassi took another huge gulp from her glass, draining it. She never knew where that belief came from. She couldn't understand it and he couldn't explain it. She sank to her knees, pulling the bottle down with her. But for as much as he believed in her, she believed in him. She would have followed him to the ends of the earth. Her loyalty to him was never ending, undying and it came as natural as breathing.

Cassi was sitting at her desk working diligently when Tonks came rushing into the room, out of breath, her face flushed.

'He...There's...and...over...'

Cassi was furrowing her brow, trying to make out what Tonks was trying to say between breaths. She stood up and walked over to the drink tray in the corner of her office. As she was pouring Tonks some water, a gun shot rang out through the air. Cassi dropped the glass and as it shattered on the floor, Tonks straightened up, a look of panic on her face. Cassi grabbed her hand and pulled her along with her towards Grif's HQ. Her heart was racing at the thought of all the things that might be going on in her city. Half dragging Tonks in her panic, she finally reached Grif's office, shoving the door open. She skidded to a halt, her breath catching at the sight. There was her mentor, her dear friend, standing over the body of the Godfather, gun in hand, beads of sweat covering his face.

Grif looked up at her, a huge grin on his face. Her heart was pounding in her chest as he stared at her, nodding. He had done it, he had defeated the Godfather. She threw her arms around him, squeezing him tightly. Then she let go and stepped back quickly.

'There's a speech to be made! Go get yourself cleaned up and meet us out in the streets! I'll see you soon... Godfather!!!'

Unbeknownst to her, he had planned a speech himself. Underboss of Philly. Something their ancestors had only seen as dreams was quickly becoming their reality. She lifted the bottle to her lips, closed her eyes and drank as the tears spilled through her eyelids. When she opened her eyes again, it was morning and she could hear someone calling her name. When she was able to focus, she saw it was ellie. Her eyes teared up again.

'Honey it's time to get ready... Come on...'

Cassi rubbed her eyes, her mouth dry, her head pounding. She shielded her eyes from the light pouring in from the windows and was greeted with ellie's hands holding a glass of water and a couple of aspirin. She looked up at ellie, the tears dropping down her cheeks as she gratefully took the glass and aspirin. She tossed the pills into her mouth and chugged the water. Then she took a deep breath and stood up, wiping her eyes and face.

'I'll be ready soon, have the car waiting.'

'Cassi... Cassi look... look at me...'

Her head was resting on his shoulder. She shook her head for she couldn't bear to lift her face and look into his eyes. She knew there was only a few more moments and then he'd be gone. Gone! How was this happening?!?!

'THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

She screamed against his shoulder. As he started to cough and gasp for air, her head shot up, a look of panic on her face. No, no this wasn't right. It wasn't supposed to be this way!!!! Why couldn't she trade places with him?!?!?! What she wouldn't give...

'It's your turn Cassi. Go get 'em Godmother.'

Cassi slid on her sunglasses as she stepped outside into the light. She stepped into the car and sat silently the whole way to the funeral home, staring out at the world, watching life go on as normal. Walking inside it all felt like a dream. She wished she could wake up. As they called her name she stepped up to the podium.

'What can I say about Grif? He was a great leader, an awesome Godfather and a best friend. He ran his city efficiently and with heart. It is not easy to stand here today and talk about him like this. So I'll keep it short. I was definitely honored to be working under, for and with this man. He helped mold me into the person I am today and I'll be forever grateful. But most of all he was an inspiration. If someone were to ask me today what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd probably say... I want to be just like Grif. I would like to invite you to share anything about Grif. A memory, a story, a joke you shared, just anything that might bring comfort to all those that he left behind.

Never did I imagine that I would be standing here before you, summarizing the life of my boss, my mentor, my friend in this manner. Never did I imagine that he wouldn't be here and I would have to step up and finish the work he started. Philadelphia is my baby now and I plan to step up, picking up right where Grif left off and continue building this city up to what it was meant to be. Thank you all for coming. And again, please feel free to stand up and share anything about Grif.'

Report Post Tip

That was a very sad day for me, since day one I knew I belonged in Grif's crew which eventually became his city. One thing about Grif is if he made a choice you knew it was the right one because he always put the city first. He also was never to busy no matter your rank and would work 1 on 1 with everybody. He was a great mentor and when he passed I felt like a father died.

The funniest story I have with Grif, Cassi you were present for this as well, was when I was appointed sub crew leader and Grif was all like "He is going to name his sub-crew the blue team" and I was like nope I got bigger plans. Grif's response was I'm watching you Caboose.

Two weeks later Pariso starts The Blue Team with me as RHM.

Lets just say the mobmail I received from Grif had a lot of foul words and insults...I laughed the entire day.

RIP Godfather,

And hail to Cassi!
Cent' Anni!

Report Post Tip

Caboose. Thank you for that tale, I knew not of Grifs hatred for Team Blue.

That explains why he never did agree to my conditions. You see, Grif tried to make an honest woman of me and proposed marriage on a number of occassions. Each time I reminded him, I would join him at the alter the day he converts to Team Blue, and only then.

I guess thats why i've lost a friend, and not a husband. Never the less, the loss is still painful.

And thank you too, Cassi. As you know, I wish you all the best and i'm sure Philly will continue to grow and prosper under your guidance, just as it had always done with Grif.

Report Post Tip

ellie bows her head, hiding her watery eyes from those around her, and lets Cassi's words sink in deep. The October air whips at her cheeks, causing a deeper red to blush in them, one not caused by mourning. Still she knows no one would even notice the difference. A deep breath in, a twin forcing its way out painfully, and she lifts her head. She watches as people pass by, unaffected by this loss, this monumental change, and a new sorrow blooms. Waiting just a bit longer, letting that new pain settle over the old, she slowly starts to smile.

"To the cemetery, dear girl," she whispers to herself.

"Home to old friends."

Report Post Tip

Camzilla drops a tear at the thought of having such an amazing person being taken away from this thing of ours.

I didn't really know Grif, nor did I ever speak with him. But I attended the funeral and I've heard many stories in the coffee shops. I believe he was a great God Father and he didn't deserve to go as soon as he did. I'm a very emotional person and for something like this to happen to such a great person brings tears to my eyes no matter how much or how long I knew them.

My prayers are with you and Philly, Cassi.

Cam drops his head and remains silent as others speak

Report Post Tip

Alfredo starts to speak his eyes are all filled up with tears

Grif was a great man i will never forget him, he was a legend and loved by every other leader and family members of all crews that got to know him. I cant explain how much he has helped me in the past and helped philly be the place it is today. We will find it hard to carry on but we will be able to do it for ourselves and for Grif

Alfredo nods and walks off he can't speak anymore as he is very upset

Report Post Tip

Howard like many mafioso, studied the journals of his ancestors, in his lineage's tales there were many stories of interactions between his ancestors and the ancestors of both Cassi and Grif. He read and reread these passages upon heard of the death of Grif due to a malfunctioning gun. Not to impose on Cassi whilst she is grieving Howard Pens he a letter.

Cassi,

Knowing that our families lineage have a very close history, not only my family's past with yours, but with the family of Grif as well. You both are special people, full of knowledge and charisma. It came to no surprise to me when I heard of Grif's ascension to power, holding you in the highest regard as his go to woman.

I was thoroughly gutted when I received the news of Grif's untimely death. Though you and city are in a time a mourning I know that the city of Philadelphia will continue to grow and prosper with you at it's helm. You have been trained by some of the best, and have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. I am excited to see the prosperity of Philadelphia continue to flourish. Always stay true to yourself and great things can come of it.

Kind regards, Howard Wolowitz.

Howard called upon one of the most trusted members of his entourage. I need for you to see that this letter makes its way to Cassi in the fine city of Philadelphia. handing Raul a small wad of cash. Buy some flowers and a bottle of a fine Chablis for Cassi, as well as, some flowers and cigars to leave at the grave of the late godfather Grif.

Report Post Tip

Finally being able to handle having a conversation about her late Godfather Grif, Tonks walks out into the cold Philidelphia air to stand by her very close friend Cassi.  As one last lone tear drops down Tonks cheek she smiles at Cassi, and looks at her with evident pride on her face.  Tonks then exhales once to prepare herself to talk about Grif.

My family and Grifs family have gone back many generations, and have gone through so many challenges together.  When I first heard that Grif would be getting his own city, it was right after my father had died.  I know that the very last person my father talked to before being killed was Grif, and they held each other dear.  I have grown in my time with Grif as a mafioso, and I am so saddened to see that his gun malfunctioned.  A man of great stature, whom was not only doing great things, but heading towards even greater things left the world within the last week.  He was stolen from us, way too early.  I think I will always remember when Grif contacted me to tell me that my father was dead, and that he wanted me to come join him.  I do not honestly have enough time, or words in my vocabulary to describe how honored I feel to have worked for Grif, and to know that he would have taken a gun malfunction for himself to protect his city any day of the week.  All that is left to say about Grif is, Rest In Peach Godfather Grif, you were a great leader, but a far better friend.

Tonks then lets loose a very large smile directly at Cassi.  After smiles at her Tonks leans in and pulls Cassi into a huge, tight hug.

Cassi my dear, our family lines also go way back, and my relatives have also worked for, and with you.  I have been with you since the start of your endevavour as a leader, and now I am here to support you full-heartedly in your ascension to the Godmother of Philly.  I know you will go far beyond everyones expectations, and will fill the huge shoes that were left behind when Grif died,

Report Post Tip

tony pats Cassie on the back before clearing his throat and addressing those gathered in rememberence

It's always a shame when a Godfather has to leave this world, especially since the circumstances are a true shame at that. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Grif personally, I was merely a young thug on the rise at the time of his reign. But like many cases I was aware of him, I knew him as Godfather just as anyone else who roamed the streets of Philly and I had respect.

Looks fondly at Cassi

Just as I have respect for our new Godmother Cassi. I see so many great qualities in her and have all the respect and belief in her in the world.

tony pauses for a moment and fumbles through his coat pocket

And now that ive apparently lost my cigarettes I leave you all with these final words. May Grif's spirit live on and the things he accomplished stay fresh in our minds.

tony wanders off down the street towards a back alley where he knows a guy who knows a guy

Report Post Tip

As a new member I have no old tales to say, but I do have the memory of the only time I ever spoke with Grif before his death. It was the day before

or maybe the day before that, I don't even think I was made yet. Logged onto IRC joined the crew chat, seeing only my name, the bots, and our former Godfather. 

Nervously I typed, backsacing the whole line maybe three times, trying my hardest notto have a bad first impression, "Hello mister Godfather sir." 

thinking to myself that was a stupid thing to say, "Hey there Smiley." =) Not a big moment to some, but surley was for me. 

Godmother Cassi, I do not know you well either but I do know you have earned this position and that you deserve it. =)

Report Post Tip

Ava curtsies politely as she approaches the beautiful and intelligent woman in front of her. Taking a deep breath, she speaks softly and with conviction.

"Cassi, today I mourn with you for your mentor and friend.  I did not kow Godfather Grif, but I grieve your loss with you and your city.

I also rejoice for you, just as Grif would if he were here.  I know that you will be a dedicated leader as well as a humble servant.  

There is no one better suited for this than you, Cassi.  Our bloodlines are forever intertwined, and I know you are up for the challenge

Report Post Tip

What can I say about Grif, except good riddance... Grif'fy boy lived a great life riding on the crest of my hard work, blood sweat and tears, and now that he's passed away our lives are pretty darn good too

On a serious note, I'll never really have enough superlatives to say about the man. He knew how to get the best out of his family and his style of leadership instilled confidence throughout the city. He was my leader, mentor and most of all friend

My time working alongside him as his RH for the Reds, was a time i'll cherish and learnt so much from my time there. Having witnessed first hand just how hard he worked for his family. Always being on hand to help no matter how seemngly trivial, mostly to help Caboose put his socks on.. good times.

On giving me my own family, he kept begging me to revert back to the Reds with the offer of homemade Muffins and late night rides in his Puma. Indeed a tempting offer until he asked me to climb into the back seat with him and call him SIR whilst showering him in confetti.. again good times

It is a lesser place without him but I know he's holding a halo over the city. Guiding us along on our new path, safe in knowledge the city is in good hands

Rest In Eternal Peace Grif, you'll be pleased to know your coffin was draped in the flag of the glorious Blues

Report Post Tip

Grif was my Mentor my friend and the best God Father he work his ass off for his family and always look out for us now i miss this guy alot.

He had leadership like i never seen before even when i first worked under him and he was to gain his own city i was proud to call him my boss.

I have always been with Grif since i first came to this mafia world he taught me alot and i rose to power under his leadership being his first Captain and i am still shock when he told me that me a nobody being me in to the light but that was long again.

I will never let the RedTeam die Puma was always his word well Grif Rest in Peace my friend and always watch over us and the Red Flag will alway burn in my heart to Grif..

Report Post Tip

It's not surprising for most people to see me here today, as the majority of people will know that Grif and I were close. This is a man that I find difficult to summarise in a few words, and if I had the choice then I'd tell you all about how I've witnessed this great man's personality grow. The kind of man that does not forget where he came from, as he proved to me personally as he and I visited one of my ancestors together at the funeral home. He told me a story that his father told him about my Grandfather Cryptic, and how Cryptic had helped his bloodline adapt and grow into better men - starting with Aeolus. Seeing Grif reach Godfather of his own city was one of the more proud moments of my time here. It meant 10x more to me when he accredited part of that achievement to what he learned off me.

Grif was a fantastic man, and a fine Godfather. Rest in Peace to him.

From the ashes rise a Cassi though, another who was very close to Cryptic when she was Eileithyia, another who had a great deal of potential and I am happy to see her get this chance. Good luck Cassi!

Report Post Tip

Paul walked in the room and stood there silent, it took a while till he brought up strenght to speak

You all know that I was his right hand and that I were close with this guy. What I can say about this man, except all the best ,on here he were like a father to me, my mentor, my boss, my godfather, my firend and my brother, he were all in one, when I heard what happen I couldnt belive it, I worked with Grif while we still were in NY, from day 1 I respected that guy as he were the best. If I am to be born again I would again join on with red team with grif and do exact all the same, my loyalty to him always were unquestionable and so it will stay now to his son as well as with Cassi, I am sure Cassi will do as good as Grif did, but this loss of our godfather will never be fogoten, he were respected by all of us, Rest in peace brother... 

Paul started walking out of room, but then he stopped...

I ... I am hust... I am just sorry I wasnt there that day and that I took that bullet instead of him, it would be better for everyone that way...

Paul drinked strong alcohol drink to the bottom looked down in the floor and with sad face he left the room...

Report Post Tip

What happened to Grif has no doubt rocked Philly but under the guidance of my good friend Cassi i am sure the city will soon flourish once again. I know Cassi will do her very best to succeed and the everyoner in the city should be proud to have such a great candidate in charge of them.

Thor smiles at Cassi and slopes back off to the nearest joint that sells alcohol.

Report Post Tip

Grif... was a great man I never got to know. I know he was great because greatness attracts other great people. In my dealings with Philadelphia I've had nothing but good things to say about those in authority and those who support them. Cassi is a great woman and will be a great leader, RIP Grif, I just wish I would've met the man who brought all those wonderful people together.

Report Post Tip

WhereWasI, like his late father, is a real fool.  Every time the formidible Kuklinski line speaks on these Streets, WhereWasI, or one of his mincing relatives, quickly gets involved in ressurecting an aged discussion in a vain attempt to divert attention from Kuku.

Well I got news for you - the game is up!  Your little game has been noted.

Report Post Tip

If I could chime in real quick.

Turns to Kuklinski.

You're an idiot.

Turns back to the people grieving their lost comrade.

I didn't know Grif, but I am sure he was one hell of a leader, coming from NY originally. My deepest condolences to Philadelphia.

Report Post Tip

With all due respect to you guys, I realy think this is not a place for argues and I would appreciate if you end with arguing here, this is place to show respect to our Godfather which saddly passed away, so please lets stick to subject, no insulting...

Thanks

Signed,

Paul

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Looking Back, Moving Forward.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL