Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 05:20:43
Page:  1 
Walking These Fine Lines Started by: Kriminal- on Oct 12, '11 20:16

I find myself troubled as I have encountered a situation that I cannot seem to find an answer for myself.

My question is, where do you draw that fine line between respectfully voicing your radical opinions on the street and embarrassing your family or “making your family look bad?” 

Sometimes things need to be said, even though often times these things may not be something people want to hear.  We all know that purely insulting someone or something can and will probably lead to death, because one has simply been disrespectful & rude.  However, what if you feel strongly about something but your opinion may be one that does not ride with the majority, do you come out to the streets and express that opinion even though “it might make your family look bad,” or would you rather become a mute and swallow your opinions to save face for your family. 

I bring this to your attention because I am in dissonance.  I truly believe that I should make my family look as “good” as I can.  I truly believe that as a member of a family, my personal ambition must not deter the direction that the family wants to head in.  I would hate to be a burden for my family.  But at the same time, I would like to firmly stand up for what I believe in, even though sometimes it may be the path less taken. 

How can or should you find a balance in between?  It is true that the actions of members of a family reflect on their Don.  So is being respectful enough even if your opinion is extremely radical?  Or should you simply refrain from communicating your opinions to the mass if they ride against the tide?

Report Post Tip

If I have a point to make I will always make it - and I'll generally say it in such a way that my point is made without insulting anyone... that's not to say that someone won't take offence anyway, that's their perogative, but I've never let fear of the consequences hold me back from speaking my mind.

And yes, that attitude has seen a few of my ancestors put in the ground. Here's the thing, though: each time that happened, it reflected worse on the CL responsible than it did my forbears. There is a world of difference between:

a) "What kind of fucking idiot are you to think this steaming pile of shit is right?"

and

b) "I respectfully disagree, and here's how I see it...."

My problem at the moment is that there's nothing I feel that strongly about - or at least, those areas I do feel strongly about have already been discussed to death and decided upon (eg, pickpocketing those Made Man and above). There comes a point that trotting out another speech on that topic is futile, so why bother?

Report Post Tip

Dear Kriminal, old friend, do you prefer to say only things other people like to hear? 

That fine line, you ask for, I personal believe that is defined in each crew by its rules.

Report Post Tip

An interesting subject you have broached today but I have to agree with the gentlemen that have spoke before.

We have seen recently two people approach that fine line you speak of. One of them spoke with passion and no matter whether you agreed or disagreed it got you talking and got you looking at yourself in the mirror and asking yourself what you have achieved. It was done in a way which flirted with the line constantly but never crossed it into disrespect.

Then we had a second gentlemen who made an attack on the majority of the leaders, who went so far past the line he was out of sight.

What I am getting at here is this the first gentleman although his speech was thought provocative and spoke his mind. He did it respectfully and nothing happened to him. I look at him and his family and have respect that the reaction was not to turn round and kill him for speaking his mind as he didn't cross that line.

The second man just outright disrespected his family by coming to the streets and talking trash about others.

So to finally answer your question, yes you can speak your mind in a respectful way and still show that your family is one of good stock.

Report Post Tip

McKnighter tips his hat, nodding his head once as he steps up to address the issue set forth.

Honestly, I don't speak out in public. But when I do, it's normally not regarding a debate. So many words can be confused and mixed up with different emotions to display a different message. A joke could be seen as a serious insult on someone's image. People take offense to many things that others may not. It's impossible to please everyone, and you must be willing to upset a few if you wish for your statement to reach the masses.

The best advice I could offer is to treat it as an official argument. Don't even bother addressing the other side directly by names. Take care to give respect, even if it is not deserved. In a quote that we all learned in grade school, "treat others how you want to be treated".

So, I will start another topic within this discussion, regardless of the flak that may occur.

Does rank, position, gun, and or bodyguards allow you to press the boarders of respect and insult? I will take two examples. A man pleaded out to the bored members of our society, and I found plenty of disrespect within, and others have voiced their concern. Yet, that man still lives, seemingly unaffected in the public face. Was it the ratio of valid points to cursing that saved him, or was it that he held a large amount of influence?

Then you have another man, perhaps he cursed more than made valid points, but he was a mere Made Man. A rank today is average. He was swiftly put to an early retirement. A common Button Man. What if he spoke as well as the former man, but was a mere civilian? Would his cries be heard?

So, do humor me as I restate my question, does personal power and position allow you to push your weight around more than one that lacks such?

Report Post Tip

Brushing his chestnut hair out of his green eyes, he looked out on the gathering crowd.  Buttoning his thick wool blend coat he placed his hands in his pocket to avert the chill in the night air.   Walking closer the gathering crowd he nodded at those he knew near by.

The truth is at stages i hold my tongue on the streets or am more tactile what i say or avoid some topics altogether.  I believe if your are going to breach your oaths and endanger your family then is better to be quiet sometimes.

Shivering slightly, he raises his collars to deplect some of the breeze.

The truth is for me, although i could say many things I have to think of my employers and the other members and associates in the city and her allies and think am I selfish enough to risk them all just for my five minutes in the spotlight.  

In general i think a point can be made even if it goes against the grain of society but as long as done respectfully and backed up with evidence.  However,what is said has to be done carefully and without inciting further problems.  I think debate and alternative opinions are fine, they enocourage progress and new ideas but I find at stages people are out to twist things into what they want to take from a matter or misinterpret what is said and can take a discussion the wrong way.

I think some discussions are suprising that arise and can give new opportunity even when people disagree with them but often the discussions that occur are re-hashed, previously tried or in some case cases juvenile in way of attacking people without knowing anything/enough about them or the situation to make such ludicrous claims or judgements.  

At the end of the day It doesnt take much intelligence to provoke arguments or try to manipulate a situation; just often makes a person look bitter, twisted, juvenile and beneath the average intelligence.  Sadly i see this more and more on the streets, is why i try visiting regularly but get careful how far in i get pulled.  At the end of the day sometimes you just play into someones hands being as much of a idiot as they are, they just have a lot more experience of it.

Feeling is time to escape to the comforts of a tavern for an Irish coffee to keep him warm, he nods to people and shakes the odd hand as he escapes the growing crowd

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Walking These Fine Lines
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL