Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 05:21:00
Page:  1 
Those Lazy Bums Started by: McKnighter on Nov 01, '11 18:33

McKnighter steps out of his local coffee shop to address the masses, a puzzled expression upon his face.

So, after inspecting the hit list, it appears someone has a burning passion to wipe out the inactive mobsters in a few families. Why? Hell if I know.

However, it does bring the topic to my attention. What should we be doing with these sort of people? They been on an extended vacation for months, some of them, and are doing nothing but filling in a spot for one's family.

The only pro I can think of is cheating the underground in thinking that a city contains more members, therefore it allows more spaces for Drug Fronts to be bought. This is a rather dirty trick, but you'd be amazed at what people do for an extra buck.

Cons, are clear enough. You're wasting space and it may create a view upon your family that you tolerate slackers. Now, of course there may be conditions involving the other world that call for their undivided attention, but for months in a row? That is a bit extreme, it sounds as if the person has quit on our way of life and ditched with they money they made.

Regardless, I'd like to hear your opinions upon the matter.

Report Post Tip

It makes a huge difference to a family to have active playing members. When you have all that dead weight you feel it dragging you down. Family life is a lot easier and better orhcastrated when the majority of the players are active. I can say from a personal stance that yes life can take you away from this life for months at a time. It happened to me. But hell if my CL would've killed me while I was sleeping I might have been a little ticked but I would never blame the guy. He did what was best for the family and that is that.

The thing that really gets me about these inactives is what if it is a life situation. I talked to my CL about it and that's why I didn't die. I'd pop on every now and again to let him know I was still around just caught up in shit. We may be mafioso but I'm sure a lot of CL's would take something like that into consideration in keeping an IA in the family if they knew why they were gone. If they were gone solely because they gave up well that's a whole different matter.

Hitlisting IA's is an interesting concept. Throws a little money out there, some shots for peoples guns and brings an interesting discussion to the table. 

LucyLu having said her peice strolls off down the street looking for a decent sandwich joint petting her late Aunts frog Mr.George.

Report Post Tip

"Hitlisting IA's is an interesting concept. Throws a little money out there, some shots for peoples guns and brings an interesting discussion to the table."

What's interesting is that the leaders waited until there was $500,000 on their members' heads to kill them... And then they kill them out of the fear that someone else will! My opinion, inactives are lower than dirt, and are only worth the coffin they sit in. What's sad is it took people half a million dollars to realize it. To be honest, if a person is inactive, they shouldn't contribute to the city count for DFPs, or benefit a family in any way. They're just dead men sleeping.

The only part of this I hate is the fact that the leaders who let their members atrophy are the ones being rewarded with both the kill AND the cash.

Report Post Tip

And then they kill them out of the fear that someone else will!

I can assure you right now, none of the deaths that took place from my city today were a by product of any misplaced fear. Nor is it likely that any of the other leaders that decided to take the cash on offer and dispose of the sleeping members did so out of fear. Why shouldn't they make use of someone elses wasted money? They are well within their rights to do as they please in this scenario.

Report Post Tip

I completely agree with GodFather AlabamaWorley. Their families, their choices. Enough said.

One thing to consider is that, it could potentially be a clever way into baiting hitters from outside of your family to take a shot they shouldn't allowing you to potentially get them killed. Less competition. Just something to consider.

Why someone would place these hits with such large amounts of money is definitely a mystery and one that I'd like to find the answer to!

Report Post Tip

Ms. Worley, if the members of a city were to be killed for their inactivity, why wait until the prize was larger than a notch on a gun? If they were to be killed, it was well overdue. If they were not to be killed, it's certainly a tragic sight to see leaders throwing them away for a quick buck. The fact is, something pressured the leaders into executing them today, rather than months ago when they actually dropped into a coma. Did it really take $500,000 to make that decision? If so, you're essentially allowing an anonymous member of our world dictate that timeline in your family. What else could the hitlist affect?

One thing I'm interested in seeing is the outcome of the hits on Made Men and Capos. I understand that gangsters and goombas aren't really worth much, but Made Men who swore to live and die for you? Do they deserve to be killed?

Report Post Tip

Well I can only obviously speak for my own city, but I think you'll find that inactives that have fell on our side were already being rounded up and disposed of long before these hits were in place. So your argument holds no weight on our end. Hence my comment that your jumping to conclusions when you know nothing of the reasons people have for disposing of their inactive members.

Whoever decided to put up those hits only succeeded in rewarding the hitters our city had in place to remove these people already, so thank you whoever you are, you wasted your money and only served to bulge my and other peoples pockets.

You'll also notice, there are several from various cities still on the the list and I wouldn't be shocked to see them remain, no-one cares about the hits themselves and its not forcing anyone to do anything.

I agree with someone elses point, the reason behind it is most likely someone wished to tempt a foolish member of the community into shooting at someone he shouldnt and causing problems. Thus far i've heard of no reports of anyone having fallen for this, though.

Report Post Tip

Brushing the thick chestnut hair out of his bright green eyes, he sighed heavily.  Taking  time to rub his thumb and forefinger against his stubbly chin he looked heavy heartedly on the crowd gathered.

As i sat working through the recruitment process crew the idea of those protected but not working for their family, npms and the number of bodyguards in the game were three of the the main subjects that rotated round conversation again and again.

We live in a world which many of us got into for fame, fortune, respect or fear or possibly more then one.  Having names on the list does enable more profits through bring in the mercenaries we see with NPM tags, increasing the drug front ability and offering defence to some families.  I can understand how attractive it can seem to keep them around, as police, politicians and tribute still has to be payed at the end of the day.

However, i remember a time when you never worked for your family as an associate you were dispatched off or dissapeared and were never seen again and even made members who swore their oath may suffer within a month of not working.  We had a greater influx of experienced and inexperienced people in my eyes wanting to work and less choices of families to join.

Leaning against a crate, he paused for breath and looked over some of the sums on the hitlist.

We join a crew and pledge generally to work hard for our family exchanging loyalties however dead weight creates no profits and can come with a cost.  If someone is no longer working for you they have to be gaining an income somewhere or doing something to maintain their lifestyle unless comatosed; i know my dinner doesnt put itself on the tablle.  If a crewleader feels it is right to make a profit of disposing of dead weight and making a profit I see no problem as the bosses word should be final.

The sad part for me is this seems such a forced move with the amount of cash thrown around and it gives leaders two choice, make a quick buck and train up a members gun or entrap another crew/cities hitter into taking a shot thus removing their hitman and possibly pulling in a compensation settlement.

I can understand a strategy of holding these inactives, increasing your drug front properties and number of npms in some cases however maybe this is part of the problem that has caused inflation, so many bgs being employed by some people and the incomes including  through the drug labs.

I have watched and discussed as many people complained about some of societies problems including wealth, npms, ia's and dfp's.  The truth is many of these things have come and been part of what put us in the position we are now whether seen as a good or bad thing.  The question some may ask is these members and past ideals buffed crews to gain the position now so does it become hypocritical to change things now? are we preventing the gain in the strength of some? are we attempting to cure a malady long suffered and growing as a problem or are we simply at a stage where we have to question the number of families and their status?

I can understand there may have been no instances so far, but i guess a little more money dissapears between the anonymity of contractors and the erosion of dfp's and possibly a few less npms who have already seen their incomes cut and the leaders chasing launderers at personal expense for the deposits.

Report Post Tip

Clarity came forth and smiled at her friends that stood before her. The speech that was just gave was about the recent hit listings. She had looked them over and came to the conclusion that it was a pure waste of, whoever was doing it's, money. She chuckled at the fact they were trying to prove a simple point. At least the point that she saw coming from the hit listing's was simple. Her views could be wrong, but that was how things worked.

Throwing a small wave towards Alabama she then put the list away in her purse.

"To be quite honest I think the whole goal of the hit listing's was to show how leaders are just holding onto members to boost their defense and gun. Obviously, if they were full they wouldn't be keeping these useless people. They would be killing them off to open the door to someone who would actually earn them money, but there is a catch to these inactive mobsters. I'm not going to sugarcoat what I see or think and that is what I have to put worth."

"As stated before, perhaps they are friends that said they were having to leave for a while. I know many people who keep inactive mobsters around because they were informed of this before they left or because their bloodlines go back. What is so wrong with that? Nothing."

Clarity paused as the wind was starting to get a bit too feisty. Turning her head to get her hair out of her face she then continued.

"Yet, now we see these mobsters dying. Fear? Hardly. Free cash for someone who isn't earning any? Yes, please."

"So that is what I have concluded. Your thoughts may differ from mine and you're allowed that, but this is what I see before me. Pretty clear, right?"

Smirking at her pun, Clarity then made her way back over to Ricyn who was patiently waiting for her. The girls had many things planned to do today and they needed to get an early start.

Report Post Tip

I'm not exactly sure what this is all about. Why kill off people when there's no need at the moment? I've seen people come back from a month long coma and shine brighter then most.

Fuck the outside opinion, you need to be doing what's best for you. If you're nowhere near your limit then it does nothing for you to wipe them out.

Report Post Tip

McKnighter nods his head a few times as he oversees the discussions, speaking out again to put in his two cents.

GodFather AlabamaWorley is spot on in a valid point in which I support. Inactives within a crew are dealt with their crew leaders, and nothing else truly matters. The hits only gave them more of a bonus for putting the cement shoes on them, as not only you gain a kill to add to your gun, you also get a little cash on the side.

Now, I can understand keeping those who were already Made around due to the fact that they're actually important. Everyone else below it? Should be clipped, in my opinion. Make room for new blood who will actually prove themselves rather than sit about.

One_Eye also holds his ground with a speech that I enjoyed. Money is money, and we'll do a lot to attempt to get an edge over each other. The more money you have, the more power you can afford.

All in all, I concur. Let the families deal with them, and if you want to throw money at them for doing so, then by all means do so. They might take you up on your offer.

Report Post Tip

I don't really care what happens to those lazy bums, but I do think it is an interesting phenomenom.  Long ago, they were killed as soon as they had been 'sleeping' for 7 days (maybe a little longer if they were made man or over), then when every city got filled with a Godfather and several other families, they were kept alive for months and months, perhaps in the dim hope that they would wake and become productive members of a family. The herd, so to speak, has been thinned a little lately, and so there is, again, little use for the lazy bums. 

Like I said though, I don't really care enough about them to give them much more thought.  And as for them being put on a hitlist.  Doesn't mean anything to me. 

I suppose, now that this debate has gotten me to think about them - as a crewleader I guess I'd be wondering what I could do to limit the number of lazy bums I have working for me. 

I wonder what we can do to keep people engaged so they don't go off to sleep and never wake up.  What is driving them into such a deep slumber?  Is there ANYTHING we can do to make life more bearable for them?  Hmmm.  I'll think on that.

Report Post Tip

Well Charles, if you notice the dates upon which the mobsters last checked in for work, some were well before the recent war took place. Perhaps they grew fed up with the stoic way of business that was being conducted during the time. That would be my best guess for the long-term vacations that were taken place.

Of course, you can never rule out that people have holding in the other realm of life that may call upon them at anytime to require their devotion they give to our way of business. This I understand, and they should be respected in the fact that they have to take care of those issues before fully giving us their attention.

However, my suggest for those who simply went under the radar due to boredom is to hop upon the bandwagon of change. They can make our cities as fun as they want to be, in this new era. Everything is a choice, it's up to them to decide if they truly want it or not.

Report Post Tip

At the end of the day the only person who can say what is to happen to their members without creating shockwaves is the crew leader of that person. I have to say i find it hilarious that someone has chosen to waste their money highlighting the sleepin bums that reside in some HQ's. I'm sure there are some leaders who will use this time to profit, hell why not. It's their members and some mug is gonna pay them to kill their own. Win win if you ask me.

On to the more touchy subject of how long should they be allowed to sleep. This is a tricky one to call, it all depends on the individuals case as to what to do with them. I know for one that my father discussed this with his boss at the time. He was assured that die to the nature of why he had to go into hiding that once he could come out of hiding his place would be secure. Well as secure as his boss could make it. It's dangerous to try and cap a time limit.

Plus at the end of the day, how a crew leader runs their family and looks after their people is entirely up to them.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Those Lazy Bums
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL