Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 23:41:04
Page:  1 
Job Security Started by: Amira on Feb 19, '24 17:20

Everyone was up before the sun. Garrett and Viridia were awakened by the shrill ringing of the alarm clock in Spencer's apartment and begrudgingly got out of bed. Both would require showers and a fresh change of clothes before they could start their respective duties of the day.

Amira awoke herself, as she had every hour throughout the night to check on Spencer and make sure he hadn't developed a fever. To her relief, he hadn't, and he still seemed to be resting comfortably. While she waited for Garrett to come and take over, she went through the Doctor's notes on cleaning and changing the bandages, then sat by his side and simply watched. Her mind wandered back to the days they spent at Lake Mead, when she was coming off the librium. Garrett told her that Spencer barely left her side at all. Part of her was angry that she had to leave his now, but if Spencer understood anything, it was duty. She had always been his duty- but her duty was to the Firm. Today, however, she had a plan to set in motion. Amira reached up and slipped her hand into his, smiling a little. This man had seen the absolute worst of her- the monster she still had the capacity to be- and somehow he still wanted her in his life. That was the thing she'd never allowed herself to dream of. 

Around eight thirty, Garrett arrived to take watch. Amira stood and started gathering her things. She took a moment to glance up at Garrett with a cocked eyebrow.

"And how was your evening with...Gracie?"

Garret avoided her stare, but held a devilish grin on his face.

"Oh, you know, quiet night. Cats are fairly easy to manage. Feed them, pet them, tell them they're pretty- they'll end up curled in your lap all night long."

Knowing Garrett as she did, Amira didn't know whether to take that answer for truth or peacocking; but she was pretty sure she'd find out within the hour. Taking her bag over her shoulder, she leaned down and kissed Spencer's forehead, then ran her hand down his cheek once more before walking around the bed toward the hallway.

"I should be back by lunch, then we'll get him to his apartment. When he wakes up you make sure he stays down. He's not to be on his feet until tomorrow."

"Got it, boss." Garrett called after her. 

-------

Opening the door of her suite, Amira could hear Viridia shuffling around in her makeshift room. 

"I'm back, Viridia- going to hop in the shower quickly."

Amira started to undress, peeling off the clothes she felt she'd been wearing for a week now. She called again through the door.

"Big day for you, yes?"

She grinned a little, only half talking about the meeting with Tyki.

Report Post Tips: 28 / Total: $560,000 Tip

Sometimes you wake up and need a minute or two to process how crazy the previous day had been- Viridia hadn't really felt like that since the first day she'd called Amira for help with the men who'd broken into her dorm room. A lifetime ago.

When she woke this morning, the rush of saving Spencer's life had mostly worn off, although there were still enough endorphins and adrenaline left in her system to counteract all the booze still hanging around from the night before: saving Spencer... meeting Tyki Mikk... screwing Garrett... it had been a day. Still, she grinned as she slipped out of bed, beating Garrett to the shower. She was ready quickly, eager to go meet with Amira and have Garrett check on Spencer. 

Viridia was waiting in Amira's suite in the firm  when her boss returned and headed toward the shower. Once Amira had gone into the shower, Viridia entered the bathroom and sat on the toilet, crossing her legs and starting to use one of Amira's nail files. 

She rolled her eyes in the direction of the opaque glass and the steam rising above it.

"Definitely a big day- if you're referring to yesterday. Though bad timing for Garrett. After operating on Spencer and meeting Tyki Mikk, he had to work pretty hard to make an impact on my day."

Viridia grinned.

"Fortunately, he was up to the task. Still, don't think he's looking for anything too serious. Unlike you and Spence, maybe? How are things with you two?"

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

Scrubbing the shampoo through her hair, Amira's eyes widened for a moment as her grin widened; then she had to blink quickly as some soap fell into them. Neither of them were talking about Spencer or Garrett in a professional sense right now- those lines had perhaps become a bit muddled, but no one seemed to doubt their professionalism to switch from one side to the other as necessary. Still, hearing that Garrett and Viridia had 'blown off some steam' together gave her some happiness.

When her friend brought up Spencer, Amira's heart and stomach felt like they switched places for a moment, and her skin prickled with an almost electric feeling. The smile could be heard in her voice over the sound of the water.

"I think Spencer and I have a lot to talk about when he is up to it, but..."

Amira stopped, having not actually put the thoughts into words aloud yet.

"It feels like letting go of a breath you've been holding entirely too long, and now you can finally take more breaths and keep moving forward. Can you hand me my towel?"

------

Less than fifteen minute later, Amira was dressed and standing at the mirror of her vanity pulling her hair into a sleek ponytail that she would next secure with a silver comb. She straightened herself and looked at the suit she'd selected- a black pencil skirt suit with a black sleeveless camisole under the jacket. It was the most formal one she owned, and Christian Dior on top of that. If that wasn't enough, Amira had added eye makeup and lipstick that was just a shade or two darker than her lips. Today called for more than just the usual.

She stepped out into the front room and slid her feet into her heels, then looked to Viridia with a sly smile.

"Are you ready?"

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

Viridia nodded at her boss. Taking a hint from Amira's formality of dress, she was wearing a black blouse with dark grey trousers and a black overcoat.

"For anything. What's on the docket today?"

Report Post Tip

Amira wanted so badly to say something. She'd actually spent quite a bit of time trying to decide whether she should give Viridia a warning of what was to come- but in the end decided to let Viridia realize everything naturally and process things with the full weight of it all- just as she had. 

So, instead, she gave Viridia a lingering look while still grinning a bit, then moved to the fireplace and took a small black box from the mantle and slipped it into the inner pocket of her suit jacket. Then she started for the door.

"Many things are new today. New friends, perhaps in time new enemies, new things to do...new steps forward."

It was cryptic and she knew it, but Viridia would have to deal with it. For a few more minutes, anyway. Amira opened the suite door and together they walked down the hallway in silence toward the office of the Godfather Chairman of Los Angeles. 

Report Post Tip

Sat at his desk, paperwork covering the majority of the table to the point that any remaining surface area was barely visible, he looked up to the door as he heard the approaching footsteps. Light, two sets, steady pace, Amira and Viridia.

After a few moments, the expected knock came and he heard the voice of Amira request entry for the pair of them.

"You may both enter, Amira."

They both looked the part, as professional as ever. Viridia was still a little timid in his presence, although this was to be expected. Thankfully, Amira had been keeping him fully involved in the younger ladies progress and it was certainly impressive.

"Okay, let me explain the reason for requesting your attendance here today. Amira, as you are aware, I have been reviewing this potential new partnership with Philadelphia, in terms of providing them security and forming a joint network."

Reaching out, he gathered the papers and slotted them back together into a single pile, tapping them onto the desktop to arrange them perfectly. Rising from his seat, he then moved around to the front facing side of his desk and leaned back upon it.

"Viridia, now it's your turn. I would like you to give me your opinion of an operation of this magnitude, coast to coast, how you think it impact our networks and resources?"

It was a test. He wished to see how her mind worked and if she could think about the possible outcomes and goals on a more longer term scale.

Report Post Tip

Viridia kept her head bowed when she entered Tyki Mikk's office- which made it easier to see just how many papers the man had piled up. Her ears twitched at the mention of Philadelphia; although she hadn't been at the initial meeting, Amira had extensively briefed her. 

And though it had been a year since Viridia was a student, she still always did her homework.

Tyki Mikk's question took her by surprise nevertheless. It was the sort of question that Amira got asked, not her. Viridia looked calmly back into the face of the godfather as she thought about her answer. It would be too easy to blurt out whatever came to mind first and ramble something that sounded vaguely acceptable. Instead, she was silent, and she trusted that the godfather correctly perceived her silence as the rapidly turning gears in her mind trying to produce a thorough answer. When she felt confident about her response, she spoke with a calm, measured tone. Other than an initial tucking of a rogue strand of red hair behind her ear, Viridia betrayed no nerves at all.

"Other than the stories I've heard about your initial move to Los Angeles and establishing The Firm, it'll be the largest move the organization has made. To say that it would stretch our resources would be an understatement... the travel and transport alone is a prodigious challenge. Trains and autos each present their own challenges... frankly, this venture will probably require the purchase of a dedicated private airline."

She paced, half in the office and half in the palace of her mind, trying to view the situation from as many angles as possible.

"Obviously we'll need to have more of a presence on the East Coast. Business fronts, local contacts that'll need to be made from the ground up."

Viridia frowned.

"And it's hard to imagine that our operations here in LA won't be negatively impacted. Amira can't be in two places at once, and our organization is already undertaking an ambitious number of projects. We'll need new people, too. It's a lot..."

She tilted her head.

"But despite the logistical challenges, it's clearly a worthwhile venture. Shared economic interests- and the opportunity to build bonds- with Philadelphia is a no-brainer. Expanding territories where we have financial interests is the path to exponential growth."

Excitement started to crreep into her voice.

"But since our focus is the security end of things, we can at least focus our efforts- and let Philadelphia handle their end. With the increased need for manpower, we can set up recruiting networks to handle more men than we've needed before."

Viridia glanced at Amira and smiled- it was a new idea, but one she felt confident floating.

"I was thinking that we could work within veterans groups. There's a subset of young GIs in their twenties and early thirties that came back from the war and had trouble adjusting back to civilian life. If we make inroads with these groups, we'll find the troublemakers that feel lost in this society... ones that are already trained as fighters and guards by good old Uncle Sam."

Suddenly realizing how much she'd spoken, Viridia bowed her head again.

"Ultimately, sir, in my opinion it'll stretch us... but it's achievable, and it's worth pursuing for such a great reward."

Report Post Tip

As a cool smile spread over Amira's face, she was not one bit surprised at Viridia's astute and thorough answer. When they had gone over the particulars of Ray's meeting, Viridia had asked a lot of thoughtful questions, clearly taking in the information that was coming her way with careful consideration. It was easy to see how she had been at the top of her class in school. 

What did surprise Amira, however, was how close she had come to touching on the one part of the plan Amira hadn't shared with Viridia. The part that would not only make this partnership successful, but would make L.A. nigh untouchable. But that part would wait just a few more minutes. 

Amira gave her once-protege a simple nod, then returned her attention to the Godfather. For Amira, there was no question- Viridia was ready. There was hardly more that Amria could teach her. The rest would come with experience and asserting herself among the players. Soon, she would be not only a respected mover- but one of The Firm; the best of the best.

It wasn't hard for Amira to keep an even, sometimes stoic expression; but inside, she was like an older sister bursting with pride.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

As he stood and listened, he watched Viridia start to think, her brain quickly processing all the small details and surrounding info, almost like she was getting lost in the chain of events. He could only smile, turning to Amira as she lifted her hand to her lips to hide the chuckle whilst looking back to him. As Viridia continued, he watched her more, almost like she was about to pace up and down the room formulating all the intel she had, her mind beginning to get even further lost in time as the vivid images of the plan before a reality before her very eyes.

Taking a step towards her, he gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Viridia. You may stop there. Sometimes, we must force ourselves to not analyse the situation too fast, but identify the key areas which will be effected by the actions and then work out a smaller plan for each of those steps, later on. You have done well though and satisfied my curiosity. I'll be frank, I already felt like you would but it was still nice to see that happen before my very eyes. So, this leads me onto my next point."

Turning, he walked back around to his desk and opened the larger bottom drawer, removing a small black decorative box from it. Returning back to his former position in front of her, he smiled and held it up before her.

"Amira cannot run this operation alone. She will require the assistance from someone that she not only trusts, yet someone she knows is fully capable too. That person, shall be you. Yet, in order to be fully recognised as a direct representative of The Firm, you shall not do so as a Wise guy."

He opened the small box and rotated it to face her, revealing a beautifully crafted signet ring, bearing the symbol of their family.

"This is for you. It will symbolise that you act on my behalf, as a Made member of our family now. I hope you understand the true value of this and wear it with pride, Viridia."

Report Post Tip

Viridia grinned at the hand on her shoulder, then looked into the eyes of Tyki Mikk and bowed her head.

"I apologize, sir. I might have gotten a little carried away."

When the boss removed the black box, however, she grew very still. As Tyki opened the box, Viridia's eyes grew wide and her breath caught in her throat. After throwing a furtive look at Amira, Viridia bowed her head. For once, she was speechless, and it took her a moment to recover.

"Thank you, Godfather. It is... it's an incredible honor. I will wear it with pride."

Report Post Tip

The corners of his lips raised into one of those rare smiles. He was proud of not only all that Viridia had shown to reach this point, but also the ongoing growth of Amira.

Returning to his desk, he turned the leather chair before finding his perfect spot of comfort once more, weight pressing down almost as if the item recognised its Master and was bending to his proportions precisely. Resting his elbows on the table, his upright fingertips joined together, the shape like that of a pyramid as he then leaned upon its tip.

"You are both aware of how this joint operation with Philly can effect our net growth out here. Its not just financial gain, its ensuring that we slowly begin to spread our reach further, for the businesses and small time operations to understand completely that these Cities are run by La Cosa Nostra."

His eyes glanced between them both as they listened.

"Everything that happens, we should know. If people are making cash, we need a cut. Nothing happens, without our knowledge. Is that clear?"

Report Post Tip

Amira nodded, fully understanding his concern- but already having the solution in mind. It was time for her to pull the trigger on a plan she'd had in mind for weeks. Having never asked Tyki for a favor- especially one of this magnitude- Amira knew that having solid reasoning behind her request was important. And although she knew well enough of his soft-spot for her, she needed this to be done the proper way.

Stepping forward a bit from where she was beside Viridia, Amira took a breath and squared her shoulders. She met the eyes of her Godfather; the man who had very literally saved her life only a handful of years ago and brough her up to become a woman with more power and influence than she could have ever imagined in her youth. It was this woman- the sharp, intelligent, and forward-thinking Consigliere that spoke to him now.

"Tyki, I believe that I have something that will turn this area of concern into an area of strength. The reason our security is so tight is thanks to some very good advice from someone with unmatched experience. You might say that I consulted with the best in the nation when putting some of our policies in place. With this new initiative with Philly, we are going to need to expand our manpower, like Viridia said; and that is going to mean hiring and training, not to mention vetting those we bring on. To do this, we need to make absolutely certain that our top players are directing the process."

She placed a personnel folder on Tyki's desk and slid it to him. It wasn't one of the inside family, but one of the civilian hires.

"I want Spencer. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army. At the time of his retirement, he commanded a battalion of 1300 Special Operations soldiers. Spencer is the one who advised me on the security policies we have in place now. If we put him in charge of building the security forces we need for this new arrangement...Tyki...you're going to have your own army."

Amira gave him a steady look. She knew that he would see where her heart was with Spencer; but she trusted that Tyki knew that Amira had the family's best interests just as close. 

"Will you consider bringing Spencer into the Firm? Fully?"

Report Post Tip

He sat, pondering her words for a moment as his elbow rested on the arm of the chair, chin firmly held within the grasp of his hand. As his fingers began to tap his face, deep in thought, he then reached out to take a hold of the folder she had placed in front of him. Whilst he was already extremely familiar with Spencer and his background, the documents held within went into far greatly detail about the mans accomplishments.

As she had already explained, his talents were extensive and having him on board would most certainly ensure their operation was given the exact reinforcement it needed. 

"Hmm, this is most certainly impressive."

Placing the folder back down onto the desk, he closed it and pushed it forwards, ready to give his answer.

"As much as the thought of an army is quite appealing, having that many people working for us just screams trouble. We need security, we need soldiers, we need them trained, yet I want those numbers limited. Quality over quantity you could say. If we were to bolster our forces to these grand numbers, the chances of informants sneaking in, undercover agents, it becomes too much of a task to track. I do not wish to have our work compromised due to the fact that we got careless and expanded too quickly."

He looked up at her, now smiling.

"However, Spencer is the right man for this and he shall become one of us, officially. When you see him next, I want you to advise that his services on this operation are now fully approved, but I want the workload expanded slowly and for each person to be vetted with the utmost care. In addition, tell him to come pay me a visit and I will discuss with him personally about his direct inclusion in our family. You will be present for that meeting too. Understood?"

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Amira gave a single nod, lowering her eyes with grateful respect. When they came up again to meet her boss's again, there was a small but stifled smile on her face. 

"Thank you. It will be done."

With the decision made and plans solidified, Amira felt the wheels of this new machine beginning to turn. Turning to Viridia, she made a motion toward the door. It was time for the two of them to get to work. Perhaps after a quick celebratory drink. But, before she completely turned for the door, she looked back to the desk and to Tyki. For some reason, her mind took her back to a safe house in Las Vegas- two nights after her brother had been shot right in front of her. At the time, Tyki was Right Hand in the Stargazers organization and she was a scared little girl. Now, she was his Right Hand- at least for the time being- and helping him build an empire. How the years had changed her.

Her smile widened a little and her eyes twinkled a bit, then the two women headed toward the door. 

Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $80,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Job Security
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL