Get Timers Now!
X

May 01 - 22:34:40
Page:  1 
Member Whoring and Recruitment Started by: Mr_Blue on Dec 04, '11 07:11

Years ago, my family walked these steps.  Recently, my family came back around to see what it was like around here.  Several people introduced themselves.  Yet, nobody recruited my father.  It matters not who he was.  But, there was no real attempt to make him feel welcome and invited into a crew.  This leads me to my point . . . there is a difference between member whoring and recruitment.  My father experienced neither.  And, now they're dead.

Report Post Tip

Like most things, it takes practice, to understand and be able to convey in penned form, the difference between whoreing and recruiting, between conversation, and meaningless chatter.

I do think though that while they may not know that there is a better approach, that most do mean well. So consider, if you might, offering polite suggestion, or guidance to those who perhaps, could have greeted you in a manner more eloquent and befitting, of a leader, sponsor, potential mentor, etc...

We all are working toward the same goal, and will all need help along the way. Even the new guys, have plenty they can teach us :)

Report Post Tip

For instance, using improper grammar in the streets! No where is my speech, was there need for a colon or parenthesis, yet there it is!

Report Post Tip

*Hot_Lips stubs out her cigarette as she listens to Mr Blue make his speach and wonders if she understood correctly.*

Mr Blue, you say there was no real attempt to make you feel welcome and invited to a crew. Forgive me but it is not their job to do so, it is yours to make yourself known and to show you have potential, loyalty and commitment. It is YOUR job to value yourself to eventual leaders and not the other way around. When you do so, then conversation leads to what you search for and that is safe haven in the family of your choice.

I do agree there was a problem with member whoring at one point, however, it is up to us to make our own way and not expect to have it given without a bit of sweat.

Report Post Tip

The world has truly changed so many times. THE_SINGERS own bloodline witnissed some pretty monumentous times that were polar oppisites of other times.

If i may Mr_Blue. Life has changed plenty since the time of your father or even my father. In event you dont believe me i will tell you there once was a time, and this may have been when your father was alive, that member whoring was strictly forbidden. You whored you died of an STD, Shot to-the Dome. Yeah i just made that up. In other instances Whoring was as acceptable as any populated cities redlight district. There was also a time where those new to this life had to approach those that were given leadership responsibilties.

I think overall many bloodlines have come to an understanding that its not as much about quantity as it is over quality. Take me for instance, i dont even approach people that are to conterversial in their first 48 hours of entering the scene. I often wont approach people who speak in the streets before they talk with any passerby. Just how i do things i guess.

I do believe that people should always be approched and spoken with. Im not the biggest supporter of "Member Whoring" because i to like so many members dont care to invite random men to fill our Headquarters. I want to know the people i want to have conversations with them and know that they wont go out their and tell everyone in the streets that i run around in the family bar wearing Heart Shaped boxers and singing random songs. Its what i do, its how i roll and i dont want people knowing that i do that.

Oh ok well im going to leave now i hope this help or brought some sort of comfort for the passing of your father.

THE_SINGER rips off his pants and runs around the streets singing in his heart shaped boxers.

Report Post Tip

Having had experience of sorts handed down to you by forefathers, then you really should have had the knowledge to use those conversations made to your father to gain access to a family. You should also have known where and how to find families and their leaders so as to ask for a place of safety in their home.

The good thing is though, this has not put you off attempting again, and I can see that you have found your way around more swiftly than your father.

Lesson learned it seems

Report Post Tip

Mr_Blue, like Hot_Lips said, if your father wasn't approached offered an invitation, maybe he should have asked for one. Very few people talk to civilians just to get to know new people. Yet many people will refuse to offer an invitation and instead wait for the invitation to be requested.

Report Post Tip

Well my bloodline has only been recruited once in the time its been on these shores that has been noted by my ancestor's diaries and at the time my ancestor didn't even realize thats what it was since they were being vague to avoid any accusations of member whoring. Also some people just aren't flashy enough to be recruited so they have to put the work in to find a place thats appropriate for them by looking at the people in charge and doing some research on which crews and cities fit their personality and ideals.

If a person takes charge of their future and looks for the ideal fit for their services then aren't they more willing to enjoy their time in this thing of ours anyway? A little bit of initiative goes a long way in this thing of ours I find.

Report Post Tip

It's a touchy subject, really. You have your oversensitive pricks who scream "member whore" when you send them a mail while they are unsponsored, and you have those that enjoy the RPing involved in attempting to recruit. I consider member whoring one liners, just sending an invite. I apologize that you received neither from a crew, but perhaps Ashes is right - you could approach a sponsor of a crew you desire to join as a last effort before losing (-48). 

Report Post Tip

Civ listens to MrBlue in disbelief...

MrBleu... to come out here and ask why the Crew Leaders or anyone else has'nt contacted your father? A father that is very young in age i assume. One that has'nt done anything for anybody yet. Is... quite surprising to me. Yes... i go for rides in my limosine from time to time and talk with some of the off the boaters i see hanging around. And... if i like what i see and hear, they may get lucky and receive a offer from my part. If... i like what i hear and see that is. Member whoring is taking somebody in without even talking with him/her, without getting to know him/her first. A young thug should've be waiting for a invite... he should try to learn about the different cities and leaders and try to make a good first impression. One that will lead into a friendly invite. There are ways in doing things... i for one do not contact every newly fresh off the boater to gain a new member. You see... i always prefered quality over quantity. I hope you understand the difference between member whoring and recruiting. Also... i never recruit... i hire people. There is a slight difference there also, this is'nt the army.

Report Post Tip

A young thug should've be waiting for a invite... forgive my little error here... i meant to say should'nt... not should've. Obviously!

Report Post Tip

I see your points.

Report Post Tip

Back in the day, according to my forefathers, you never got recruited, whored, etc. It was up to you as a new person in this world to find the right leader to join up with and go to work for. It took effort. The smart young thugs would take time to listen to the leaders speeches in the streets, talk to some of their members and then speak to the leader themselves. Then when speaking to a leader, the hopeful associate needed to impress said leader to get an invite into the family.

Nowdays, we've just gotten lazy it seems. So much pressure is put on filling crews and making money for bodyguards, that some no longer have to care who they recruit. If these new people screw up, they wind up dead. Who cares right? On the flip side, the young people no longer have to make a good impression. There's plenty of people that will take them as they are...whether good or bad. Then you get some of these new thugs, like the one we had in the streets the other day complaining that they left their family because it wasn't right for them.

If leaders, and new associates alike, would set higher standards, then a lot of these issues would solve themselves. Stop recruiting just anyone. Stop joining just anyone.

That's my two cents...

Report Post Tip

Gonna have side with the Hot_Lips on this one.  My bloodline comes from a time when there were so many fresh faces walking these shores that if you weren't part of a family within 25 hours of landing on these shores you likely had a pair of cement shoes on instead.  The onus was on the new blood to seek out a family to work for and in return have some semblance of security.

Now I know things have changed and there aren't quite as many new faces around yet I still believe the onus is on the new blood to make themself seem like a viable candidate for a family.   What family would want a recruit who expects a invitation rather then work for one.   It does not look good on there character because perhaps that is just there general outlook: expect things given to them rather then work for it.

This is not a direct comment on you, Mr Blue, rather it is just a general comment on recruiting and whoring.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Member Whoring and Recruitment
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL