Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 08:51:52
Page:  1 
48 Hours to decide the rest of your life Started by: Ashes on Jan 05, '12 22:23

We all know that every new comer has 48 hours to join a crew or perish. Most of us take this rule for granted but can we really expect true newcomers to know about this before hand? I mean, every once in a while we get the occasional novice that thinks it's ok to just leave a crew and go to another... Hell, I've had a Capo once take in a Wise Guy from another crew so I guess I am also to blame for that kind of thing. I play by the same rules as we all do, if a guy leaves my crew without permission he is as good as dead, but every time I see this happen, I can't help that a part of me thinks that we were partly to blame since we don't really tell them beforehand that they have to stay for life in the same crew.

A question I'd like to ask is the following. Do we really put it in the crew rules that you cannot leave the crew? I get the feeling we take that rule so much for granted that we don't even write it or say it anywhere. At least nobody I ever heard of, as far as I can remember, had a rule about it in their HQ walls.

Yet, as soon as we hear about a mere thug leaving a crew, most of us expect him not to receive an invitation or to be killed if he goes to another crew. Maybe we would make some exceptions for thugs, but would any CL expect anything other than death for, let's say, a goomba leaving the crew?

On the other hand, if we expect such level of loyalty from such low ranks, then why do we say that anybody under the rank of Made Man is practically dirt and not worthy of so much respect. In theory, they have the same level of commitment to the crew as any other member. Don't they?

Furthermore, a new bloodline that arrives to this place is expected to make a lifelong commitment in less than 48 hours. Why do we expect such a level of commitment when there is clearly not enough information available to make such decisions? Is it because life is not worth that much when you're not even a Wise Guy? You can just disappear and come back again as a thug under a different alias and join a different crew, so maybe that is why we become so territorial with our members.

Yes, I know, if you actually spend 48 hours non stop asking questions, reading transcripts, talking to people, 48 hours is plenty. But many of us will dedicate just a few hours and then expect to get the ball rolling. Is this one of those things that we sacrifice to make the world of ours more manageable?

I'm not going to claim to be very knowledgeable about traditional mafia. I am just doing my best to keep my boss Stallion happy and my own crew motivated and active. If any of you out there has some insight about these questions I have asked myself so many times, I'd appreciate if you took the time to stop by and share your opinion.

Report Post Tip

Nothing is ever questioned in your crew. Your sponsors are knowledgable and helpful. Maybe us New Yorkers know how to take care of our own. I am complete agreement though.

Report Post Tip

Ashes my dear fellow, lets not forget that when someone tries to sneak out of your HQ, there are big warning signs that advise them that they MAY be hunted down and killed for leaving. I don't know about anyone else, but spotting a sign like that would indicate to me that my actions might not be received very well.

I think we have to allow people to also learn a few things the hard way, it makes for a much more interesting experience for them. Seldom will people make the same mistake twice, especially when its a big enough mistake to cost them their life. (well, obviously they then can't make the same mistake.. but you get what I mean, future generations of that persons family would learn from their ancestors mistakes and not repeat it)

And with regard to the whole 48hr thing that we enforce. Its common knowledge that many people are approached as soon as they step off the boat. Personally I look people up and down and see if they look familiar, if i'm uncertain whether or not they've been on these streets before then i'll drop a note in their pocket as i'm passing, generally the note will explain whats expected of you within that 48hr period and also gives directions to News And Info Avenue where they can see the secret message board for Mafioso Recruitment.

I don't think its asking too much to even expect these people to find that street on their own, I only give them a helping hand in the off chance they would be the 1 person that struggled to reach it.

Thats my two cents on the questions you posed, though I hope you don't mind if I take a seat and listen to others views on this subject, as I too am intrigued to hear what others have to say.

Report Post Tip

Well Ashes, interesting topic you have there. I always believe that people should read between the lines. In mostly every family there is rules about Omerta, there is rules about things that goes on in a family remains in a family. So... what happens if someone leaves. Both these rules are broken, because their new leaders will ask them questions and they will answer. I dont believe that they would stay faithful to their ancient leaders, why would they? Although it is not writen on paper that if one leaves their family's they will die, they should be aware of the danger. Ortherwise there would be no need for rules about Omerta... if that makes sence to you. And if my members do want to leave my family, i sure as hell would want them to come to me and ask for my blessing. Button men or not, they should know how to act descently. Have i not saved them from beeing shot at when they joined? They learn pretty quickly they need to find shelter, surely they must know that they owe me something for providing them this security.

I really dont think that i as Crew Leader would need to change my rules in regards of this. If they go through my rules by really reading them, they will know that i am one to know what goes on in my own family. If they want to leave, they just have to ask. But this brings me to another subject in parallele, since they are new they know nothing about the family that they join. Until they joined, then they learn things that pleases them or disapoints them... it is like gambling. This guy seems okay.... hmmm, i wonder if i will hit the jackpot. I think it is up to the Crew leaders to keep them interested after they joined. As Crew leader, i am taking a risk when i welcome someone in my crew, as they are taking a risk when they join. It is a risky business which is why the price to pay is high. As Crew Leader, i can end up with a bad apple that will cost me money and a bullet maybe. As my members, they can end up with a bad Crew Leader and want to leave. Good thing though, i am the Boss not them. As it should be!

Report Post Tip

Very good topic.My ancestors have seen people jump ship during and after wars even Made plus members.I always scratch my head thinking okay maybe they want to live a year or two.But how can that person ever be trusted or loyal to a crew.I don't understand people who let them come and go.It seems this day and age maybe is not bringing forth the same quality of up coming mafioso.Is there a way to stop it completly?Honestly I do not know.

Report Post Tip

My two cents here, if I may. When my grandmother died, my mother came to these shores. She recieved a number of offers for a place in this world, and allowed herself some time to make a decision, taking up possibly 36 of her 48 hours. She found a crew which had some old family friends in it, and replied to their offer, asking for an invitation to join them, but as the Sponsor was offline for longer than 12 hours, my mother died before she found a crew. This turned out fortunately for my family in the end, however my mothers story has made me wonder for some time if it may be more productive for people to be granted 72, rather than 48, hours to make such an important decision.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: 48 Hours to decide the rest of your life
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL