Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:09:25
Page:  1 
I'm sorry. What is the "mafia"? Started by: ThirdSun on Jan 12, '12 00:00

I keep hearing around these streets many of you wise guys and made men speaking of this "mafia". I thought we take an oath to obey the Omerta, the code of honour & silence as well as never speak of this thing of ours in a way to imply La Cose Nostra as what the feds call "the mafia". I think we should start respect the commandments we have sworn to obey and omit this word from our language. Let us take note that many wise guys before us have established a code of living that we must hold dearly to our hearts and respect with all that is in our souls.

My two cents. Take it or leave it.

-ThirdSun-

(If somebody could WACK! the failed thread below - by accident pushed me keyboard too quickly. Thanks mate!)

Report Post Tip

*La Cosa Nostra (SP) Sorry.

Report Post Tip

Our world may be labelled with many different names. People outside our circle have no comprehension of the make- up and power that we as a society hold and this is how it should be.

I am at ease with the terms used by the lower ranks simply because of one reason, and one reason only..........they are part of the organisation, tied by the organisation, and committed to live or die by the organisation. It is not a slant on our way of life for someone within to refer to this thing as something other than Cosa Nostra.The world is changing in many ways and the youngsters have differing ideas and interests which should not only be tolerated, but also catered for as time passes by.

I thought we take an oath to obey the Omerta, the code of honour & silence as well as never speak of this thing of ours in a way to imply La Cose Nostra as what the feds call "the mafia". I think we should start respect the commandments we have sworn to obey and omit this word from our language.

The code takes many differing guises, as any established member will confirm. The code extends far beyond what may be deemed necessary in order to grow and prosper within our society. I myself would never openly question the actions of my Godfather, as this only undermines his authority and could also sow seeds of doubt as to the unity of the city. I would question the intent, and the commitment of anyone who would do so, particularly a member of the lower ranks, who would choose to do so openly within the streets. I have no problem with such questions asked to senior members of the family, hands or even their crew leader, which is the place to air such inquisitive thoughts.

Actions such as that would raise my blood pressure, not some kid referring to our beloved foundation with a name other than that to which at some point many will swear their lives to.

Report Post Tip

I understand. My father and grandfather both were well connected in this thing of ours. I simply asked a question to the streets and wasn't trying to go in over my head. Sorry mate.

Report Post Tip

I guess I'll be the first to comment on you bemoaning the use of the term 'Mafia' whilst simultaneously mispronouncing La Cosa Nostra?

Either way, it's a little bit of a myth that Omertà extends so far into our everyday life. Personally speaking, if my associates can our business among ourselves - whether this is specific family business within the family or whether it's 'wider' business away from the cops.

Omertà is a term the arguably came about in the Italian middle ages, and of course the definition has evolved countless times since then. In our way of life, not cooperating with the authorities, doing your time like a man and taking your family's secrets to the grave with you is enough for me to consider you a man of honour who abides by the code. Frankly, if you're doing that you can call 'our thing' The Mafia, La Cosa Nostra, or 'Guido and Vino's cockamamie cavorting' for all I care.

It's also worth noting that that nothing is truly set in stone in our way of life. For example, the infamous Chicago Mobster Johnny Roselli was even credited in early holywood gangster films as a 'producer' or some such; something the more hard nosed moustache petes could class as the breaking of Omertà, and yet he was honoured above many in the Windy City.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: I'm sorry. What is the "mafia"?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL