Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 08:51:49
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Empty streets are bad for business. Started by: Don_Dimitri on Jan 18, '12 00:57

See, you, rathbone have given me a chance for debate, so i will ask you this... Did you know speaking in the streets improves your 'vision'? And your sight is obviously important when you're trying to find someone. So is speaking in the streets really a waste of time? There are important things to do in this thing of ours, but why not hold a speech until that post office opens? You say there are more important things to do, but in the past, it was the most important people who spoke in the streets.

Here was my point: Over and over and over again, emphasis is put on speaking in the streets. Yet, how much of what is said is relevant? How much is a true catalyst for change? You say that it was the "important people" of the past that used to speak in the streets. True. And how many of them put such emphasis on protecting their families or earning for their leaders? You see, while speaking in the streets is benefitial (yes, I understand that getting out into the streets helps you to see more people passing by), I don't believe it should be quite the emphasis that the plethora of speeches already made on this topic suggest. As I said before; if you would like to see a change, create it yourself. Rehashing a topic that is gone over and over again isn't going to change that, though.

I'm assuming this is in direct reference to the discussion at hand, but this comment (or something along these lines) is often used to belittle debates on frequently talked about topics. That's something that I don't like, as I'm sure the majority will agree. Ultimately, I feel the streets are in a pretty solid state at the moment, but the dead horse argument is always a non starter for me. Some of the most talked-to-death speeches still present some of the most heated platforms of debate despite the fact they are among the oldest topic of conversations. Someone will always find a new angle, and I generally always find 'old' debates very interesting.

As I said, talk about whatever you like, but don't expect change to come about from the same old speeches. You may find them interesting...I find them tiresome. The fact is, you don't have to walk very far down the street to find the exact same speech. Want to talk about it? Great. Why not join in the conversation? Why start a new speech on the same subject? Sure, I think we all know why, but alas, why not be creative (the very thing this speech was asking for) and say something else if you must start a speech of your own?

Report Post Tip

There are many benefits to coming out here into the streets, and you can see that the people at City Hall are also trying to do their part in encouraging us to be more vocal. For instance, you don't get to brag to the public about how vocal you are within your HQ any more.

However, just as much as the benefit is, it also comes at a cost. We have people who are so much into debating and proving they are better than the next guy that they come on too strong criticizing and tearing other people's opinions apart so that can put off newcomers to express their opinions. Maybe even an experienced mobster doesn't feel the need to expose himself to be over-analyzed and having to defend everything he says.

It is also time consuming to have to keep up with the streets and voice your own opinion and in most crews you can make it pretty far without even setting foot in the streets so it's all a matter of deciding where you invest your resources.

As far as Sprozza's comment. I agree with the fact that we can stop criticizing people for reliving old debates. Yes, we run the risk that people with nothing to say will just try to get some notoriety with some cliches but by trying to get people to only come up with new topics, we run the risk of putting off most people that could actually have something interesting to say. We can all just listen to the first words said and draw the conclusion that we are not interested and just walk away having wasted only seconds of our lives.

Report Post Tip

For some people who go back long periods they simply see a lot of re-hashed versions of the same old arguments or questions and just pass it by thinking how many times have i seen X,Y and Z said.    My family line have done so in the past as only so much can be said on most topics before we hit a wall the quietness of the streets at stages and member whoring being the big two for me.

If i was asked is street speaking is the most important thing, i would have to say no.  I believe leaders should promote it and could be used as a specific part of being made but i think leaders, lhm's and rhm's should be busy enough protecting, organising and expanding the family.  Depending on the size of the family also, educating members if not delegated to others.  Also with the number of people targetig bg's i am sure a crewleader would combine the use of being in the public eye and organising his trusted members hoping he can see more through these acts.

In these ways if a presence in the street is not just encouraged but rewarded a crew can remain vocal and bring life to the street, with the supervision of a leader but without need for him or her to constantly show his facel; but thats just a personal version.  As i slowly rank i will try and make appearances on the street but depending on my duties to the family as time passes the family will come first.

Report Post Tip

You brought one good angle to the debate, Liza. I never liked when people draw the conclusion that anybody who avoids the streets is a lazy mute. I am sure most Crew Leaders do a good job ay keeping in touch with their members (I am sure there are a few dumb enough to ignore their hard working members, but that will come to bite them in the ass soon enough).

The fact that some leaders don't come to the streets, doesn't mean they are lazy, or even quiet. It just means they don't have the time or willingness to make public announcements all the time. It probably means they are consumed with organising and keeping their own crew motivated, as you said it yourself, Liza.

Report Post Tip

Sir best question ive heard in a long time and honestly I have no anwser for tht

Report Post Tip

Consider this. Certainly, a lively speaker is a good thing for this world. Which would you prefer, one lively speaker, or ten people who add nothing to the streets.

I consider that each well written story is a good addition. A speech that provokes thought. People acting out some event that has happened to them. these things add to our streets. But if all you see is random pointless drivel, well, I'd stop looking for the good topics of conversation. So I'll take the number of speeches etc. that I see now instead of adding more speeches with less content.

Report Post Tip

As I roamed the streets this morning, it was quiet and not many were awake (maybe thirty?). I noticed several officers, several leaders, and the rest were Goombas and below- scurrying around, trying to get thier work done. Three of the people on the streets were fresh off the boat to visit me as I have been here a few months and invited them to see this great thing of ours. With the popluation on the streets being lower, and generally made up of the lower ranked, would you expect more to be speaking in the streets? Shouldn't they listen first and learn more before speaking? -Or should they just jump up to the podium, speak and then be ripped apart due to thier (or our) ignorance? And would they stay after that? My very first impression of speaking in the streets was to do so cautiously. I would think that- there being less people in the streets would mean less speaking in them.

Perhaps the leaders should be the ones speaking in the streets -but then again, so many are also in the streets saying that the leaders should be working to build the cities up. Should they now stop to tell us stories? My mother spoke to me of this land before she died a year ago, and she didn't have a lot of survival tips to pass on to me. Despite her efforts to be friendly, not many spoke to her.  Not many offered a helping hand but the streets were quite busy and everyone had a story to tell. My uncle made me come here. Im glad I did because I am not experiencing the same issues my mother had. Perhaps that is because more are taking time to help me than are story telling? I love to hear stories as much as any girl, but I was taught to do my chores before playing.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Empty streets are bad for business.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL