Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:02:10
Page:  1 
New School vs. Old School Started by: -Pittbull- on Jan 18, '12 07:03

Pittbull walks over to a create he sees in the street and get up on it and starts talking as the crowd grows bigger he gets to his point!

Now i know im young and don't have much of a say so in this thing of ours but if you would listen i think you may be intrigued!! Now i have heard of an Old school way of doing things and a new school! The old school way is getting into the game and building up your ranks without having your father or mother or your bloodline period into your building. Now the New school as you would guess is just the opposite. Its where you come in and put all your emphasis on who your bloodline used to be and kinda come in demanding respect from all players!! Now i have seen in my short time that this New school way is getting progressively larger but gets frowned upon more and more! My opinion for what its worth is that when you are killed and have to start over you should just learn from what your parents did or didn't do and build and be better than them! So my question to you ladies and gentlemen which do you prefer the New school or Old school?

After Pittbull is done he steps down off the create!!!

Report Post Tip

I'm new school, but I prefer the old school way of doing things. I know I don't want my employers judging me on what my predecessors have done. However, I can understand that some may have been lucky and their first generation may have done great things they might like to ride.

Report Post Tip

Chris listens to Pitbulls speech a smile forming on his lips he steps forward

" My father in law spoke about the same thing in his own way before, Now haveing a family linage is not a bad thing for good or ill though i dont agree that the said person deserves to be treated any better then the rest or be given any privlages. Though as we know if your showen yourself to be loyal and trust worthy to your previous family that adds a big plus on your bloodlines resume so to speak people know what your kin was capable of on how well they handled there previous positions, On the other hand if you have proven to be inept and untrustworthy then it works in reverse. Positions such as RHM or LHM the Crewleader never hands out lightly those positions are given to the most trusted of crew members. If you have held those positions then you are well on the way to being noticed you are observed by other familys and citys on how you preform in these positions a Crewleader has to know who he places in that position can act in a profesional and respected way."

Chris steps back and smiles at Pitbull

Thats my take on it i hope it helps you in some way

Report Post Tip

Dimitri sits on a bench smoking a cigarrette. He stands to add to the discussion.

I prefer the old school way. I never mention the names of my ancestors. Because i dont want to be judged because of what my great grandfather did, or put on a pedestal because of what his grandfather did. I want to work my way up fairly in this thing of ours, i dont want a bonus just because of how important an ancestor was.

Also, mentioning your family name comes with its disadvantages. There are allot of family rivalries, and while im not suggesting that anyone would partake in 'blood-line hunting', someones whos grandfather killed your grandfather, would be much more likely to take a bullet from you if war ever broke out.

So to finish up. Do it the old fashioned way. Make your own name for yourself, dont live off of the name of a dead ancestor.

Dimitri sits back down. Strikes a match and begins to smoke, listening to the discussion.

Report Post Tip

Hayden considers this question for a moment before getting up and speaking.

"I don't actually have a bloodline to go on for the new way, but I don't see any reason to believe it would be worthwhile to create expectations of myself I might not be able to fullfill again. Or tell people exactly what I am capable of. I would much rather leave a little to the side of mystery and not have people knowing what to expect."

Hayden goes back to relaxing against a wall and listening to the other opinions. 

Report Post Tip

The claim that relying on your bloodline's past successes to get ahead in life is 'new school' or somehow a recent practice is ridiculous. Exploiting your bloodline's past successes is something nearly as old as bloodlines themselves.

Report Post Tip

Many years ago my great, great, great, great, great, great and so o grandmother only got auth coz my great, and so on grandmother had fought so valianty in a war whether pro'ing, locating or shooting targets to help the effort.   Now even though the war never went her way, the opposite side had seen certain qualities in her that are not always seen as people run and hide from wars or just log off and hope for the best.  So i must admit even old school players who go (ooc 10 years) a long time back have benefitted from what is thought of as a new school system. 

Report Post Tip

I wouldn't call it new school, but this does occur and I personally don't throw my bloodline around unless it's to get into contact with old family friends. I'd rather let my work show my worth not my surname.

~Francisco

Report Post Tip

Pittbulls speaks after listening to some of the comments!

"My bloodline it self is really young not throwing there names around the reason i call it an new school system is cause i couldnt find a better word at the time. Now don't get me wrong if every1 has a valid point and to me none are wrong! If i offended anyone by caling it Old school and New school then im sorry but no better words described it at the time."

Pittbull then stop talking and goes and stands by a light post to hear anymore comments!

Report Post Tip

Aaron steps out with a fancy silver flask engraved with his family crest and motto then takes a swig and looks around

"You got yourself some attention here Mr. Pittbull. Just thought I'd tell you where I stand on all this. See, my bloodline has been running along these streets longer than I care to count, and none of them ever really did anything amazing or great, but I'm sure if I were to go through a list of all their names most people in this thing of ours today would recognize one or two of them at least, and most of the people who recognize them respected them for one reason or another. Now to my point, if the father/mother was respected then I believe so should the son/daughter be, to an extent. Now, just cause the father/mother was Don such and such who was structured in a strong family doesn't mean that their son/daughter should come back into this world and instantly be a rhm again but should still be respected as the kin of a great person until they show otherwise. The building of ranks will never be affected by the bloodline and to this day isn't, else I'd be much more than a lowly gangster at this point, but I think what you were getting at was the billeting inside the families maybe, and you're right, I look around and see thugs holding structure positions because they're father/mother held that position before them when there are plenty of people who may have been equally qualified in the family who could have stepped up into their shoes after their untimely demises. Really, to each their own though I guess right?"

Aaron stops to put the cap back on his silvered flask and return it to his coat pocket before turning to walk away

Report Post Tip

Pittbull listens to Aaron and says "Thats exactly what im talking about!"

Report Post Tip

Well, I reckon it`s a load of bollocks personally. Now I`m not saying that to ruffle feathers, or raise eyebrows, or belittle any comments made within this discussion but I do feel that this “old school” “new school” labelling isn`t really how things are. I appreciate your question however –Pitbull-, and as you`ve already suggested yourself, the two tags may not be the most accurate way of describing two differing schools of thought but, the core of the discussion is, in my opinion, a valid one.

As already stated, the bloodline issue has been around since the first HQ was built. It`s a fact, it happens, if you haven`t seen it yet or witnessed the effects of it yet, then I suggest that you and your ancestors have operated all those years with your eyes and ears closed or, your bloodline simply hasn`t been around for long enough.

Now, if you wish to distinguish between someone who would openly divulge their bloodline in order to gain an advantage against someone who would keep their roots to themselves and carve a name for each and every generation who steps onto our shores, then I might suggest that they may be labelled in a particular way.

Let`s face facts here, I`d expect every man and woman with an ounce of self esteem who wish to get ahead using their brain, wits, guile, tenacity and all that is good within the art of organised crime and financial gain, to use every angle and every which way to further their career. However, there is a way of doing it that will ensure continued respect for your bloodline, and there is another way which should get you shit on from a great height. Unfortunately, the latter of the two can sometimes be forgotten and stories of demanding little snots in silk suits lined up at the docks waiting for “uncle harry” in his diamond encrusted Packard are often tossed into these hallowed streets for another round of bloodline bashing.

There are ways to get where you`re going which will get you noticed, respected and ultimately considered honourable. There are those among us who know this, abide by this, and reap the rewards from this. The others.................well, it`s just a matter of time.

Report Post Tip

I have to say that I would use the labels "Old School" and "New School" for something entirely different. You already admitted that it wasn't the brightest idea to call them that so I don't need to go further into that detail.

As far as the actual question at hand, whether to rely on your ancestor's reputation to get ahead...

Some of my ancestors wanted to go unnoticed as soon as they decided to start a life of crime to keep a low profile so they wouldn't say who they were related to. Specially the ones who didn't know who they were going to join or didn't want the extra attention because they were mourning the loss of their relative and wanted to be left alone.

Other people in my lineage had no problem letting everybody know who they were related to because for the most part they were respectable mobsters and any family would have been blessed to have them.

My ancestors put in a whole lot of work to create their reputation and we all know how strong genetics are in here. We all know that the son, should he chose to, can pick up the role of the father where he left off with the same intelligence his father did. There may be some skills that are not inherited like the clout you have with the FBNs or the shooting skill but roles like LHM and RHM can be performed by the son as if the father had never left and the kid was born for the role.

Of course it may benefit the crew in other ways to allow some rotation and let a higher ranked member fill the role while the kid grows up but I certainly don't see many drawbacks in having the son follow the steps of the father and letting him fast track to where his ancestor was.

Letting people know who I am related to also saves me having to answer a lot of questions my ancestors had to answer at the time. When I joined Clarity, since I made it known who I was, I was never needed to ask if I knew my way around this place and my sponsor knew he didn't have to take my hand and show me the ropes into making money and making a name for myself.

Of course I talk to them both very often but about other things and I realize I probably get told much more than if I decided to hide who I was related to. Like somebody said before me, to each their own, and both lines of thought have their merits. Let's hope everybody is in the right place and working for the people that fit best with their style.

Report Post Tip

Emilio walks by overhearing some of the opinions

I having just arrived here in this land of opportunity know little of the happenings and reputations of families.  But I feel that all ancestors should be respected by the younger generation.  But each their own to make themselves.  Being the first of my blood, I have no claim to any sort of reputation, so I have to make it myself, I expect future generations of my family to do the same.  But honor past generations the same, because they are what helped shape who they are.  One shouldn't rely on their blood's accomplishments, for who is to say that it was just dumb luck that got them there?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: New School vs. Old School
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL