Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 05:39:03
Page:  1 
Taking Things for Granted Started by: Neon on Jun 12, '12 17:06

Neon approached the table that many friends were sitting at in a local bar. She had something on her mind that she just wanted to get out. She didn't expect any of them to respond to her, to be honest she didn't want them to. She just wanted to get the weight off her shoulders and have a few drinks.

“Hello friends and some family.”

She said and then ordered a cocktail from the waitress.

“This has been troubling me for some time. Something about people in our way of life. Some say it is greed, something that weighs heavily in our line of work. We rely so much on money that we sometimes forget the people behind it.”

Neon thanked the girl and took a sip of her drink before continuing.

“People seem to forget about those that have helped them along the way. Those that gave them that boost to be something or that chance to become more than they thought they could. Perhaps, someone hired a few guards to help you stay safe. Maybe, they hired a officer to help sell some drugs and keep you out of jail. Perhaps, they gave you that chance to lead your own family or even a city!”

“Yet, down the road, when things change, people don't remember what others did for them. The sacrifice that they may have made. Granted, some people will hold over your head what they did for you, abuse it, and maybe even do their best to make you bend to their every will because of it. Yet, I feel that is very few and far in between.”

“Many times leaders are judged, ridiculed, and put down over a choice they make that no one even knows the whole reason behind it. Little do you know that that choice, saved your life and many others. You question why don't they just stand up to a bully or why don't they just attack and wipe out the city that gives them so many problems. Leaders have far more to worry about than what they don't like! They have you, a precious life that they don't want to put in jeopardy.”

“We take for granted so many things. We continue to ask why we don't get more, why we don't get what that person has, or what makes them better than us? It is time for a simple thank you. Maybe you should remember when someone helped you out and try helping them out for once. Why does it have to be all about us or you or me?”

Neon finished and took another drink. The friends around the table gave soft smiles and ordered a round of drinks to carry on enjoying the rest of their night.

Report Post Tip

Picking up his chair from the other side of the table and placing it next to Neons he takes and seat and looks towards her.

Neon, your on to something here I would have to say. My personal opinion even though some may be to caught up, I tend to think there are those people who solely have moving forward or accomplishing a certain something and if you aren’t in a place of power, or even in a position to help them they tend to pass you by. I know its not a great thought, but through history and journals of my for fathers its been around. As I said, it’s a sad thought and though I don’t like to think there are people like that in the world unfortunately there is.

I tend to try and keep close with the people I respect, and who have respect for me. I try my best to try and tend to the favors I have been given in the past because I am true believer in what goes around, comes around.

Again, this could very well just be myself, and these drinks in the moment that are flowing quite decently, but a position or a place of power really seems to attract people to a certain individual I think, unfortunately there kin I find does not always get the same respect from others as  they maybe should.

Finishing his drink and ordering up another he shakes his head…

At the end of the day, you know who appreciates what you do for them and enjoys your friendship. As for the other fella’s well they are digging themselves a grave some quick, showing a little appreciation can go a long ways.

Report Post Tip

Sammy notices Neon and begins to listen to her talking to herself. After she had finished he decided to add in his thoughts

"It's a great point, and one that I haven't seen anybody bring to the public's attention. I for one completely appreciate everything anyone has ever done for me. Whether it was buying me hired protection, giving me the chance as a Right or Left Hand, or just simple giving me the chance to speak my mind on a situation they needed help with. Even though them themselves needed the help, I was grateful that they thought of me, and asked me for my opinion. It means a great deal when someone values your input.

"To the people who don't appreciate what they have or what others have done for them, I think they need to experience life without any of the current luxuries they have. Maybe then they will see exactly what they had, after all, as they say, You don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone"

Report Post Tip

Manius stepped from the crowd of on lookers and decided to have a say in the matter at hand. Plucking a cowboy killer from the gold cigarette case he carried he placed it in his mouth and walked up to his friend from the beautiful city of Philadelphia. Striking a match he let the red flame at the end of his cancer stick flare up a bit before exhaling a large cloud of blue smoke. He cleared his throat and began waving his hands to emphasis his point.

Rarely do any of us NOT take things for granted. Even as a leader in one of the most powerful cities this world has to offer in the present climate, I take things for granted. The fact that the individuals under me work as hard as they do for a portion of the cash received is what this life is all about. To be honest in a months time, or a years time will I remember them if they die to some unfortunate accident? Probably not, I focus on the tasks at hand, the duties that are required of me.

I think the majority of individuals don't understand the work, the effort that it takes to lead. My bloodline was always taught that you lead by example first. Want your people to rank? Show them how it's done. Want them to kick up more cash? Thank them for their continued support and contributions. Want your hit squad to continued pushing, continue training to protect your family? Lead by example.

I say all of this to round to my final point. We take things for granted for one simple fact. Our lives are expendable, and rarely do we see mobsters who live into their old age.

Rarely, do we see the Roman's walking these streets old, wise men to pass on advice and ensure that the population becomes of age. So what do we do? We take things for granted. We get everything we can out of this life and pray that our sons and daughters learned from our mistakes.

Everyone of us works for someone. The majority of us have a man up top and a few on the bottom. We take those below us for granted, but those above us we revere like the gods they are. For at a single moment, they can end our lives with one word, and they are treated as such.

Manius inhales another drag on his cowboy killer and flicks the butt to the ground before walking back to a post in the corner of the crowd. Waiting for the next response.

Report Post Tip

true and we all could use some wisdom to enhance our gratefulness on our own behalves

Report Post Tip

Personally, I don't see anyone taking anyone else for granted anymore than they have to. This is the underground after all... if we're not taking advantage of others we shouldnt be here right now!

Also, if people are taking others for granted, why... from the current list of family heads we have now, have about 90% of them had a family somewhere in their recent lineages? I don't know everyone's bloodlines here anymore, but I bet there's still one or two that I don't even know that have had the chance to run families through their grandpappy's and pappy's quite recently.

In such a small world, almost everyone is getting their "just desserts" and I fail to see who exactly is being taken for granted... other than the minority who have never and will never kick up a fuss to get what they want, to which I say... hallelujah! If someone wants to sit there and let this world pass them by because they're too shy or polite to try and get their share of the pie then it's their own fault.

I, for one feel NO guilt.

Report Post Tip

Vialpando scratches his head as he remembers the speech his father had told him about.

Gotta love a massive hypocrite!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Taking Things for Granted
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL