Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 01:53:25
Page:  1 
Patterns in the smoke Started by: asperger on Jun 24, '12 09:28

A small diminutive man steps out of the crowds and begins to systematically unfold something out of his pocket, after a series of complex hand movements which he accomplishes with some aplomb a small box like structure resembling a soap box has been constructed out of what was once, you are sure was a bus timetable.

He coughs nervously before pushing his wire rimmed spectacles up onto his large hook shaped nose with ink stained fingers.

People of our seven cities I have been deliberating over the past few days the motivation behind recent activities, looking for patterns in the smoke feeling the waft of the butterflies wings on my face so to speak.

The man shuffles and appears to look skyward as he recites to himself a series of nonsensical numbers.

Please excuse me, I have a disposition which makes me consider patterns where usually non can see such things… he drifts off again and tips his hat to a passing blackbird as it flutters overhead.

The question I want to put to you all is :

"What is the best way to ingrain a behaviour into a person? Not something you want to extinguish, but something you want to foster.?"

Now I myself suffer from what some people have recently diagnosed as an obsessive dysfunction, I do not think this is dysfunctional at all but allows me to see things others would usually overlook as trivia or un importance.

The first and most popular response to this question would, I assume, be reward! But ask yourselves if one of us is constantly rewarded would we not become bored? Would the task we are striving to achieve not become mundane and obtuse? Surely we would grow fat, weary and become bored with our existence? The answer I think myself is intermittent reward?

The better examples of this here in our world are prevalent for all to see, the hitters amongst us are rewarded, but as we all know of late those rewards are inconsistent. Gun Malfunctions are rife, sometimes resulting in death. Another Prime example is our incessant need to gamble: if we always win at a game, the game becomes boring for us. But if we only win some of the time, it can become addictive.

Or its like earners whining to their crew leaders / godfathers. The behavoir crew leaders hate the most from their family, but the earners can't help themselves - not because the whining always works, but because it sometimes works. The unpredictability makes it irresistible for us.

A voice shouts from the crowd "That's Crazy!"

The small mans eyes suddenly turn to steel and he stares the heckler down, it is as if he has become a different persona, one which is made more from the sum of his diminutive parts.

Not here! Not by definition: the behavouir of the majority is NEVER crazy!

This brings me futher into my deliberations and searching for the order in chaos. How can we ever hope for order when at our core we are irrational beings? If we were rational we would expect rational, predictable behaviour from our peers. This world of our can NEVER be called predicable, however he in lies my conundrum and why I have come to ask you your opinions:

Even if there is no pattern, we convince ourselves that there is some underlying logic to it all.

It is when our logic fails that we resort to our most basest form, we kill, we lie and we cheat. We force the pattern to our will but then is that a rational way to succeed?

How is it possible that we can foster some rationality into our lives and groom the next generation amongst us to behaviour that's fits with our chosen 'organised' profession?

Report Post Tip

If anything, this world is by far more predictable now than it has ever been. The same people rise to power, the same people take advantages of the loopholes, the same people follow their bloodlines histories and do stupid things. The only time the pattern is broke is when someone deciedes to attempt a rogue move. Those attempts are few and far between. Once the buzz on the attempt dies down, its back to buisness as usual.

Report Post Tip

Falcon brings up a very valid point.

Looks around...

I see familiar faces from the past. Children's children of those who used to run things, either running things now, or have a huge impact on today's activities. Few and far between Mr. Falcon?

Remembers Valmot's effort.

Agreed. Far in between.

Report Post Tip

I suffer the same affliction as asperger. I see patterns all the time, or in my case, chess pieces. Recently the board has changed in a familiar way, even to me. We would have to look into ancient history if I were to point out the pattern I already see. I believe that rewards are the key to ingraining a certain behavior, perhaps the promise of power and prestiege even attracts the occasional Godfather, who one would think already had it. But I imagine the choice of WHO's puppet to be has its considerations, and consequences. In my view there is logic underlying it all, the logic being hold on to power at all costs for some bloodlines, and beg for as much as you can for others. For me the only way some of the poor choices we have seen result in poor choices by others who probably got wore down by one of those whiners mentioned.

Report Post Tip

I wouldn't regard valmonts action as rogue mike, though I do see where you were coming from with that comment.

I disagree though with the old tale that the same old peoples bloodline are in power. Since we already used him as an example, I don't recall hearing of any members of valmonts bloodline being a leader?

Mr jelly though from a long and old distinguished bloodline hasn't had a member of his ancestry in power for a long time. Wherewasi, I believe, is the first of his lineage to be given auth?

There are of course more cases currently of those lines that have been in power, but that will always be the case as by the nature of our life, we look after family.

Report Post Tip

We look after family, friends, and those who uses other worldy means to gain cash in this world to bodyguard themselves up!

Report Post Tip

No I am pretty sure those who can bodyguard themselves up by any means look after themselves sir. I just think you have to understand that of course someone who can hire alot of muscle is going to survive the trials of life here in this thing of ours alot easier than say a bloodline who don't seem to have the favor of the gods when it comes to bodyguards. Not to mention the bloodline I am named after was once an acting godfather and that was our bloodlines first time on these streets. So as to the same people always in control this couldn't possibly be true. 

And is it so much to ask from your crew leader that you prove yourself before he or she invests in your protection if you don't have the favor of the gods? We are talking about millions of dollars for this muscle and you can hardly blame a leader for not wanting to waste their hard earned cash on someone they cant guarantee will make a valuable asset to the community yet. And that sir was in no way an attack on your character as I am not really sure we have met so I wouldnt be able to judge that. Patience is virture and I am sure if you give them time to notice your doing an awesome of job you will find yourself finding the means to hire your own muscle.

Report Post Tip

My commentary has nothing to do with my own personal stances, just a broad sweeping comment about how things go around these parts.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Patterns in the smoke
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL