Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 21:53:11
Page:  1 
The Girls First SoapBox Impression Started by: Jane-LoveEasy on Jul 04, '12 02:33

The time had come for Jane’s big debut to The Streets of These Shores. She carried her soapbox to the middle of the square where she stood proud and tall. Squaring her shoulders she takes a deep breath and speaks out loudly over the crowd of mobsters shuffling on the cobble stone paths.

“Respect. Isn’t that what it’s all about!”

The foot noise dies off as the mobsters gather to listen to a fellow mofiosa. 

“We are to live and breath respect to every person we meet. It has occurred to me in the last few days that all people do not hold to the same level of respect that others do. I, myself, have made personal rules and boundaries for the way I speak to people. Maybe it is a matter of pride that compels me to treat everyone with the highest level of respect I can muster. There are certain lines that you just don’t cross. Certain things you just don’t say to people who you don’t know. Especially in this Thing of Ours! If you’re not careful you could be fitted with some solid blocks!”

Jane looked down at her feet and then back to the shadow covered faces of her peers.

“Another basic rule I like to follow is this. You get the respect you give. On these shores you never know who is who. When some nobody greets themselves to you on the streets and there is no respect in the mans gesture I am twitching to grab my gun. Instead I shoot my mouth of to the idiot and hopefully he’ll learn a thing or two. I don’t know if the standards changed or if we are all just a little confused as to what the standards are or if the standards just aren’t important anymore?”

Taking a bow Jane notices she’s a little flushed from all the excitement. She smiles to herself as she stands tall before her audience.

Report Post Tip

PJ taking a stroll down the street notices a women happily carrying a soap box down the street. His eyes widen with hatred as he presses his panic button. With in moments ten monkeys come flying through the street, swinging from lamp post to lamp post while screaming their soap box war cry. Within seconds and in a mist of dust the soap box is destroyed and Jane is left bemused at what had just occurred. PJ approaches Jane and places a re-assuring hand on her shoulder.

I apologise for that my dear. My monkeys have a rather pure hatred for the soap box. Don't worry though... You first appearance in these streets is a good one and I thank you for coming out.

Respect is something I feel that started to be lost around here many moons a go. I only ever really see respect for rank and status these days from those that have experienced the days of old. Those who have had it implanted in their DNA for many of generations. Then there are those that just don't really care none the less. Like that of Misguided_Angel no more than a couple of hours a go. Claimed responsibility for a death that didn't even happen and failed on his quest to kill one of my members. Where is the respect in that?

Then there is that of those who shoot other people randomly either for a bit of excitement in their then short lived lives. Respect, to me, is something that is shown through words expressed and actions taken. It is also something that can take a long long time to earn. I also agree with you though that "You get the respect you give." It is so much easier to give someone respect and get it back than it is to be disrespectful. So why is it so hard?

Report Post Tip

Niko was one of the people that had gathered to listen to the speech, after taking PJ's two cents into consideration, Niko decided to add in his own opinion. He stepped out of the shadow of the crowd and smiled at Jane, then turned slightly to address the crowd.

In my opinion, respect is still very much apart of this thing of ours. Respect is the glue that holds this thing together. Although I do not disagree that some of the newer bloodlines to our way of life have been less than respectful. Although, in their defense, I am sure they will learn quickly, and that they are just excited to be apart of this thing. I am confident that most of those that are new to this life will learn fairly quickly, one way or another, that respect is a must, and not only deserved by the upper structure, but by everyone.

Niko turned and tipped his fedora to Jane, and then PJ, before stepping back into the shadow of the crowd.

Report Post Tip

Cutty steps up to address the crowd.

First and foremost, this thing is a business and we should conduct ourselves as businessmen (and women), not like a bunch of cowboys or common street thugs. And all businesses, whether it’s our thing or those crooks down on Wall Street, have their rules or code of ethics to keep everybody in line. One of the main rules for Mafiosi is, “Treat each member of this thing, whether they belong to your family or not, with respect.” This rule applies to everyone from The Godfathers down to the new guy in the social club looking for work. Even the dead guys in the morgue get the same respect, regardless of what they may have done.

Why?

We won’t get much business done if we went around disrespecting each other. We would spend more time having sit-downs over silly disputes or going to war because some goodfella got his feelings hurt than actually earning, which is why we’re here in the first place.

It’s just common sense. As Jane stated earlier, you never know who’s who in this world. For example, there are members of this community whose bloodlines go all the way back to Julius Caesar, and that’s no bullshit either. What I’m trying to say is, the guy you just disrespected is probably “connected” (hey that rhymes), and he may have “friends” who may want to pay you a visit later.

Just remember, back in the old days when a guy was disrespected he would sit there and nod and smile, but made sure you “got it” later.

Cutty nods and smiles as he steps back into the crowd.

Report Post Tip

Anthony wanders over to the respectful part of the street and listens in for a bit.

I agree with most of whats been said today, however, I do take exception to being told how to conduct myself. I started out a common street thug, and a quick look around shows that some of the most powerful people to walk these streets act just like cowboys. I am not implying that there was any disrespect intended, only perhaps a poor choice of words. In the area of bloodlines I feel that we must not lend too much credence to the ancestors of the average goomba, lest we also lend credence to the coninued antics of some who will not forget the past. Better to stand out as an unknown, than to walk these streets a mute, while expecting a guy like me to respect an ancestor who I never cared for to begin with. Imagine the ass backwardness of a hundred time goomba, who thinks himself better than a first time capo, that alone could portent the end of this thing of ours. I have personally experience this phenomenon, and to this day find it abhorrent.

Anthony nods and smiles as he leans up against the lamp post his ancestors from long ago once leaned against.

Report Post Tip

Too much emphasis is placed on how things used to be.  Rank is no indicator of respect, this has been shown time and time again.  We had a Godfather here once who was nothing but a patsy for a fellow Godfather – the Laurel & Hardy of tyrannical leaders came close to destroying this community forever.  But a group of turncoats, “terrorists”, rogues and double-crossers bandied together and removed these Godfathers and returned these cities to a place of sanity.  Now, in doing so, many men of honour betrayed their bosses.  Did they act disrespectfully?  Yes, if you consider rank worthy of respect alone.  No they did not, if you judge them by their individual actions.  Ultimately, people should earn respect judged by their conduct and their commitment to building a better society for themselves, their family, their city and this community.

PJ mentioned my father acted disrespectfully.  Respectfully, PJ, nonsense.  You have earned my respect as a worthy adversary and a skilled leader.  Of that there is no doubt.  But you employ those that have virtually no respect, whatsoever, across all of these cities.  You employ a person whose bloodline is a byword for infamy, a synonym for scandal, a nom de guerre for disrepute, shame and disrepute.  Everyone in these cities will know who I’m talking about.  Her history has condemned her to a lifetime of zero respect.  She has not the character to admit she’s wrong, the fortitude to see her error or the humour to conduct herself with grace.  She is, in short, a total disgrace and unworthy of the respect of anyone, save a few knaves or fools.  I would happily remove this stain myself, if I had the dedication and time to do so.  But I don’t, so I go after the underbelly.  And yet even then, I fail.  But my actions are honourable.

Report Post Tip

SleepingWithAngels, Your father shot at and missed one of my city. From what I can see it was un-necessary and not warranted. You say you have respect for me and I must admit your bloodline in the past has shown me respect. I will not deny that. However, to shoot at one of my members is a show of disrespect to me, Slash, Grin and my entire city.

As for Midnight_Queen. You may not want to utter her name but just the thought of it brings me joy. My current Right Hand may not have shown you respect or any to that of your ancestors but to be quite frank. In her eyes and in the eye of many you do not deserve a single iota. You have repeatedly called her out and she has repeatedly at my request kept her tongue still. She is much better than to be dragged in to street squabbles and hell... I didn't even need to ask her to steer clear of you. She was doing it out of her own respect for me and our city anyway. You see, this lady does have respect for people and she has a lot of respect from others. The people we show respect to are those that deserve it and show it back. Something we any many others do not believe you are capable of.

Report Post Tip

PJ, trust me when I say that close to all of my associates in this thing despise your RHM.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  She hides behind rank, at the moment, previously she hid behind other things.  That's all well and good.  With Prem out of the way, a Totemistic villain is needed to inspire and motivate.  Thinking abstractly, let's say that Kuku & Co wiped out all of our enemies - what would we do then?  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  We need enemies.  Your RHM provides one. 

Now, where's Rory?  Anyone seen any roller skates about?

Report Post Tip

The main thing I pick up from that is "She hides behind rank, at the moment".

It sticks out because I have to ask, how is she hiding? I gave her the rank she currently holds. No one else and most certainly not her. I had to drag her in kicking and screaming.

Report Post Tip

That's a good question.  In order to answer it, I must reveal aspects of my modus operandi which I do not wish to disclose.  Therefore i will refrain from doing so.  Time is of the essence and the necessary obfuscation will not readily be available with a swift riposte.  Suffice to say that I will, if necessary, redact and contradict anything I have already said.

Report Post Tip

Uh... Respect is important, but... I thought we all already knew that... If we didn't well... Most of us would be dead by now. Usually, we know good from bad... Respectful from disrespectful... etc etc

This does call into question when someone is just kidding around... I happen to be a bit of an asshole... but I generally don't mean it... Usually if I do, a person will know that I meant disrespect.... Eitherway, I have to keep a huge stack of stationary for appology letters.....

And as for PJ's RH, she's one scary bitch, and definitely deserves her rank... and I love that bitch, not in a sexual way. You think she's hiding behind her rank? Well... Rank isn't everything and no knowledgable person would ever say otherwise. You can hide behind youth as well.... but whatever... So... yeah. Oh and concerning Rory...No clue. 

Report Post Tip

Jane, some people in this world have to learn the hard way how to show respect.  I don't think it is born in everyone, it is more of a learned activity.  I try to show respect at all times, but no one is perfect and all we can do is learn from our mistakes.  Perhaps there are those who do not deserve respect, but it isn't really about the other person, it is about me and how I behave.

Report Post Tip

Another inane speech about something a poor civilian like myself could have jotted up in a moment of silence... "I respect this and that and if you dont, I will shoot you where you stand..."

Blah, take a stand on something important... Do not just repeat the voices of shadows/ancestors/dead peeps on a subject that is literally obsolete.. Even though they may have been inspiring, this was a waste of my tizzime!

Report Post Tip

How very respectful of you Bob.

However a quick look at the topic of what Jane is speaking about here would clearly show that this is her first attempt at starting something up in the streets. How was she to know that this has been beaten around the bush more than birdays wank sock?

Regardless of how many times something has been talked about if someone feels they have something different to add in their own opinion then I for one, welcome it.

Report Post Tip

Correct, a person could, for example, rehash almost the exact same points in two identically titled speeches, using different examples, and still maintain the interest of those listening.

Report Post Tip

if someone feels they have something different to add in their own opinion 

This is key, and not the case.. 

Report Post Tip

I also wish to thank you Jane, for bringing your opinion to the streets.  It is obvious that you put some thought into what you were saying, and are sincere in your questions.

While not everyone can appreciate it, I certainly do.  Not every bloodline has been in this thing of ours since the beginning of time. People new to these shores have their own questions, and they deserve answers, and respect.  I for one can find something new in each street speech, and I am baffled by those who don't look deeply enough to see something original and thoughtful.

Report Post Tip

Jane, first I must congratulate you for coming out like this and speaking in the streets. Its not as easy as it looks sometimes, especially your first time, when you may have heard some other respected members of the community (and others less respected with illusions of grandeur and a case of verbal diahrea), and wondered if they would even pay attention to you. We all seek validation in some way, and you deserve some praise for what you have started here.

Not only did you stand up straight and speak on something you thought was important (whether or not it has been talked about over and over in the streets), you showed everyone how you carried yourself when you did it. I think you should be proud. I know I am.

At the same time, this thread also sparked a debate that proved case and point what the thread was about in the first place. This poor girl starts her first coming out speech in the streets, probably nervous as hell, but held her head high, and certain individuals brought baggage with them from past (un-pertaining) threads and left it all over your podium, so to speak. In my humble opinion, I found that disrespectful, which was the topic here, was it not?

I'm not here trying to anger anyone, but maybe to re-enforce what this thread was about in the first place. Respect.

Pharaoh steps forward and shakes Jane's hand warmly, before turning to head back to Head Quarters.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Girls First SoapBox Impression
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL