Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 08:25:56
Page:  1 
Spelling and Grammar Started by: -Aoife- on Jul 11, '12 13:59

*Aoife moves her soap box carefully to just the right spot.  She smiles sweetly at the crowd of people in the streets.  Feeling rather nervous, as the focus of so many important people, she begins.*

It has come to my attention that some of you are incapable of stringing together a sentence.  Naturally, I am not speaking about the occasional speaker who slips up, or of someone who actually puts some effort into what they have written or announced.

I would respectfully request that you first consult a dictionary or another source before cluttering up my world here with garbage.  I would even offer my services as a proofreader, if necessary.

Thank you.

*Aoife smiles adorably and goes skipping back to the H.Q.*

Report Post Tip

SquidMaster walks out into the streets and begins to raise a brow as the man starts talking...

Do you realize that this is the 1930's sir? If everyone has elegant speaking abilities, this place is certainly not for me. Not everyone is from America, much like my fathers I am pure Irish decent. I do appreciate your extended had to allow people to walk into your office for help at any time on this subject; it's simply awesome.

However, I do still see you pointed out not the occasional slip up and such. But if someone were speaking so outlandishly you couldn't understand them, do you think they really intended to be serious or have you take the subject matter to heart?

I just don't see the point in coming into the streets and having people request or even sometimes demand perfection or better speaking capabilities. These streets are a learning curve for anyone, even if they don't articulate their speeches well.

Report Post Tip

I am sorry for my not so occasional slip ups. You see my parents both lost their jobs during the great depression that I was forced to leave school and educate myself on the streets. Its hard to learn proper grammar and spelling off of coke bottles and street signs.

Its nice that you are offering people your services. I may one day use them.

Report Post Tip

*Throwing a smile toward SquidMaster, Aoife thinks carefully before speaking.*

I do not expect perfection at all.  I am asking for some effort.  Anyone, no matter their station in life, lineage or education can put effort into what they set out to accomplish.  I don't see the harm in expecting someone to exert themselves a bit.  I am not speaking of those who merely do not articulate well.  I am speaking of the people who slap on a street speech with no respect, no thought, and no effort whatsoever. 

I never said I was perfect either, nor do I even wish to be.  I just stated my opinion in a respectful way, and I stand by it.

Report Post Tip

This is why people don't come to the streets!When they feel intimidated that people will laugh and insult their lack of "good english" Any communication is better than none. Some people don't want help, some people would rather learn by themselves. We have people from all around the world playing and don't quite get the jist of english.

Lets not go down this road again, where people get slated for lack of effort. For instance.. Kuku is a pain, but at least he brings life to the streets! Good or bad. Lets not jump on people's poor grammar and lets see if the streets can flourish one way or another.

Report Post Tip

Taking a more political approach SquidMaster extends a chair for -Aoife- to sit in, wrapping his legs around the legs of the chair; SquidMaster falls into place as he begins to retort...

I am in no simple way trying to be rude here, but what you are saying kind of doesn't make sense now...

I am speaking of the people who slap on a street speech with no respect, no thought, and no effort whatsoever.

Your intentions were good, to come out into these fine streets we have and extend a helping hand. To wish those whom do ill fated things in these beloved streets to actually give two shits and try to speak with some heart and soul. But by stating what you have in the way you have, you're saying that you're trying to get people who don't care, to start caring.

We all know the temperament this world can bring you when a highly presentable man or woman of these streets is lost. People will come from the cracks and allow blabber to spill from their lips. If you notice a couple alleys over, the very subject of muting innocents until a certain point is being discussed at this very moment.

You stand by your opinions and I applaud you for that, not many have the bottom belly weight to hold their stance when confronted with an issue. But I do still stand by my opinion as well respectfully. I don't think these people you are trying to get the real attention of, "The Ill Fated Street Speakers" are going to pay attention to someone telling them to do better. In reality, we all know people will do better when they please. Beating dead horses around here has been a long gone on trade as far as trying to help someone who isn't in the right mind state to help themselves first.

But once again, I do respect your intentions in these streets, -Aoife-..

Report Post Tip

Spelling and grammer might be important if you're a noble, kissing the King's ring or hunting with a Duke. 

Where I'm from the Tsar and his puppets spoke very well.  They were educated at the finest institutions the world had to offer.  Comrades like me, those born in grass huts, political prisoners, persecuted minorities and the like, we buried them.  Their grammer did not help them when we broke the chains that bound us and destroyed their empire.  We did it with will, comradeship and tact.  At the time I didn't know the word 'tact', certainly could not spell it, and it did not hurt our cause.

Most of us here are immigrants.  Loyalty, cunning, determination, and handling a gun, none of those things require an institutional education or a dictionary written by the imperialists. 

I do see where you are coming from, to a certain degree.  Knowledge and intelligence will only help us as we live outside the normal 9 to 5 life and carve out a piece of this world for our kind.  I just don't place spelling and grammer quite as high on the list, and find this somewhat condescending especially as it applies to those fresh off the boat.

Report Post Tip

With all due respect, I'm not sure this speech is meant for the streets. It is hard to really address the issue without showing symptoms of OOC'itis.

I highly doubt that whomever isn't willing to put some effort in their speeches is going to go looking for outside help.

On the one hand, we should strive to become better, but on the other hand, we are criminals and not scholars so I'm not sure if we are supposed to be expressing ourselves like educated gentlemen all the time.

That being said, A LOT of respect would be earned by MANY people if there were ways to show that one puts the effort even if grammar is lacking for whatever reason. (OOC: I really don't know how to explain this without going OOC. Somebody could write a perfect narration between html tags and then butcher the language as the character s/he is portraying. This is a text based game and we didn't invent the language. It already has a set or rules. So many of us, even if we don't want to will always cringe at the sight of "Your rite" or "should of" or "there money" and many others.)

And as long as I went a little OOC, please allow me to point out that talking about "spelling" is also going OOC. We never see spelling when talking.

Report Post Tip

Fumiko awoke very early this morning. She was still trying get use to the time difference from Tokyo. Her boat lag was still holding her down a little bit, well she guessed it all depended on how one looked at it. If she was use to the time difference she would have missed today's beautiful sunrise. After she brushed her teeth and comb her hair and picked out her extremely pink outfit, Fumiko headed out the door with a clip board in hand.

As she walked down the street she drew X's through the open squares next to her tasks as a fresh new mafioso. Fumiko read each task out loud to herself to practice her English as the birds started to sing their beautiful morning melodies.

Then head to the main founding sponsor of big boss.

Fumiko excitedly shook her head up and down.

Check! Kanpai!

She then read the next item on the task list.

The site refer to the big Los Angeles super hub market specialty gift shop-so cute and adorable item.

Her smile showed off a dimple on each of her glowing cheeks.

Check! Kanpai!

Fumiko moved her finger down the list and stopped dead. The next task scared her and she knew even without reading it she wouldn't be able to check it off her list yet.

To celebrate the public discourse place individual thought enter the mind of all where.

Why did going to the streets scare her so much? Because it was the hallmark of human entrepreneurship and the last bastion of biting intellect. Though, Fumiko would not let that intimidate her. She would make her mark!.

Fumiko listens to the speaker about the English dictionary. This speech would be perfect for her. She had a very personal and close relationship with the English dictionary and she would challenge anyone who didn't believe that.

Konnichiwa!

She greets fellow patrons on the street with tradition hello from Japan and quickly bows stiffly, a manic smile of happiness on her face.

For making most understandable my second language of English, I hope with which to string these words, I have most acceptable ability to string well my sentence construction with utmost care and compassion for dictionary, the English language!

Fumiko grinned from ear to ear and clapped softly very pleased with herself, but she was not done. This was amazing, the English language just rolling off her tongue.

I think my two language English, easy to understand these words most strings often careful and thoughtful English Dictionary language ability to accept most string my sentence structure to do!

She swept some of her long brunette hair behind her tiny ear and continued to smile excitedly.

Now I must go my pants are turning purple!

Sayonara!

Report Post Tip

Points for Vasily.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Spelling and Grammar
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL