Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 17:40:12
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
GAME CHANGE: Rate you can shoot per second. Started by: Squishy on Jul 16, '12 17:53

To help alleviate the load on the server, we have altered the rate of how many wack attempts you can make per given time frame.

If you go over that speed, then you have to wait until time has passed that put you under that limit. Every time you get the message "You can't reload that fast! (you are going too fast)" it adds one to your count, so you need to wait even longer before you can shoot again. Basically, if you keep hammering away you can actually keep adding waits to your counter faster than they are being removed.

This is on a trial basis to see how it performs and may be adjusted in the future.

Report Post Tip

i hope this doesnt have the effect it had on v-day, was pretty frustrating, although i do understand the logic. i suppose it takes the ellement of just clicking the fuck out of it.

Report Post Tip

Personally, I have the feeling that we must click/push spacebar too slowly now. Although it normally doesn't change your chances to get a RIA (even though congestion might be even more penalizing for people who must use the trans-Atlantic internet cables at rush hours for example, as the "going too fast" message pops with less clicks than before), the fun is definitely not the same in my opinion. Or I have been too used to hammer like crazy that wack button, it's possible too...

Report Post Tip

I have to agree with -iocaste. Although the lag etc will be of very very little concern of mine, I have to admit with experiencing one little spike this is going to be a huge pain for people on crap net connections.

I was always lead to think that we had a fair and equal policy on giving people chances. This has just literally removed anyone in as -iocaste said 'rush hour' time from even having a single chance. I know why this has been changed however there has to be another option because this way seriously has removed any 'fairness' that was there.

(Before any says there wasn't much.. there was a considerable amount in terms of backlag of clicks due to net connection)

Report Post Tip

I have to admit, "racing" and i say that lightly as it can not really be called that now, is horrid this way. Im using a work computer that runs I.E., which is horrid generally, and stupidly slow, but its just not very good at all. dissapointing to say the least.

Report Post Tip

Lets see how this works for a bit, and if it solves the problem completely, we can start increasing the speed a tad until we hit the problem again and then back it off one notch.

Report Post Tip

If the speed is one click pr 10 sec its fine for me I just stop doing it :)

I tryed it now just to see and I have too wait done sec or two after it says wack agen and still get that you are too fast

Report Post Tip

Usually I don't speak this harshly of a game change or a suggestion but after trying it out I have to say that this attempt at leveling the playing field for everyone regardless of connection has basically removed any resemblance of skill left in racing that it had left.

There has to be some benchmark we go by before we are catering to people that probably should not be playing this game in the first place considering where they are at the detriment of those that play this game in their free time for enjoyment.

I feel the previous wack system was fine, you could time your clicks and raise your chances..and I noticed I was just as successful on dial-up so I'm not really sure where the issue has been coming from.

Regardless, those are just my opinions, but I'm pretty sure my voice is of the majority's.

Report Post Tip

Rambo you just point of the issue that people were having with the former system. "IF" timed the click or had a general idea of turn time for IA it put you at an advantage vs the rest of the userbase that didn't know such things. Ultimately you must eliminate such things to make it as  "level and fair" as it possibly can  for the userbase as a whole. The Admin are trying out something that "might" work which should eliminate all possiblities of giving players a upper hand by changing the window frame and giving a "randomize" turn time for every IA. As, Enkindle state in the #Divinelunacy

23:01    <enkindle>  it used to be if an inactive started at say 22:31:45 (hour:min:sec)

23:01    <enkindle>  that you couldnt wack them untill like 22:32:10

23:01    <enkindle>  when the script to turn them runs

23:02    <enkindle>  but now they are wackable at like 22:31:46

Personally, I don't think this unfair. It gives more of a lottery style but given enough time and work you can do just the same as sitting there waiting for the exact second for an IA to turn. If there happens to be a noticable pattern like there was then the Admin will address this again on correcting the issue.

Report Post Tip

A lottery style is exactly what I thought we were trying to avoid. After all, the people that build guns well are able to do so because they are good at it, not because they just happened to be lucky. It is not by some strange twist of fate that they became magically awesome at it, they *surprise, surprise* had to give it some effort and learn how to succeed by making observations and changing their approach accordingly. This no longer becomes a game when there is no skill involved in playing.

Also I think you misunderstood what I meant by timing, I was referring to rate of clicks, not when to start and when to stop but no matter.

Report Post Tip

To make it any where near fair it would have to be lottery so people that had a either a un-steady connection or horrible connections had chance. Ok. you sit there waiting for the one second before it turns to spam the "wack" button then how it is the even remotely fair when not every knows the turning time. I mean I understand where you are coming far with what you said. I personally dislike ajax but I've adapted to the changes that were put in front of me. I mean if you wanna go back to where you had to have a good connection or knew f5 tricks then I have no issues there. You wanna go back to three screen set-ups? Fine but it wouldn't be fair to other across the world to that don't have access to decent internet connection. 

The rate of clicks shouldn't effect you if you had no problems before unless you waited to the common turning time for the IAs.  If anything you keep a steady pace going at max you should hit roughly 80% of the time.  I mean you have to fair as you can till you hit the line of "this shit is just way to easy" I mean this something that will be monitored by the players to ensure that it is completely fair and that there is not advantage till cloud is put into play then from what I remember we will be going back to the old way of shooting which will be a very interesting playing field which I look forward too.

Report Post Tip

Straight up, I don't like this change. Just my opinion.

Report Post Tip

NikoBellic, how many times a second should you be able to click? If 2 times a second is too slow for you, then please make a suggestion at how fast the rate should be. The faster we make it, the more of a toll it takes on our server. This change isn't being done to make things harder for you, it's being done because it *needs* to be done because the database can't keep up with the server getting slammed with thousands of wack requests in the matter of a few seconds. We simply are not at a stage now where we can afford to upgrade our hardware or fully switch our operation to the cloud, so we have to do what we can to keep the game running smoothly. I am open to other suggestions on how to fix this. I would hope you can give more input than stating that you dislike it so we can make this better for all.

Report Post Tip

Well that explains it a little bit more, quite simply I was just upset for the same reason -iocaste was. It's just not the same, "the fun is definitely not the same." I do, however, understand that the database cannot handle it. I'm just sad that my spamming days are over :(

Report Post Tip

Granted I never shoot my gun at first this change was really bad but after a few tweaks I find that slamming the spacebar I did not receive one message of going to fast. The way it is right now or was during that race is perfect if you are having problems still then you might want to check your internet speed it might have a problem.

Report Post Tip

still with all that being said, its still an horrific change for me personally. My internet connection generally is not that great, i dont get great speeds at home and a get even slower speeds at work. This, for me takes away any kind of level playing field i may have had. The change time is not my issues, its the abilty to be able to wack.

I understand the reason, i get server is getting smashed, yet i still stand by my points, racing, is now pointless for me, the lag and the whole experience is now a poor one. It takes away one of the main reason i stay involved here so much. So whats left to do, just buy more and more credits? i think not. Highly dissapointed.

Report Post Tip

Space-pole, going from 9 attempts in a 4 second period to 8 I felt was not that big of a change. I am sorry you do not agree. I did enjoy your time here, and I will be sorry to see you quit wacking and leave the game. Hopefully we will be in a better position to restore your playability in this horrific ordeal by adding in 1 more click per 4 second period, a threshold that you hold very dear to you. When it is in our budget to upgrade our servers, we will send you a mail to let you know we have restored that extra click, and hope to provide you with an even an additional one so that you can come back and give us another chance with not just the original 9 clicks in 4 seconds, but a glorious 10 in a 4 second period.

Report Post Tip

Squishy, to alleviate the constant banging on the system, would a return to pre-ajax wack not be a good change?

It will lower the banging on the wack system as a page can only load so fast even on the fastest connection. I do understand your potential concerns with the back spacing and less people racing due to the difficulty level that would come into place if the wack style reverted back, however, there would still be MIAs and durdens if they choose not to race.

I know some people will be against this, but it's not to please them it's to help the system. Especially with the potential change over to the cloud it may not be a bad change, as there is a quicker response time as we've notice everytime we load up MR.

Report Post Tip

Actually, the system is running quite smoothly as it is right now. Squishy, correct me if I'm mistaken. I don't see the point in simply removing the ajax feature when it does work right now as it is, may it not be perfect and appreciated by the majority, while there will surely be further improvements in a near future (as, for example, more clicks/second, or other ideas which might help).

Moreover, in war times, I couldn't imagine a no-ajax world. Just take a simple case. One shooter, one pro'er for that shooter and an other one who wants to kill the first shooter. He would be refreshing at, what ? Maximum one time per second with no ajax, something like that, not even considering tireness, etc. Just take the shooter case now. Via skype or any other way, he could simply tell his pro'er when he shoots, at the exact moment. The message would reach the pro'er in some milliseconds (my average round trip time to reach the MR server going trough the atlantic is like 30~50ms, really, I'm not exagerating there), and the pro'er would react with a typical response time of 0.25 second. Again, his query would take some miliseconds to reach the MR server.. But as the initial shooter. That quite compensates that delay. Conclusion ? Quite a lot more chances to be pro'ed than being shot ? I don't really find that acceptable personally. Just taking a 2/3 shots per second make it largely fairer. I don't think ge can't get rid of ajax. We just have to find a correct balance between the server load and the fun/playability/etc.

Report Post Tip

Tony I mentioned this to Izzy last night, the current ajax system uses a third of the server load the old system used to use. So reverting would only increase server load further.

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: GAME CHANGE: Rate you can shoot per second.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL