Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 14:22:06
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
A Bit of Proofreading in the Tutorial Started by: timoteo_boccatorta on Sep 05, '08 16:33
I don't know if this kind of feedback is appreciated. If not, please let me know.

Here are some boo-boos I found in the tutorial (mafiareturns.com/help/tutorial.php):

Section 9 (Wacking), Subsection "Failed wack attacks"

"this will cause undue attention to you"

Problem: Debatable choice of verb ("cause")

Suggested fix:

"this will attract undue attention to you"

Section 9 (Wacking), Subsection "Popular ideas regarding wacking"

"the site admin do not give out all of the information"

Problem: Improperly conjugated verb, or missing letter

Suggested fix:

"the site admin does not give out all of the information"

OR

"the site admins do not give out all of the information"

Section 13 (Bodyguard Wack)

"there is a space for you to type in the the user's name"

Problem: Doubled-up word ("the")

Suggested fix:

"there is a space for you to type in the user's name"

Disclaimer Section

"It describes the game in it's current state"

Problem: Contraction "it's" (short for "it is") used incorrectly

Suggested fix:

"It describes the game in its current state"

An explanation of the last item: although it seems that "it's" might be used as a possessive, this is incorrect. Example: "It's good that Mafia Returns listens to its users." Hey, don't blame me; I didn't invent the rules of spelling.
Report Post Tip
So how about YOU fix it, then send it to an Admin, if your lucky, they'll fix it for you.
Report Post Tip
I don't know how to fix it. I just started here today. While reading the voluminous introductory material I saw something about reporting bugs. I figured that included typos and the like.

Anyway, if no interest is shown in this kind of report, or if I sent it to the wrong place, I can learn from my mistakes.
Report Post Tip
What he meant by 'fix it' is copy and paste the tutorial into a word processor, fix the errors, and then mail it to an admin so that it can be uploaded.
Report Post Tip
That sounds like a good idea, though it is based on the presumption that the tutorial is not subject to ongoing modifications by the admins themselves. I vaguely recall seeing a proposed "new version" in one of the news areas here. (I am not yet sufficiently familiar with this game to easily find it again — sorry about that.)

Anyway, if I was to edit the copy currently available to me, I might be working on a last-generation copy, which would mean that my efforts are all for naught. It's this kind of issue that brought about the creation of multiple-editor software such as Wikipedia.

Perhaps, at some future date, the admins might avail themselves of the Wiki software, or something similar. At such time I would gladly participate in the editing.
Report Post Tip
Using big words when you don't need to, makes me think you aren't really as smart as you would like people to believe you are. In fact, you annoy me.

If this type of feed back isn't appreciated, please let me know.
Report Post Tip
The tutorial is organized, updated and maintained by the userbase. When changes to the game mandate updating the tutorial, a user or users go through the tutorial and make the necessary changes.

There is a new version of the game coming out, which will eventually render this version of the tutorial obsolete, but not anytime soon.

If you wish to help out the community by revising the current edition and correcting any grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors, feel free to do so. If you do not wish to help out, continuing to point out these errors without expending the very small amount of additional effort to correct it is pedantic and demeaning to the people who put forth the effort to provide such an invaluable tool to the community in the first place.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: A Bit of Proofreading in the Tutorial
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL