Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 20:19:58
Page:  1 
Do you deserve what you have? Started by: Cab_Tufting on Oct 02, '08 08:20
It is a nippy October morning, the leaves on the trees have that look of death nearing and the long winter sleep to come. You stop at a park bench and take a seat next to the old man and listen carefully as he mutters........

So whats your role?

Are you the silent type, stealthily seeking out your quarry whilst they sleep unbeknown in their beds?

Are you the hardworking cash cow that every leader wants and needs, quietly going about your business frequenting the bars and street corners of this thing of ours?

Perhaps you are the workshy jail breaker merely concerned about your own advancement as opposed to working for the good of your family?

Or maybe you have a mouth on you and opinions you feel compelled to air?

Or are you an amalgamation of all the above, a complete mafioso if you will?

Each of these approaches have their merits, but unless you manage to amalgamate all of them into one "total" product you wont go far.

Lets break it down. I will use my bloodline as an example.

I run around, from city to city trying to make ends meet and keep not only myself Wealthy, but look to donate near everything I earn to the family. In return, I am provided with a degree of protection from trigger happy idiots. The amount of supposedly "good" folk I see running around rich worries me, I don't understand what value you think the money you run around with actually has; it would be far better spent by your respective leader and in turn would provide you with much more value in kind.

I jailbreak from time to time and try to provide a much needed service to those that share the family name, I don't like to see respectable mafioso like myself rotting away in the slammer; and why would I?

I am not a great wordsmith and as such you very rarely see me throwing my 10 cents worth into the public domain. Is this such a bad thing? Some would say yes but others, as is quite obvious, have no inclination to say anything and still seem to reach the dizzying heights of Capo, Boss and Consigliere. This does not lend any weight to the old analogy of quality over quantity as there is no quantity there to begin with let alone quality to pick from.

By setting this example of promotions for, dare I say it, friends and old time bloodlines does not inspire me with a huge amount of gusto to throw my thoughts and disdain out there. And at the end of the day, we all want a nice easy life right? We all like to lounge around hitting petty crimes, jails, felonies and the sweet taste of Success! But by behaving in such a manner does this make me a good mafioso? I think not; and I would not expect to grab my promotions within the family easily by behaving in such a manner.

So I guess this leads me onto the point at which bold is bestowed upon you. Does this mean you can fall silent and not offer your family any kind of public leadership? Does it give you the god given right to take a city and fall silent? Does your HQ come before giving long drawn out speeches to the general public? Did you get your bold suit from demonstrating all of the indicators of a good all round mafioso I mentioned, or were you bestowed it for work within the family, work which is not seen by the outside world?

Pondering the old mans frank and honest thoughts you continue on your way, unsure whether you feel enlightened or just downright confused........
Report Post Tip
Well this is definately something to think about. To answer this you first have to look at what you have. In my case I have my health, a tidy sum in the bank and the security in the fact I know when I wake up I will wake up.

Do I deserve all this, well thats not really for me to answer it's for those who give it to me to decide. I keep my hand in as best I can, keep my nose clean and kick back the majority of what I make to show my appreciation.

I think this would be a better suited question to those who hand out the gifts rather than those receiving the gifts. I'm pretty sure that those who have reached such lofty states would say straight out they deserve what they have been given, their arguement being why else would they be given it.

Are we going back to the time where things are just handed out because they are there, or because the person has done what is properly required of them to attain such a status.
Report Post Tip
The old mans shakes his head...

First of Dante, thank you for gracing these streets with a retort. It would seem you are the only one ballsy, possibly interesting enough to offer up any kind of thoughts to an old mans babbling.

"Well this is definitely something to think about. To answer this you first have to look at what you have. In my case I have my health, a tidy sum in the bank and the security in the fact I know when I wake up I will wake up."

Why do you have a tidy sum in the bank? What purpose does it serve sitting there? The last time I checked the banks offered us no kind of interest.

"Do I deserve all this, well that's not really for me to answer it's for those who give it to me to decide. I keep my hand in as best I can, keep my nose clean and kick back the majority of what I make to show my appreciation."

I guess whether you deserve it is down to those that bestow the honour on you, but do YOU think you deserve what you have?

"Are we going back to the time where things are just handed out because they are there, or because the person has done what is properly required of them to attain such a status."

And with this one, you have surpassed yourself and pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Flips on his hat and lights a Cuban before loping off down the road...
Report Post Tip
motions over to Cab to stop before continuing down the street

I would clarify one thing you picked up on, the tidy sum I have in the bank is not a great amount. It's merely a little petty cash incase a deal goes wrong or I have to help out some local officials.

lights up a smoke and takes a long draw

As for what I think about me deserving what I have. I'm just a wiseguy who doesn't have much, but yeah I've worked for what I have and never asked for hand outs.

takes another pull on his smoke and sighs

Fear is probably what keeps people away from conversations like this, as you've pointed out there are those who have been given things that can't really be explained, well not on the surface of things. People fear being caught in the spotlight, public ridicule and all that jazz. But then with the business we are in, we can be cocky. We can have what we have and not have to explain or answer to anyone who isn't our boss.

As for hitting the nail on the head, unfortunately thats the way things get in our thing from time to time. Complacency sets in and well we end up where we are.
Report Post Tip
mr tufting, i find myself listening to your speech and wondering there are any insinuations that promotions past Wise Guy are being handed out too easily. forgive me if i took that the wrong way of course, but that is merely what i took from your original speech.

as for your main points, i tend to agree with dante when he says that it's not for him to decide if he deserves what he has. using the example of rank, is that not decided by our crewleader? surely i have very little say in what rank is bestowed upon me. yes i have an influence in that i can work toward gaining ranks, but in the grand scheme of things my leader is the one that chooses whether or not i attain the next rank in the ladder.

*shrugs*

i am not one to express opinions often but when i find myself with an opinion, i will not hesitate to express it. i wouldn't define myself as a particularly good orator either. however, kudos to you for choosing to bring this topic of speech to the fore.
Report Post Tip
Fear is probably what keeps people away from conversations like this...

Speaking of hitting nails on the head, Dante I think you drilled this one home. Although I can only speak for myself but I know fear is a very big factor in what keeps me pretty silent in the streets. Be it fear of a CL or someone else taking what you said the wrong way and killing you (probably without letting you explain yourself), or of people who might speak more elequently than you berating you or putting you down for sounding stupid or just being a lowly rank.
Report Post Tip
Approaches the slowly gathering crowd of misfits.....

Yates, take from my mutterings what insinuations you will; I will neither confirm nor deny said insinuations.

Khloe, fear? What do you have to fear by coming to these streets? What do you think will happen to you for commenting truthfully on an insane old mans babblings? Do our current leadership give you the impression that free speech is not allowed?

I can assure you that anyone caught berating or putting you down for trying to be an active member of our community will be smote down in the quickest possible way; at least this is what I have been led to believe from my dealings with more than one of our leaders.

What I would find sad would be if more people begin or already have begun to think in the same way as you. If this is the case, then these streets of ours will die a slow and painful death. Do you want to be a part of that death?

Chews on the end of his cigar and looks wryly off into the distance.....
Report Post Tip
Khloe you've mistaken what I mean. When I said fear I didn't mean fear of being able to speak. More the fear of someone coming out here and saying that they have got what they deserve to then have someone cut them down and disprove why they have what they have.

Noone should fear coming to the streets, they are a vital part of our world and as long as you mind what you say you should have nothing to fear.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Do you deserve what you have?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL